Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
You got a great deal-3 nights at ANY courtyard(!?!)way more value than the $100 cash.And maybe these are transferable?So even if you"never pay"for hotel accomdations you can now treat a friend or family member to a nice long weekend-Very astute g.m. turned your frown upside down with no sweat
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
FYI you are suppose to receive credit for your stay as if you had actually stayed there instead of being walked (ie 1 night room credit & credit for room & tax)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Originally Posted by socrates
FYI you are suppose to receive credit for your stay as if you had actually stayed there instead of being walked (ie 1 night room credit & credit for room & tax)

Socrates, spoke to the Rewards desk person who then spoke with his supervisor. Both had no clue on how to do what you suggested that I receive. Any suggestion on how I may "guide" them?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
Socrates, spoke to the Rewards desk person who then spoke with his supervisor. Both had no clue on how to do what you suggested that I receive. Any suggestion on how I may "guide" them?
The hotel was suppose to process this for you, if they have not I would call back and tell them you were "walked" and were never credited for your stay. If you have issues pls pm me
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Angry

Had the same happen to me during the Detroit Auto Show this past Feb. I was meeting the President of OnStar at 7:30 across the street in downtown Detroit and arrived at 2:00AM. Ended up in Southfield 1 hr later, so got to bed at 3:00am and had to be up at 5:00am in order to make it to the Ren Cen in time.

I contacted Marriott HQ and got a lot of tsk tsking which ended up with the local Gen Mgr setting me up in a corner room with a free bottle of wine and a cheese plate the next day. Nice wine, but that was it. I didn't ask for anything as I was more curious about how sincere they would be. They weren't.....

As a long time Platinum customer and notifying the HQ, I quit staying at Marriott and moved to Hilton after all these years. Have 800,000 points left to use up with Mariott and then I am gone forever.

I think Marriott has lost their customer focus. They certainly lost this long time customer!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
Had a reservation in a Courtyard in Albany, GA. Arrived at 2:30 AM. Night clerk apolegetically told me that due to guests extending their stay, the property was oversold and no rooms available. Set me up at a Sleep Inn 5 miles down the road. Was too beat to even listen to anything else. --- Next day I went to see the GM. Explained the situation. Without bearly finishing the end of the story, the GM presented me with 3 Platinum Guest coupons, each good for any Courtyard 1 night stay at anytime plus 5000 points. Of course my previous night was comped. Excellent way to handle situation. GM Karla Williams deserves high praise for turning a poor situation into a pleasant one.
The official benefit, IIRC, is $100.00 cash in hand (or voucher, not sure which), coupons worth 2 nights free stay, arrange hotel stay at equivalent property that is comped by Marriott Properties. It sounds like they offered you 5K points instead of the $100.00. Marriott and Renaissance properties offer $200.00 cash.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
The official benefit, IIRC, is $100.00 cash in hand (or voucher, not sure which), coupons worth 2 nights free stay, arrange hotel stay at equivalent property that is comped by Marriott Properties. It sounds like they offered you 5K points instead of the $100.00. Marriott and Renaissance properties offer $200.00 cash.
FYI I believe (my info may be out of date) the $$ varies by elite level
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
I may be wrong, but...

Originally Posted by socrates
FYI I believe (my info may be out of date) the $$ varies by elite level
I think the variance is on property type...not elite level. The elite Ult Res Guarantee (item 7 quoted from RM T&C above) seems to be the same for all levels.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:58 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Had the same happen to me during the Detroit Auto Show this past Feb. I was meeting the President of OnStar at 7:30 across the street in downtown Detroit and arrived at 2:00AM. Ended up in Southfield 1 hr later, so got to bed at 3:00am and had to be up at 5:00am in order to make it to the Ren Cen in time.

I contacted Marriott HQ and got a lot of tsk tsking which ended up with the local Gen Mgr setting me up in a corner room with a free bottle of wine and a cheese plate the next day. Nice wine, but that was it. I didn't ask for anything as I was more curious about how sincere they would be. They weren't.....

As a long time Platinum customer and notifying the HQ, I quit staying at Marriott and moved to Hilton after all these years. Have 800,000 points left to use up with Mariott and then I am gone forever.

