Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:24 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, StR undoubtedly attracts a more showy "look at how wealthy I am" crowd. At the same time, it does not get the tour groups, which is a plus. Though that business seems to have dropped at SGS, likely due to China's economic issues.

Room service and spa at SGS are much better. StR wins on hard product, no one will dispute that. Location is a wash, as each has its advantages (and both are very good).

As far as use of SNA, I would recommend using one at SGS to move from base room to Grand or Luxury Suite. At StR, I'd book Grand Deluxe and be happy with that, or book StR Suite and hope for upgrade to CA Suite.
Interesting. I am on award stay so not sure what upgrade(s) I might get. Having said that possible to be on an award stay and "top up" for a better room? Anyone had success in this yet? If yes, how does one go about initiating this? Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xar
Interesting. I am on award stay so not sure what upgrade(s) I might get. Having said that possible to be on an award stay and "top up" for a better room? Anyone had success in this yet? If yes, how does one go about initiating this? Thanks.
Both properties will upgrade you on an award stay subject to availability. You're unlikely to get upgraded beyond a Grand Suite at SGS or Metropolitan Suite at StR, though nothing's written in stone.

The Bangkok Marriott/SPG properties are among the best in the world in their treatment of elites.
EuropeanPete and xar like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Yes, StR undoubtedly attracts a more showy "look at how wealthy I am" crowd. At the same time, it does not get the tour groups, which is a plus. Though that business seems to have dropped at SGS, likely due to China's economic issues.

Room service and spa at SGS are much better. StR wins on hard product, no one will dispute that. Location is a wash, as each has its advantages (and both are very good).

As far as use of SNA, I would recommend using one at SGS to move from base room to Grand or Luxury Suite. At StR, I'd book Grand Deluxe and be happy with that, or book StR Suite and hope for upgrade to CA Suite.
Nice try! All in your opinion Kacee, which is generally not one which I agree with. I wouldn’t describe the clientele as “showy” etc, just different to that of the SGS and a quick visit to each easily identifies personal preferences of one over the other - they are to my mind very different hotels catering to different clientele, and I much prefer the StR.

StR rooms are better, as is the Elemis spa, as is the room service with JoJo Italian and Zuma Japanese options, as is the general sophisticated and modern ambience (at least for me).

SGS, unfortunately, had a relatively seedy vibe (and has a reputation of being so among locals I know, including Mrs EGW) and is not ideally located for my needs, and the luxury / grand suites are not really that impressive, with the StR Met suites being better in my opinion.

Last edited by EGW1; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by xar
For cash top ups, ask at reception on check-in. I’ve known colleagues to be offered where there is availability, and I myself have been offered and accepted in the past to suites beyond the Caroline Astor. The reception staff are usually very accommodating and will try their best. Go for StR, have dinner at the Waldorf Astoria down the road, have a cocktail at the Anantara next door, do some shopping at Gaysorn or Central or Paragon. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

xar likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I have to say that I’m with Kacee on almost all of the points of disagreement. The claim on room service is surely the least contentious: The SGS has 24/7 access to quality menus from 5 different cuisines and in my opinion is the best room service menu in any hotel that I’ve ever visited by quite some distance. The St Regis if I remember correctly is just a typical city-based menu with your usual Caesar salad, pad Thai and seared salmon.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I have to say that I’m with Kacee on almost all of the points of disagreement. The claim on room service is surely the least contentious: The SGS has 24/7 access to quality menus from 5 different cuisines and in my opinion is the best room service menu in any hotel that I’ve ever visited by quite some distance. The St Regis if I remember correctly is just a typical city-based menu with your usual Caesar salad, pad Thai and seared salmon.
StR has JoJo, Zuma etc. It just depends what you prefer. I guess I just don’t like the SGS, to me it’s old and dare I say a bit sleazy at times, not helped by the location, but I know it has many fans. Since this is the StR forum and I really do like it, I give my honest view. For room service quality and variety, Mandarin Oriental is by far the best!

