Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by keeton
The others disagreed without seeing the bigger picture: By offering the 1 day HSIA as a gift, it validates Marriott charging for HSIA on a ongoing basis.

I do NOT want one-night HSIA as a Platinum amenity, I want HSIA available as complimentary anytime.
I disagree with your first paragraph - it is not offering it as a one day gift that validates Marriott charging for access, it is the people that actually spend the money to gain access. Marriott doesn't care if the money comes from the guest, or from their company, they see people willing to pay for access and thus see no reason to make it a brand wide free option.

I do agree with the second - I would like it to be free for the entire stay, but other then some exceptions here and there, I don't see that happening. And if that isn't going to happen, then I would at least like a choice of having some free acess, even if I have to give up some points or some beer and nuts. Not a choice I would specifically make, but there are others that would.

Offering one day of HSIA is a poor value at best (my company reimburses my use) and insulting at worst (in this day and time, it should be free).
Offering one day free is a poor value for you, since the company reimburses you. But for others, who pay out of pocket, this could be a great deal. Although it should be free, I do not see that Marriott is making a this or that decision - EITHER we will give them one day free OR we will make it free for everyone at all times. Until they make the choice to offer it free at all times, one day is better then nothing.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
At some properties it is working out quite well, thank you.

HISA was free (for all guests) at the Renaissance Meadowlands where I stayed last week.

HSIA was available for free at a Marriott in San Antonio (if you were close enough to the lobby ). And at many properties you can find a free wireless signal if you are close to the CL.

HSIA will be free at a Marriott in Wisconson where I'll be in a few weeks as part of my host's corporate rate.

Some of the properties out there are enlightened regarding their HSIA policies.

There have been many threads in this forum expressing resentment over the fact that full service properties charge for HSIA. Offering one day of HSIA is a poor value at best (my company reimburses my use) and insulting at worst (in this day and time, it should be free).
This is kind of off-topic, but I just returned from a stay at a FS Marriott where the HSIA was free (Rochester Airport - NY). The only problem was that it was awful service. I felt bad about complaining about the poor service, because the service was being provided for free. If I were paying the $10/day, I would have had no trouble asking Marriott to have their team of techno-whiz kids fix the Internets.

In my case, it seems as though they have switched their service provider to something cheaper (Time Warner) and have gotten lousy service, in return. We keep tossing the "in this day and age" phrase around, but in this day and age it is unacceptable to have a non-functional Internet connection in the room - for free or for pay.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Originally Posted by FLOIR
I am not going to make a reservation at CY, hoping it is a free breakfast one, only to get there and find out it is not. I stay away from CY unless the rate specifcally includes breakfast.

If the free breakfast were a published benefit, I would actually be more likely to stay at CY then a FS, just because I don't need the fancy stuff that a FS provides.

Before you ask - I am on per diem and get a set amount each day, so a free breakfast is a major factor for me.
I am not usually one to "+1" folks' comments, but, for me, I could have written this myself if I were more eloquent (and quicker!).
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:25 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
All THREE of the properties I stayed at this week have forgotten my amenity (2 FS and 1 RI). The Residence Inn I myself completely forgot about it but at the two FS properties, I was asked my choice at checkin but it was never delivered.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Marriott Concierge Feedback - Platinum Arrival Amenity (500 points)

I hashed this out with a Platinum CSR over the phone yesterday but I'd like input from others including the Marriott Concierge.

One of the perks of being Platinum is that we get a choice of an amenity when we check in. At full service hotels, we are also allowed to pick 500 Marriott points as an option.

And this is where the issue arises..If you pick anything but the points, the obligation of the hotel is that it is given to you at the front desk or delivered to your room in a timely fashion. Sometimes the front desk rep forgets to ask, or if they do ask, they fail to deliver it to your room. The T&C's are fairly clear about these scenarios; prior to check-out you can request compensation for the failure to deliver on the platinum arrival amenity.