I think Marriott has lost their customer focus. They certainly lost this long time customer!
This is a side bar about your comment in regards to the Detroit Ren Cen and getting walked during the Auto Show. There was a reason for it, and the only reason was I got caught up in it too. All hotels typically sell out during the Auto show, but this past year there were some terrible snow storms right during the show (shut down DTW & ORD) for almost 2 days. All the distressed passengers (including me) had nowhere to stay. I slept at DTW in a chair because I had a early flight the next day and the only hotels available were too far away. Just to let you know, I was flying NWA (I am gold) and they could not find me a room (disregarding my HH & MR status). The NWA World Perks agent referred to it as a "perfect storm" and said it was the worst thing that could have happened at the worst time. It doesn't make your situation right (or mine for that manner), but it may not be a reason to dislike Marriott after years of loyalty. Sometimes sh*! just happens, no matter who you are.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by marquiss22
It doesn't make your situation right (or mine for that manner), but it may not be a reason to dislike Marriott after years of loyalty. Sometimes sh*! just happens, no matter who you are.
Sounds like the OP understands that stuff happens. His issue was Marriott's failure to make good after the fact.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbedgood
I think the variance is on property type...not elite level. The elite Ult Res Guarantee (item 7 quoted from RM T&C above) seems to be the same for all levels.
You are correct...it has changed....Years ago Platinums received more than Blacks, Golds, & Silvers (for those that remember the Black level, yes it has been awhile )

The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number and a valid credit card number must be part of your reservation. If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand (see below):
At Marriott Hotels & Resorts; Renaissance Hotels & Resorts; Marriott Conference Centers; Marriott Vacation Club International; and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club: Alternative accommodations, plus $200 and 2 free room certificates.

At Courtyard by Marriott; Fairfield Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott; Residence Inn by Marriott; and TownePlace Suites by Marriott: Alternative accommodations, plus $100. (Platinum members also receive 2 free room certificates.)
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Sounds good

Sounds like you got a good deal.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:32 am

Considering where you were

Having grown up in Albany GA, and being very familiar with the area, I am surprised that you had such a good experience with the GM, I congratulate Marriott on their training. You did very well indeed.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ohmark
Sounds like the OP understands that stuff happens. His issue was Marriott's failure to make good after the fact.
Exactly. And I even gave Marriott HQ the opportunity to have a discussion with him and the end result was next to nil.

I've discussed abnormal operations with Marriott several times in the past (they used to be my customer) and they ignore all opportunities to modernize. Examples are automatic updates via SMS, email, voicemail when a cancellation takes place. If they had done this, I would have known at DFW that my room was cancelled and that they could get me into the Southfield Courtyard (another strange thing about NW not finding rooms, there were plenty at this Courtyard). But noooo, Marriott would rather have a Plat customer take a 40 min ride downtown to find out that he's been locked out, then another 30 min ride to Southfield to finally get some sleep in the middle of the night. That's the reason I've quit spending with Marriott. They know they have a problem, they have a fairly inexpensive way to communicate with their best customers, and the refuse to do anything about it.

Funny that people got stuck with NW cancelling outbound flights as all inbound non-NW flights were coming in with no problem at all. I am originally from Michigan and have seen NW cancel flights when one snowflake is spotted hundreds of miles away. One of the best things about moving away from Michigan is permanently putting NW behind me.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Almost got walked last night at Fairfield EWR and I wish they did walk me somewhere else! Booked reservation at 6:30PM at marriot.com. Arrived at hotel 8:15PM. Front desk stated that hotel was full as of 12 noon that day. Clerk stated that the Springhill and Courtyard was also full. Marriott EWR had space but she needed to refer me to the manager.

Manager comes out. I explain the situation and she claims she didn't need to send me anywhere!!! At this point, I called Marriott Elite line and was on hold. While I was on hold, the manager went back to her office behind the front desk. Once I got a CSR on the elite line, I had them call the manager to sort it out. Five minutes later, the manager comes back out and gives me someone else's room. I guess she didn't wanted to pay the compensation for walking.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 19, 2005 at 8:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.