Last edited by EGW1; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EGW1
For room service quality and variety, Mandarin Oriental is by far the best!
Their room service breakfast selection and quality is out of this world amazing.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Nice try! All in your opinion Kacee, which is generally not one which I agree with. ...SGS, unfortunately, had a relatively seedy vibe (and has a reputation of being so among locals I know, including Mrs EGW) ... and the luxury / grand suites are not really that impressive, with the StR Met suites being better in my opinion.
I will vote for SGS over StR. (Full disclosure, I've never stayed overnight at StR, but visited it twice, once just to walk through public area, and the other time visiting a friend in his suite.) SGS? Seedy vibe?? Please. I've never experienced a seedy vibe or even heard anyone say anything close to that. Can you give me a hint? What about SGS do you or Mrs. EGW1 find seedy? Although I agree that the StR hard product may, indeed, may be more modern luxurious, I find that the décor at SGS works just fine for me. To me, luxury in terms of hard product conjures up images of the capitals of old Europe, acres of veined marble, highly polished brass everywhere, all in a building that's maintained spotlessly clean. That's SGS. Of course, everyone's opinion is different.

I guess I just don’t like the SGS....
Ah, there you go. That may have more to do with this conversation than any objective standard or measure.

... SGS ... to me it’s old and dare I say a bit sleazy at times....
Again, what do you find sleazy about it?

... SGS ... not helped by the location....
I'm having difficulty seeing how StR's location is better objectively. SGS is at both BTS and MRT stations. Both are accessible by elevated, covered walkway directly from the hotel's lobby (ideal for rainy season). Traffic may be slightly better at times at StR; there are definitely times when traffic on Suk is so bad that I don't bother with a taxi or hotel car. Other than that, how do you feel that StR's location is better?
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I will vote for SGS over StR. (Full disclosure, I've never stayed overnight at StR, but visited it twice, once just to walk through public area, and the other time visiting a friend in his suite.) SGS? Seedy vibe?? Please. I've never experienced a seedy vibe or even heard anyone say anything close to that. Can you give me a hint? What about SGS do you or Mrs. EGW1 find seedy? Although I agree that the StR hard product may, indeed, may be more modern luxurious, I find that the décor at SGS works just fine for me. To me, luxury in terms of hard product conjures up images of the capitals of old Europe, acres of veined marble, highly polished brass everywhere, all in a building that's maintained spotlessly clean. That's SGS. Of course, everyone's opinion is different.

Ah, there you go. That may have more to do with this conversation than any objective standard or measure.

I'm having difficulty seeing how StR's location is better objectively. SGS is at both BTS and MRT stations. Both are accessible by elevated, covered walkway directly from the hotel's lobby (ideal for rainy season). Traffic may be slightly better at times at StR; there are definitely times when traffic on Suk is so bad that I don't bother with a taxi or hotel car. Other than that, how do you feel that StR's location is better?
you've never actually stayed overnight at STR so your views are even less objective than OP who has stayed at both...

I like SGS a lot but it is old (I can't really tell there were renovations) and seedy at times. I don't mind seediness. I like people have freedom to choose.

But last time I was there with my and son, 5 drunk Japanese guys and their partners for the evening joined us in the elevator. Again, I have no problem with that but again it is a relaxed environment for that. But then again every BKK hotel I've stayed at has that vibe except maybe MO and peninsula
EGW1 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

A preference is by definition subjective. As I always say, it depends on what you are personally looking for, so I’m reluctant to continue giving my views on the SGS based on my own preferences, where I clearly prefer the StR, and the original question was in relation to the value in using a SNA at the StR versus the SGS. I think it’s generally ok to admit you don’t like something and have a preference for something else, that’s life! It seems any criticism of the SGS on this forum invokes mass rage and sarcasms ... we are all allowed to have opinions!

For me the StR location is better - Rajadamri Road is to me a nicer and more convenient location for what I want to do and what I want to visit, and having lovely views to the Sports Club also...personally I don’t like the location of the SGS and the surrounding Sois, I prefer the openness of the StR, going to the neighbouring hotels, going to Gaysorn and Paragon, taking the BTS to Sathorn etc.

