Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:25 am

When a guest books a suite, the hotel does not have to upgrade you any further. A weird rule, but a rule it is nonetheless.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:23 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot

My question to you is..... if they did this to you, and you were the returning guest, wouldn't you be a little put off?
Read my post about the Sheraton HKG and you'll understand how I would feel.

The guest booked the highest room in the official upgrade pool. Same as I did in HKG. So they were perfectly ok in not upgrading further. Does it stink? Sure. We're they acting dumbly? Yep. Can we say they were in the wrong? No.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jaejaez
When a guest books a suite, the hotel does not have to upgrade you any further. A weird rule, but a rule it is nonetheless.
Is this stated in the T&C's somewhere?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Read my post about the Sheraton HKG and you'll understand how I would feel.

The guest booked the highest room in the official upgrade pool. Same as I did in HKG. So they were perfectly ok in not upgrading further. Does it stink? Sure. We're they acting dumbly? Yep. Can we say they were in the wrong? No.
Actually, the prior time I stayed at the SRB, they told me the Caroline Astor suite was not in the upgrade pool anymore (when I was trying to upgrade from a standard room), so my booking was actually in a Suite in a higher category than the upgrade pool (if I am to believe what the SRB told me).

I would have been fine had they told me that there was no further upgrade possible. But, rather, they told me that there is a possibility to upgrade, but they needed a copy of my booking email. I wanted to send a copy of the email to them while I was in the lobby, but they insisted they go to my room with me to do it, and after going through that, to be told I am not eligible for any further upgrade, was just a complete waste of my time. Why make me go through these motions if there is no possible upgrade?

Last edited by whimike; Jun 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by whimike
Is this stated in the T&C's somewhere?
yes it does....it states that suite upgrades are only limited to select standard suites....if you have booked a select standard suite then as per the t&c you cannot be upgraded anymore....there are a lot of properties that go over the t&c & upgrade you further but its not something they have to do....

Last edited by Keyser; Jun 4, 2012 at 1:19 am
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
well, which position are you putting forward (or are you running for political office)?

Originally Posted by Keyser
yes it does....it states that suite upgrades are only limited to select standard suites....if you have booked a select standard suite then as per the t&c you cannot be upgraded anymore....there are a lot of properties that go about the t&c & upgrade you further but its not something they have to do....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
well, which position are you putting forward (or are you running for political office)?
funny you should mention, i am running for political office....

corrected my post....you are only supposed to get an upgrade to a select standard suite as per the t&c but its up to the property if they want to upgrade you further....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:10 am
Suspended

well, there goes the neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!

no, in all honesty (isn't that an oxymoron to a politician?) good luck......

funny you should mention, i am running for political office....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
no, in all honesty (isn't that an oxymoron to a politician?) good luck......
its also supposed to be an oxymoron for a lawyer which i also happen to be....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:40 pm

yes it does....it states that suite upgrades are only limited to select standard suites....if you have booked a select standard suite then as per the t&c you cannot be upgraded anymore....there are a lot of properties that go over the t&c & upgrade you further but its not something they have to do....
Your original post stated:

"When a guest books a suite, the hotel does not have to upgrade you any further. A weird rule, but a rule it is nonetheless.
I stayed in a really old hotel last night. They sent me a wake-up letter"

The T&C's you just posted do not support your original post.

If there are multiple suite types in the "select standard suites", and I reserve one in a lower category than others in the pool of "select standard suites", it is possible to be upgraded to the next level in that pool.

Furthermore, you state if you book a select standard suite you don't get upgraded, what if you book a suite that is not a select standard suite, as I did at the SRB?

It is also no clear to me what they mean by a "suite upgrade", do they mean going from a non-suite to a suite, or from any type of room, including suites, to a higher level of suite?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimike

If there are multiple suite types in the "select standard suites", and I reserve one in a lower category than others in the pool of "select standard suites", it is possible to be upgraded to the next level in that
Question is whether the Caroline Astor suite is a "select standard suite". With different hotels giving different names to their rooms/suites, Starwood should make it more transparent on which suites are the "select standard suite" at each hotel.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
As per their rules they did NOT have to upgrade you further than you have booked...
As per Platinum benefits, they do have to upgrade every Platinum guest... to the best room available at checkin, of course with the requirement that the room is available. Remember, it's not an auction, or a bargaining chip, it's a published brand standard developed by the company for it's most frequent guests. One that brings them countless bookings and extra revenue every day.

Factually INACCURATE , I recommend you reword your post.

The guest gets the best available room, upon checkin, even if they booked a suite. However, since a suite is not the lowest category, higher category rooms, within the select suites, may be few. If available, they are, and should be assigned a nicer suite.

yes it does....it states that suite upgrades are only limited to select standard suites....if you have booked a select standard suite then as per the t&c you cannot be upgraded anymore...
Also factually INACCURATE, and I will repeat it again. If a higher 'select suite' is available, the guest should expect to get the additional upgrade. It's part of the benefit package.

If there are multiple suite types in the "select standard suites", and I reserve one in a lower category than others in the pool of "select standard suites", it is possible to be upgraded to the next level in that pool.
Let's let the terms and conditions speak for themselves.
  • Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites.
  • https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html
  • Subject to availability at check-in for the length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations are booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Also factually INACCURATE, and I will repeat it again. If a higher 'select suite' is available, the guest should expect to get the additional upgrade. It's part of the benefit package.
on the contrary, its factually very accurate....a guest can expect whatever they want but as per the t&c the highest upgrade is a select standard suite....some properties may have one type while others can have 2 or 3....
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:08 am
Suspended

you should know better then to argue with a "lawyer" (but please don't stop cause I for one think you are 100% correct)

[QUOTE=seanthepilot;18699357]..............Factually INACCURATE , I recommend you reword your post.

The guest gets the best available room, upon checkin, even if they booked a suite. However, since a suite is not the lowest category, higher category rooms, within the select suites, may be few. If available, they are, and should be assigned a nicer suite.
Also factually INACCURATE, and I will repeat it again. If a higher 'select suite' is available, the guest should expect to get the additional upgrade. It's part of the benefit package./QUOTE]
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:21 am

I guess the question is what is included in the "select standard suite" at the St Regis Bangkok. Does it include anything beyond the Metropolitan Suite? or no?

I'm pretty sure it is up to the Metropolian suite. Anything upward of this would be "above & beyond" of what the terms & conditions dictate. And if you have booked yourself this Metropolitan Suite, as per terms & conditions, the hotel is not obligated to upgrade you further.

Of course, if the "select standard suite" includes higher classes of suites, then yes the hotel was in the wrong and should have upgraded you to the best suite available within their pool of "select standard suites".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.