FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1203504-platinum-arrival-gift-merged-threads.html)

psychephylax Feb 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Call the platinum line, some places are notorious for not giving you the 500 PAG bonus.

Doc_Holiday Feb 11, 2006 6:34 pm

I've done the same, or use the contact us thing on the web site. Just make sure you include the information. They'll fill it shortly.

This does bring up a potential issue with a "Gaurenteed Arival Gift". In order to claim the cash, you have to complain about it before you check out but I have yet to see any stay show up on the web site in less than 3 days. Really, if you have to ask for it a week after checking out, it seems to me you should be entitled to the cash since you were not given your arrival gift. But before anyone really thinks thats worth complaining about, the reality is they could drop the points as an option then we'd all be screwed. I always take the points.

Alger Feb 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday
In order to claim the cash, you have to complain about it before you check out

Wait a second. Does this mean that instead of going back to the front desk and asking them what happened to my arrival gift, I should have asked for cash instead?

I finally made Platinum last month, and had my first two stays as a Platinum this week. I had to ask for my arrival gift both times.

On the first stay - at a Fairfield Inn - I didn't get the gift because they upgraded my room (upon my request) at check-in. I walked back to the front desk to ask about it. The clerk actually went to my original room, and brought the gift down to the front desk for me.

On the second stay - at a Courtyard - there was just no mention of the gift. I walked back to the front desk to ask about it, and was offered my choice of a free trip through the water & snacks next to the front desk, or 500 points. (I took the points.)

Should I have just said, "Hey, no gift? Where's my cash?", or was this the right way to go about it. How long do they have to offer you the gift before you're entitled to cash? Do you have to walk away and then come back, or do they lose their chance to offer it to you as soon as they're done checking you in? Also, do they have to offer your the points as an alternative?

And where the heck is this documented on the Marriott web site, anyhow? There's some language about this in the fine print, but it's kind of vague.

LPCJr Feb 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alger
Should I have just said, "Hey, no gift? Where's my cash?", or was this the right way to go about it. How long do they have to offer you the gift before you're entitled to cash? Do you have to walk away and then come back, or do they lose their chance to offer it to you as soon as they're done checking you in? Also, do they have to offer your the points as an alternative?

The MR T&Cs state that they have to give you the gift on the day of arrival. I only had it happen once that the desk clerk didn't mention it when I checked in (this was at a FS). I kept my mouth shut and then the next morning went to the front desk and demanded my $100. :D

Points are only supposed to be an alternative at FS properties. Everywhere else, it's generally water and cookies.

Dudleydog73 Feb 12, 2006 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Points are only supposed to be an alternative at FS properties. Everywhere else, it's generally water and cookies.

This is so true. At a recent Courtyard stay in Overland Park, KS I was offered either some choices from the "sundrys store" or 250 points. I opted for the points and when they didnt show up I called the Platinum line.

I was told basically that only international Courtyards are authorized to give points and I was basically screwed since I didnt pick the cookies/water.

I was told I would have to take it up with the GM of the hotel "if indeed I was offered points instead of the standard gift" and I would not be eligible for any Platinum guarantee failure.

I figured it was not worth my time and let it go.

--DD73

clarkef Feb 13, 2006 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Alger
Wait a second. Does this mean that instead of going back to the front desk and asking them what happened to my arrival gift, I should have asked for cash instead?

No, I believe that if it's not OFFERED to you at check-in, then you have a claim.

OU812 Feb 13, 2006 7:55 am

In order to qualify for the Platinum Arrival Gift guarantee; your MR Platinum # must appear in the reservation. (So if you just made Plat. recently you should check your reservations to make sure its been updated.) Also, you must inform the hotel of its failure to provide the Platinum Arrival Gift prior to checking out.

RIP...

LH747FTL Feb 23, 2006 9:39 am

Arrival Gift Not Given, Guarantee Refused "Sir You are Only Gold"

Recently stayed at the Kuala Lumpur JW Marriott. No Plat arrival gift was given when checking in - no problem, upgraded to a suite, so I thought they'd have some sort of a gift or the card with choices (that happened a few times to me) waiting there. Nothing.

After getting back from some hopping 5 hours later, I complained in the lounge. It was obvious the gentleman had never heard of a such thing, and he called the "Guest Relations Manager" up. This is when it got interesting... He gave me a lecture about how I need to stay 75 nights a year and that I'm a gold member thus not entitled to the arrival gift. On top of having a valid Platinum card, having booked through Marriott.com, and "XXXXXXXXX - Platinum Member" on the confirmation email, I did indeed requalify last year as well, but that's beside the point.

I protested by showing my valid Platinum card, and said this should be a case of the elite benefits guarantee. It was obvious that he had not heard of such a thing or just didn't want to acknowledge it. Offered to make an exception this time to try to get the amenity (well, what is that anyway - where are the choices?). I said I want the points. He then lectured me that points can only be credited upon checkout... Thanks but I knew that. Just that they are offered upon arrival...

I didn't see any point continuing to argue with him after this. Pretty frustrating experience to be told you're a gold member when one has a valid Plat card. :rolleyes: Had he been reasonable, even though the rules state $100 cash, I would have taken a bunch of points and it would have been a win-win for both parties.

Any experience where to send this? Will the email addresses on marriott.com do?

Ironically we had much better service at the almost half price Renaissance KUL the night before.

CBrokaw Feb 23, 2006 1:01 pm

I have had bad experiences at Marriotts and Renaissance hotels in Malaysia. The staff don't seem very well trained, but as opposed to Thailand, the staff in Malaysia don't try to make things right. They spend more time arguing with you than trying to correct the situation. It is unacceptable.

I would send an email to guest relations. They will take care of you through points. The hotel manager and marriott guest relations should know about this.

LH747FTL Feb 23, 2006 3:58 pm

CBrokaw, Exactly my experience, and I will not leave it at this.

I know the Malaysian hotels have "good rates", but IMHO that's no excuse to skip the defined Marriott benefits. My no.1 choiuce would have been Hilton KUL for free, but I took two Marriott stays because of good Megabonus Promo.

I find this kind of treatment unacceptable.

dd992emo Feb 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Wow! And I thought we Hilton Diamonds were prima donnas... :D

LH747FTL Feb 24, 2006 5:37 am

At least he said he'd post the 500 points, but how surprising is this really... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :td:

02/19/06 - 02/20/06 JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Make another reservation >>

BASE EARNINGS

30% ELITE MEMBERSHIP BONUS

Sprite Feb 24, 2006 6:00 pm

Please post the Marrrott response when you receive it. Very curious how the arguing with the guest over his level goes over with Marriott.

NWA-PLAT Mar 5, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm gold and just got this 500 point bonus for a 1-night stay in London?

jasonpbyu Mar 17, 2006 11:42 am

Just reached platinum... couple of questions

Just hit platinum based on March to March... couple of questions (yes, I tried searching, didn't find exactly what i'm looking for).

How does the 'gift' work, when I check in, are they supposed to ask me if i want 500 points or a check in gift. I'm checking in to a Residence Inn on Monday, what is the typical gift at an R.I. ?

Now I've read on here many that have been awarded the cash for them neglecting offer a gift. So if i'm not offered a gift at check in, then how soon should i find the manager and request the cash? What is the amount of cash you are awarded at each of the properties should they not offer the gift.

Thanks!