Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xar
2 weeks before my check in i saw that the room assigned to me was a CA suite but the day before my checked in, it "dropped" to deluxe to which i pinged the hotel thru the chat and the best they could do was a 1 category upgrade to "Grand Deluxe"
lol join the club. I don't know any other property that so consistently teases with false upgrades. I find it quite off-putting.
Originally Posted by xar
Sport / Golf Club view. Its nice the first time you see it after which you just tired of it since you see the same view while at the bar or the pool.
That's kind of YMMV. I really enjoy this view. You can also see Bangkok skyline beyond, quite nice for sunset and/or when there's a thunderstorm.
Originally Posted by xar
Swimming Pool is on the 14th floor. Not very big hence it was forgettable.
The pool is IMO reasonably sized for an urban hotel. You're in the middle of a city of 8 million, with space at a premium. The only property I know with a materially larger one is Athenee.
Originally Posted by xar
He also shared that max they can upgrade are to the metro suites. CA and above are speciality suites which has to be paid for but they do offer very attractive rates for elite guests.
That's obviously a lie, but this property consistently lies about its upgrade policies.
Originally Posted by xar
He goes back to tell me that my Grand Deluxe was actually better than the metro suite due to the facing and at times metro suite "can be too dark" {his own words, not sure what it meant}
The Metropolitan suites are at the rear of the building and have no view. Unless I specifically needed the separate room, I would take Grand Deluxe.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:07 am
kkl

With the system being wiped after last year's integration, I've done about 15 nights over 3 stays. Have a 2 night stay in few months be interesting to see if any upgrade available especially in low season
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Nice review Xar, glad you enjoyed your stay overall. It seems the upgrade policy applied to regulars plus ambassador is more generous, which obviously has its plus and minuses depending on where you are in that scale. For what it’s worth, there’s only one hotel in Asia that has done the upgrade / downgrade trick to me, and I shall leave it nameless since mention of that hotel on this thread seems to bring out the bad in some members

I think you made the right decision in the end, as the USD300+ is better spent elsewhere. The pool is a little forgettable I agree (it’s nicer at night I think), and the total area is smaller than it first seems, the spa is indeed a much nicer place to relax. Grande Deluxe rooms have lovely views and I’m particularly fond of the 02 series, which is about 1/3 bigger than the others (I’d take one over the met suites)... the view to the sports club is the main benefit, and so yes the met suites would be quite dark / lacking in view by comparison.

I’m checking in to the St Regis again next month, so I’ll let you how it goes (and let me know if you try elsewhere in Bangkok / what you think).

Last edited by EGW1; Jul 14, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EGW1
It seems the upgrade policy applied to regulars plus ambassador is more generous....
But isn't that the way it's supposed to be? The point of these programs is to recognize your best customers and treat them a little better, give them a little more.
EGW1 likes this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jul 14, 2019 at 6:30 pm Reason: Correct typo.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But isn't that the way it's supposed to be? The point of these programs is to recognize your beset customers and treat them a little better, give them a little more.
Indeed. This property seems to be reasonably good at delivering on what it is required to do for Platinums and Titaniums -- upgrade to standard suite if available. Not to mention that it throws in a bunch of other stuff it's not required to do, like happy hour and laundry. I see no problem with a hotel going further above and beyond only some of the time, and doing it for ambassadors and regulars seems like an eminently reasonable distinction to make.
EGW1 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As 1st time Titanium guest at StR Bangkok, I was upgraded to a CA suite.

On a subsequent stay, I was downgraded from an SNA confirmed upgrade to the CA suite back to Grand Deluxe (and then up to Metropolitan, which I didn't want, when I followed up about the improper downgrade).