Maybe I have been very unlucky, but sitting in the lobby it was very obvious to see Caucasian expats of a certain age with their ladies of the night, groups of men enjoying a few too many drinks and a bit rowdy etc in the lobby, elevators, poolside, wandering eyes etc ... I don’t need to spell it out, lol. That’s in my view seedy and sleazy, but each to their own, and the behaviour itself doesn’t necessarily bother me, I just wouldn’t choose to frequent somewhere with that vibe. Among the many locals I know, the SGS wouldn’t be where we would arrange to meet or have dinner etc and it wouldn’t be where I’d host my nearest and dearest ... we’d all be more comfortable in the StR or WA or MO.

I’m not discouraging anyone from enjoying the SGS, if it’s a favourite or a preference for you and others, that’s wonderful. But personally and subjectively, it doesn’t work for me and I wouldn’t recommend it. If an OP is thinking of which to stay at, my best advice is to walk into the lobby / reception areas of each ... you can instantly tell which one is for you.

Last edited by EGW1; Jun 22, 2019 at 12:01 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SGS is actually quite popular with wealthier locals, particularly the Sunday brunch (much like GH Erawan). And also the evening jazz in the Living Room. So I find the comments about "seedy" rather odd.

I've seen plenty of unseemly behavior at StR, particularly at the pool.

They are both nice properties. If you took SGS out of the equation, I'd probably be staying at StR more than anywhere else.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:10 am

SGS is actually quite popular with wealthier locals, particularly the Sunday brunch (much like GH Erawan). And also the evening jazz in the Living Room. So I find the comments about "seedy" rather odd.

I've seen plenty of unseemly behavior at StR, particularly at the pool.

They are both nice properties. If you took SGS out of the equation, I'd probably be staying at StR more than anywhere else.
GH Erawan shares many vibe similarities to the SGS...I’ll leave it at that, and agree to disagree!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:31 am

GH Erawan shares many vibe similarities to the SGS...I’ll leave it at that, and agree to disagree!
You clearly missed the point. Both properties draw a highly respectable Thai crowd for events, including particularly the Sunday brunch. This is the antithesis of a "seedy" establishment.

Did SGS staff not bow and scrape sufficiently for you? That seems to be what some of our StR lovers on this forum really like.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:19 am

You clearly missed the point. Both properties draw a highly respectable Thai crowd for events, including particularly the Sunday brunch. This is the antithesis of a "seedy" establishment.

Did SGS staff not bow and scrape sufficiently for you? That seems to be what some of our StR lovers on this forum really like.
On the contrary I got the point you were trying to make, I just didn’t agree with it, and you’ve missed the comparison I was making. Since you’ve turned it personal with rather uncouth remarks, nothing further from me - your behaviour has wonderfully self exemplified why I would rather frequent the StR.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
A preference is by definition subjective. As I always say, it depends on what you are personally looking for, so I’m reluctant to continue giving my views on the SGS based on my own preferences, where I clearly prefer the StR, and the original question was in relation to the value in using a SNA at the StR versus the SGS. I think it’s generally ok to admit you don’t like something and have a preference for something else, that’s life! It seems any criticism of the SGS on this forum invokes mass rage and sarcasms ... we are all allowed to have opinions!
No rage and sarcasm here. Clearly there are differences. I find StRs generally more formal (although, as noted above, I can't really speak to StR Bangkok). The SGS service style tends to be less formal, friendlier, warmer, which I prefer.

Maybe I have been very unlucky, but sitting in the lobby it was very obvious to see Caucasian expats of a certain age with their ladies of the night, groups of men enjoying a few too many drinks and a bit rowdy etc in the lobby, elevators, poolside, wandering eyes etc ... I don’t need to spell it out, lol. That’s in my view seedy and sleazy, but each to their own, and the behaviour itself doesn’t necessarily bother me, I just wouldn’t choose to frequent somewhere with that vibe. Among the many locals I know, the SGS wouldn’t be where we would arrange to meet or have dinner etc and it wouldn’t be where I’d host my nearest and dearest ... we’d all be more comfortable in the StR or WA or MO.
Interesting, -- I've never witnessed that in the SGS lobby. Once in a while in BarSu; but my impression is that they don't really care as long as everyone is well behaved. People who drink too much and get loud, obnoxious and generally out of control are problems anywhere, especially in locales where alcohol is served.

In any case, none of that matters. You're comfortable where you're comfortable; and that's where you should stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.