Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
previously the URG certs were only provided at non-FS props and RCs to those w P status..........will the substitute points be the same??
sorry I'm working with about 3 hours of sleep after being up for 22 hour yesterday (had to attend a charity dinner last night and I was on the wrong coast to start with)

by URG are you meaning "Ultimate" cert? If so those were issued by all hotels regardless of location

Short answer is the benefits provided by the guarantee are not changing - only the method in which they are delivered (ie the 2 hotel rooms are now being issued in points versus a cert) and (because of the lack of sleep I won't say with 100% certainty) I'm believe it's a global change
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
Can marriott change your reservation without your permission?

Few weeks ago, I booked a reservation at Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View between December 24th to 26th.

Today I have received an email with following:
---------------------------------------------------
Dear sunrider101

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel for your upcoming stay in Hong Kong during December 24-26, 2013. We would like to enhance your travel experience, however, due to an unforeseen situation that we will encounter over these dates, your room reservation has been relocated to the Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin , located at 1 On Ping Street, Sha Tin. And please find enclosed as your confirmation of the booking and link to the hotel for your reference.
Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin strategically located in Sha Tin, with a mere 5-minute walk to the MTR Shek Mun Station (Ma On Shan Line), the 539-room Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin features stylish rooms with tranquil views of the Shing Mun River, offering smart and practical choices to make your stay energized and productive. We are confident you would find this hotel to your satisfaction.

We humbly apologize for having to move you and any inconveniences this causes and are here to help in any way we can during your time in Hong Kong.

We greatly appreciate your understanding.

-----------------------------------------

I am curious to hear if this is common, and what should be my course of action regard to this?

Sha tin is about 45-50 minutes away from the island, so i am not too thrilled about being moved to there.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Your profile says you're Platinum. Could you claim the ultimate guarantee for being walked?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are the details of the new reservation regarding rates, room type, etc. and how does this compare to your original reservation?

First check and compare the old and new hotel categories, rates, facilities, etc.

Then call the Marriott Plat line, assuming that you booked through them, and see what they can do for you. The hotel you booked and Marriott should work together to find a solution that you consider acceptable, such as a free guaranteed suite upgrade, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
per the URG you're entitled to first night at substitute hotel (and IMO I do NOT consider the CY an acceptable alternative to the Ren) paid for by hotel not honoring your resee, $200 in cash comp as well as 2 Ultimate Certs (if it happened next yr then 90,000 MR points) and nothing less........
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Originally Posted by sunrider101
Few weeks ago, I booked a reservation at Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View between December 24th to 26th.

Today I have received an email with following:
---------------------------------------------------
Dear sunrider101

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel for your upcoming stay in Hong Kong during December 24-26, 2013. We would like to enhance your travel experience, however, due to an unforeseen situation that we will encounter over these dates, your room reservation has been relocated to the Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin , located at 1 On Ping Street, Sha Tin. And please find enclosed as your confirmation of the booking and link to the hotel for your reference.
Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin strategically located in Sha Tin, with a mere 5-minute walk to the MTR Shek Mun Station (Ma On Shan Line), the 539-room Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin features stylish rooms with tranquil views of the Shing Mun River, offering smart and practical choices to make your stay energized and productive. We are confident you would find this hotel to your satisfaction.

We humbly apologize for having to move you and any inconveniences this causes and are here to help in any way we can during your time in Hong Kong.

We greatly appreciate your understanding.

-----------------------------------------

I am curious to hear if this is common, and what should be my course of action regard to this?

Sha tin is about 45-50 minutes away from the island, so i am not too thrilled about being moved to there.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I agree with BKKLEE here, save to add that the guarantee requires you be accommodated in a nearby hotel, and by your description the CY doesn't sound particularly "nearby". Find an equivalent hotel nearby and push for that...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
I have heard of hotels not honoring the reservation guarantee in similar instances, due to the verbiage in the t&c's that refer to a member being "relocated from the hotel at arrival." In this case, you're being relocated prior to arrival. A technicality yes, but I fear you may encounter this problem. Are there other suitable options with availability? You should have a backup plan in case Marriott will not resolve this to your liking.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:16 am
Suspended

bottom line of this hotels action is that they are not honoring OPs reservation, whether that be as an anticipatory breach or other....

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I have heard of hotels not honoring the reservation guarantee in similar instances, due to the verbiage in the t&c's that refer to a member being "relocated from the hotel at arrival." In this case, you're being relocated prior to arrival. A technicality yes, but I fear you may encounter this problem. Are there other suitable options with availability? You should have a backup plan in case Marriott will not resolve this to your liking.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Not a comparable hotel, not a comparable location. Call Customer Service.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Wow. Not a comparable hotel, not a comparable location. Call Customer Service.
+1
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:48 pm

Thanks guys, i will try calling them. I will let you know what happens.

I should change my profile. I am gold now, rather than plat, so that sucks =/
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Before you call, try to figure out what you want and what you would accept. You might try to arrange an alternate fully refundable reservation on your own first.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before you call, try to figure out what you want and what you would accept. You might try to arrange an alternate fully refundable reservation on your own first.
good point. i already booked 2 award night stay on same hotel that they kicked me out of. i demand to stay there
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:26 pm
Suspended

doesn't matter, walked from Ren then G or P entitled to exactly the same URG benefits as previously cited....

Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:03 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Just got walked for the first time...

700+ nights at Marriott and I just got walked for the first time. Last-minute business trip and most hotels in the area were sold out. I made a reservation about an hour before showing up at a Residence Inn. I arrived around 10pm and the front desk clerk mentioned ALL rooms have been taken and they would move me to another property. Eventually, it was around 11:15pm by the time I actually got to my next hotel -- total waste of time.

I had to remind her that I'm a Platinum and show her the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee description from the Marriott website on my phone. She offered to pay for the taxi to the new hotel (Fairfield Inn San Carlos ... yuk). She said that the manager would issue a $100 check via the Corporate Office. I thought it was $100 cash offered on the spot, but I'll see if they come through with this.

Also, they agreed to pay for my room at the next hotel. I'm on a business, so it would only benefit my employer and not me. Given the amount of time wasted, I would like receive the benefit and not my employer. Any suggestions for how to negotiate this with the hotel? Can I pay for the room at the new hotel with my credit card, and request the original property compensate me in that same amount?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.