This property's upgrade policies are (i) not as represented, and (ii) completely messed up.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But isn't that the way it's supposed to be? The point of these programs is to recognize your best customers and treat them a little better, give them a little more.
Indeed, it works well for me, but perhaps is disappointing for others. If someone has been pre upgraded in the app, but an ambassador plus regular makes a last minute booking or a special request, it seems sensible to me to afford the upgrade to the ambassador/regular. The downside of course is that someone else misses out. What happens far more often (I suspect / experience says) is that hotels are not willing to revoke in app upgrades in favour of Ambassadors, (SNAs into correct categories aside) which slightly defeats the point of being an ambassador IMHO.

A good example might be when I do a last minute extension of my stay - let’s say I’m in a CA and due to check out Monday, someone has an in app upgrade afforded to them, on the Sunday I asked to extend to the Wednesday ... the choice could be ask me to pack up and move rooms to allow the other guest the upgrade, or allow me to stay in the room, and revoke the upgrade for the other guest.

Last edited by EGW1; Jul 14, 2019 at 9:06 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:04 pm

If someone has been pre upgraded in the app
Which this property will do, and then claim that they don't upgrade to the CA suite. Which is obviously false.

It may be okay to you, but most of us don't appreciate being lied to.

which slightly defeats the point of being an ambassador IMHO.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Which this property will do, and then claim that they don't upgrade to the CA suite. Which is obviously false.

It may be okay to you, but most of us don't appreciate being lied to.

I would agree the upgrade policy should be consistent, but that’s separate to the point I was responding to around treatment of higher tier / regular guests. In that context, the roll-eyes are unnecessary, but of course entirely predictable.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:49 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Nice review Xar, glad you enjoyed your stay overall. It seems the upgrade policy applied to regulars plus ambassador is more generous, which obviously has its plus and minuses depending on where you are in that scale. For what it’s worth, there’s only one hotel in Asia that has done the upgrade / downgrade trick to me, and I shall leave it nameless since mention of that hotel on this thread seems to bring out the bad in some members

I think you made the right decision in the end, as the USD300+ is better spent elsewhere. The pool is a little forgettable I agree (it’s nicer at night I think), and the total area is smaller than it first seems, the spa is indeed a much nicer place to relax. Grande Deluxe rooms have lovely views and I’m particularly fond of the 02 series, which is about 1/3 bigger than the others (I’d take one over the met suites)... the view to the sports club is the main benefit, and so yes the met suites would be quite dark / lacking in view by comparison.

I’m checking in to the St Regis again next month, so I’ll let you how it goes (and let me know if you try elsewhere in Bangkok / what you think).

Floor Plan on level 20

The "View" from 2002 Grand Deluxe
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:35 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

I would agree the upgrade policy should be consistent, but that’s separate to the point I was responding to around treatment of higher tier / regular guests. In that context, the roll-eyes are unnecessary, but of course entirely predictable.
Agreed. Obviously a repeat guest with status trumps a guest on their first stay with status. It's hotel recognition 101.
EGW1 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Kacee
As 1st time Titanium guest at StR Bangkok, I was upgraded to a CA suite.

On a subsequent stay, I was downgraded from an SNA confirmed upgrade to the CA suite back to Grand Deluxe (and then up to Metropolitan, which I didn't want, when I followed up about the improper downgrade).

This property's upgrade policies are (i) not as represented, and (ii) completely messed up.
what was the reason for the downgrade & did they return the sna????
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by xar

Floor Plan on level 20

The "View" from 2002 Grand Deluxe
That’s the one! 11-13 are the met suites / grand met suites. 24 & 25 are the CA suites.
xar likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Loving the new “ambassador welcome chocolate” ^ Tastes pretty good too

dgreen12, bhrubin and kaizen7 like this.

Last edited by EGW1; Aug 10, 2019 at 7:40 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
what was the reason for the downgrade & did they return the sna????
"CA suite is not an SNA upgrade option" (despite it being offered on the booking page as one) and no they did not return the SNA.

I did have a discussion with a manager about my room roulette experience and ultimately was satisfied with the service recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.