Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: Some
I think the problem with the St. Regis is perhaps inconsistency, yes they are capable of providing exceptional service and I have seen this but this is not virtually guaranteed, unlike say, SGS. My last stay was good without being great, some truly exceptional service and some that was frankly just below par for a top hotel in Bangkok. Those above who seem to think this is a truly exceptional hotel are either receiving special treatment in some way as returning guests (which is fair enough) or are overlooking flaws because they like the hotel. There is nothing wrong with this hotel, it's a very nice five star hotel, but I'm not even convinced it's the best Marriott property in Bangkok for service let alone close to being the best overall.

I did have a stay booked for tomorrow which I just cancelled as I see they are also playing games with SNAs which is a new one for me. I very deliberately only selected the suites with views on the upgrade request as I stayed in a suite without a view last time (paid, not an upgrade) and whilst it was huge the view overlooking another building was a bit of a downer. Get the email seeing the SNA is confirmed a couple of days ago and they've put me in a Metropolitan Suite despite most of the other suite types also being available. Fortunately SNA returned and no damage done, but one to be aware of for anyone making SNA requests with only specific categories in mind in future at this hotel. If the extra space isn't required I think there's a strong argument that a high floor Grand Deluxe room is better than a Metropolitan Suite at this hotel.
jaejaez and kodansha999 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think the problem with the St. Regis is perhaps inconsistency, yes they are capable of providing exceptional service and I have seen this but this is not virtually guaranteed, unlike say, SGS. My last stay was good without being great, some truly exceptional service and some that was frankly just below par for a top hotel in Bangkok. Those above who seem to think this is a truly exceptional hotel are either receiving special treatment in some way as returning guests (which is fair enough) or are overlooking flaws because they like the hotel. There is nothing wrong with this hotel, it's a very nice five star hotel, but I'm not even convinced it's the best Marriott property in Bangkok for service let alone close to being the best overall.

I did have a stay booked for tomorrow which I just cancelled as I see they are also playing games with SNAs which is a new one for me. I very deliberately only selected the suites with views on the upgrade request as I stayed in a suite without a view last time (paid, not an upgrade) and whilst it was huge the view overlooking another building was a bit of a downer. Get the email seeing the SNA is confirmed a couple of days ago and they've put me in a Metropolitan Suite despite most of the other suite types also being available. Fortunately SNA returned and no damage done, but one to be aware of for anyone making SNA requests with only specific categories in mind in future at this hotel. If the extra space isn't required I think there's a strong argument that a high floor Grand Deluxe room is better than a Metropolitan Suite at this hotel.
I guess this is why people have different ratings on hotels. I prefer the Metropolitan suite. I dont think the view over the racecourse to be particularly interesting. Of the hotels in BKK that I have stayed in the best view was the ROS but none of them excite me as being particularly good. I spend most of my time out and about and I am happy if I dont interact with anyone from the hotel between checkin and checkout!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:59 am
kkl

interesting as I also have done this for a future reservation in 6 weeks. St Regis suite or higher category only.

Will report back on the SNA, wont have high hopes as its a 5 night award stay.

seems they been selling out suites ?

have to agree about stays being good and some great but nothing below par for me to change hotels in bkk. Should be close to 40-50 nights the past 3 years
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I don't mind the Metro Suites. Yes there is a building in the view but you can see other parts of the city around it. To me, the extensive space is more important.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:00 am

Well I guess the posts below mine prove that at the end of the day different people want different things and that’s a good thing . You’ll hopefully find me in a Luxury Suite at SGS but there’ll no doubt be people just as happy at the St. Regis!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Youll hopefully find me in a Luxury Suite at SGS but therell no doubt be people just as happy at the St. Regis!
Both properties have their strengths, but IMO the rooms are considerably nicer at St. Regis. SGS room decor is pretty tired (unless you get one of the specialty suites).
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Both properties have their strengths, but IMO the rooms are considerably nicer at St. Regis. SGS room decor is pretty tired (unless you get one of the specialty suites).
Neither is exactly my taste decor wise, but there is more than enough to make up for it at SGS. At least it has a sense of place, whereas I find the St. Regis Metropolitan suites (basically most of their suites) could literally be any dull five star suites in any hotel, anywhere. That is precisely why I said different people like different things.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:33 am

Do they still serve some sort of foie gras sandwich at breakfast?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:03 pm

Neither is exactly my taste decor wise, but there is more than enough to make up for it at SGS. At least it has a sense of place, whereas I find the St. Regis Metropolitan suites (basically most of their suites) could literally be any dull five star suites in any hotel, anywhere. That is precisely why I said different people like different things.
I find the Caroline Astor suites, and others that have a view of the RBSC, to definitely have a sense of place. I know exactly where I am, and I find those suites very comfortable.
Kacee, bhrubin and Dave510 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Erohnson
Do they still serve some sort of foie gras sandwich at breakfast?
no .and the lobstet omelette seem no more existing too.

im just check-out today after 6 days, SNA denied, got grand deluxe room, BRG rate.

find the service sometime subpart in the phone, at the pool and with one receptionist at the lobby.