Now, we take the red-headed stepchild of this perk...The 500 points. Which, almost never post before you check out. I believe I had only one instance where the points posted prior to checking out. The standard practice between myself and others is to call the Platinum Desk and have them manually add 500 points for this oversight. These points are then debited from the hotel itself. Why is there no compensation for having to spend time on the phone with a rep to reconcile these issues...sometimes more than once? I don't know if some hotels use this as a cost saving technique, but I know of one specific hotel that is notorious for not posting the points requiring a follow up call to the Platinum desk almost every time.

In an ideal world, I would think it's fair for Platinums who have to call and request the 500 point credit to have an additional amount of points credited to the account. For example, $100 worth of points for Full Service Marriotts, $50 worth of points for Courtyard..25$ for Residence Inns...etc. Is this a reasonable request or does Corporate just not care about this particular glaring oversight?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sounds fairly well thought out to me but with the way MI has implemented most of our benefits like defining what an upgrade really entails I don't see this being implemented anytime soon as it has no benefit to MI's bottom line.

--DD73
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
I've lost count on the number of times, I ask for the points on the desk, to be told that the "extra's" (Water and cookies") are already in the room.

Never been upgraded to a room, which I would consider "an upgrade" in any Marriott since becoming PLT 2 years ago.

Apart from my stays in the motel brands due to lack of choice in some cities, I think I will be heading to the local Sheraton if one exists.

BM
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
I've lost count on the number of times, I ask for the points on the desk, to be told that the "extra's" (Water and cookies") are already in the room.
I normally only get "Water and cookies" at the non-FS properties. And those properties don't normally give a points option. The FS properties usually give me a list of possible options to choose from (with points being one of those options.)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
The FS properties usually give me a list of possible options to choose from (with points being one of those options.)
Which occasionally "fail" to post....I'm not proposing anything radical....I'm proposing that when you call to have those missing 500 points posted to your account, they correctly post an additional amount for the "failure" to provide the platinum amenity.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Never had the 500 pts fail to post since I became a PLT.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by psychephylax
Now, we take the red-headed stepchild of this perk...The 500 points. Which, almost never post before you check out.
Which is the main reason I almost never choose the points. I think it is absurd that we, as the busiest travelers, have to constantly audit our accounts to ensure we get the benefits to which we are entitled.

Currently, the Platinum amenity points are a separate transaction that will (maybe) appear in your account a few days later. I offer the following suggestion: Have the point amenity as a line item on your bill so you can have proof of their being submitted before you check out. Not only would you have recourse if you wanted to enforce the $100 guarantee, you would have proof in hand if the points failed to post.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:59 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I would also be in for this! I am soooo tired of having to call..and sometimes MUCH more then once!

Why not do as a real hotel chain (Hyatt) does, and put the codes for the bonus ON the receipt? 500p or something like that under rate code? Then MR can nail them with PENALTY points!

Penalty points would be something like:
500 for posting properly...
3000 BONUS for NOT posting, plus the 500....

That will make the hotels ENSURE they post!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:32 am

Have the point amenity as a line item on your bill so you can have proof of their being submitted before you check out.
I like that idea but it may be more difficult to implement (in the short term) vs my suggestion, however..Ultimately I'd love to have your suggestion implemented. Also, what if the line item is there...yet the points aren't posted? We're almost back to square one regarding calling Customer Service.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:51 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by psychephylax
We're almost back to square one regarding calling Customer Service.
Actually, I've run into the issue where I was told I had chosen a different arrival amenity and not the points. Therefore, we had a few rounds of "discussions" before I was able to get my points. A line item would address that situation very nicely. There would be no doubt that I chose the points and should have received them.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently, the Platinum amenity points are a separate transaction that will (maybe) appear in your account a few days later.
Mine never show up as a separate transaction. They post with the hotel points:

Base Earnings 4,412 pts
Platinum Arrival Gift Bonus 500 pts
30% Elite Bonus 1,324 pts

I've had to call a couple times for the bonus 500 points but I've also had to call a couple times for the stay to show up. I may just be lucky but I just don't have much problem.

I've NEVER had any points post BEFORE I check-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.