The platinum drink list is OK (good litchee martini) but the wine is so low level that i did not order wine anymore.
I did not used 1/3 of my drink voucher.

Will be back if the price is right.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:47 pm
kkl

What rooms/suites have a twin bed config?

Deluxe and grand deluxe only?
Next would be a 2 bedroom suite?

Anything inbetween?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Stayed here recently. Overall quite enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what is going on with the SNAs but when I put in my request, all suite types up to 2-bedroom were available for selection. I think that might be an error in the new Marriott booking system as I don't think that was the case using SNAs on the old SPG site?

My SNA initially cleared to a 2-bedroom suite (saw the room type on my booking) but at some point after clearing and before the stay they changed it to a standard Metropolitan suite, which very much annoyed me since I had specifically not requested the SNA for that room type. If we still had SPG customer service I would raise the issue and get the SNA back, but I have 0% confidence that Marriott customer service will ever correct the issue.

But, if the larger list of SNA room types is still showing, just a caution for anyone else who might be trying something similar to what I did.

But beyond that, I did like the hotel a lot and would return. The suite was still quite nice; not much of a view but that wasn't too big of a problem. Nice big bathroom plus an extra half bath. And breakfast was outstanding, with lots of variety and great quality (it was IMO the best hotel breakfast of this trip, which also included the W Maldives, Marina Bay Sands and R-C HKG) and a few options for made-to-order dishes. Only thing I can think of that might have been improved at breakfast was that I don't think sparkling wine was available at the buffet as you sometimes see.

Just a note on the Platinum laundry benefit: it is still offered, 4 pieces per person, which was very nice to have in the midst of a long trip and was one reason I chose this property in BKK. Timing of the service is that pieces must be sent in by 7pm and are returned the next day by 2pm, so depending on your arrival/departure times you may not be able to use it on your first and/or last night; keep that in mind if you're hoping to take advantage.

As others have reported, they also offer an evening cocktail for Platinum members; the selection of drinks was IMO very good. A small canape is included, but to be clear it's definitely just a small snack.

I thought the location was very good; having the SkyTrain station attached to the hotel was very convenient, especially since even a short walk can get sweaty quickly in BKK. We had dinner at Gaggan, which a) was very good and I would recommend; anyone else considering it should know that apparently it's never too early to book as we made our dinner reservation about 11 months in advance; and b) it's very close to the hotel but Google Maps makes it look like you have to walk 15 minutes around the block to get there; fortunately the concierge can show you the walking route that gets through to the restaurant much more quickly.

Finally, FYI, I booked on my company's rate and was asked for a business card or ID at check-in. Just for those who may be considering doing something similar but perhaps not quite as legitimately...
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by bgriff; Jan 22, 2019 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:17 am
kkl

I also just checked out, no upgrade on 5 night stay.

Apparently stay history has been wiped with the integration as they couldn't see I was a returning guest

Interesting to note the SNA as I have a future upcoming trip which I ticked St Regis suite and above

Will see what that clears into if anything.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Apparently the combo wiped all data from Starwood hotels. At least the LM I'm currently staying at told me ALL prior stay and preferences disappeared - but here they MANUALLY transferred at least the preferences (and stay info as well since I was ug to the suite I have been in many times) and a unique request I have was already in the room.
I can't imagine how much work it was to manually update all the info - but I'm guessing not all properties are going to do this. I would have thought the higher end properties would have done this but apparently not.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by estnet
Apparently the combo wiped all data from Starwood hotels. At least the LM I'm currently staying at told me ALL prior stay and preferences disappeared - but here they MANUALLY transferred at least the preferences (and stay info as well since I was ug to the suite I have been in many times) and a unique request I have was already in the room.
I can't imagine how much work it was to manually update all the info - but I'm guessing not all properties are going to do this. I would have thought the higher end properties would have done this but apparently not.
This was true for me too at St. Regis Osaka. Pretty much a blank slate for preferences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.