Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 12, 19, 2:59 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old May 30, 12, 4:19 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by joelbra View Post
We have had an unfortunate problem - When I was researching hotels, I recall reading someone else on this thread who had a water leak during their stay here....
Yes that was me during my first stay. Water leaking from the ceiling of the bathroom onto the marble floor which I didnt see and sent me slipping over and injuring my arm.

They upgraded me to a Caroline Astor suite by way of apology, which set the bar high in terms of expectations fo upgrades in the future
Old May 30, 12, 4:37 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
She clicked away at the keyboard and then told me the Caroline Astor suite is their top room and there is nothing to upgrade further to. I then ask her about the John Astor suites, and don't mention the other ones above that such as the Royal suite.
I don't see a problem here. They have an upgrade pool which tops out at the room you'd booked. Something similar happened to me at the Sheraton Hong Kong. They dealt with it differently in order to remain within their documented policy. But had they not, they'd still have been right.

From the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post17665235
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
I am currently at the hotel until Friday. Since I booked the category of room that is the highest they will upgrade to (City View Exec Suite) they couldn't upgrade me further. They offered that I could pay an additional fee to upgrade into a Deluxe Harbour View Suite. I nudged a bit and a manager was called. He had a nice and creative idea. They downgraded my original Exec Suite booking so that I was booking a Deluxe room for less money. Then they upgraded me to the Executive Suite per policy for Plats. Then I paid extra to upgrade into the Deluxe Harbour View Suite. So the total delta was only an additional HKD 100. Awesome resolution and the view is stunning.
Old May 30, 12, 9:38 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
I don't see a problem here. They have an upgrade pool which tops out at the room you'd booked.
How can that be correct? I was upgraded to a higher category than that on an award stay based on my Platinum status.

Can't you see the lies.... i mean incongruities for what they are? Some hotels understand the benefit, some play games and then lie to cover them up.
Old May 30, 12, 1:49 pm

Caroline Astor Suite at St. Regis Bangkok

Just back from a 10-day Thailand trip. One of the highlights were my two stays at Caroline Astor suites at St. Regis Bangkok. I found a great rate via ebookers.com and only paid 137.56 (THB 6800!) per night.

Here's my review with pics and videos of both Caroline Astor suites I stayed at. http://travel.bart.la/2012/05/30/car...regis-bangkok/

Thanks!
Old May 30, 12, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, SPG Plat50, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bartla View Post
Just back from a 10-day Thailand trip. One of the highlights were my two stays at Caroline Astor suites at St. Regis Bangkok. I found a great rate via ebookers.com and only paid 137.56 (THB 6800!) per night.

Here's my review with pics and videos of both Caroline Astor suites I stayed at. http://travel.bart.la/2012/05/30/car...regis-bangkok/

Thanks!
Did you earn *points and nights at that rate?
Old May 30, 12, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot View Post
How can that be correct? I was upgraded to a higher category than that on an award stay based on my Platinum status.

Can't you see the lies.... i mean incongruities for what they are? Some hotels understand the benefit, some play games and then lie to cover them up.
I think it's a bit of both. Yes the hotels do play games but it is also the starwood upgrade policy that leaves so much room for individual hotels to play games in.

As per their rules they did NOT have to upgrade you further than you have booked... even if that means being in a lower cat room than the one you got during your award stay because anything higher would be outside of the upgrade pool.

i would +1 on the "stay elsewhere in BKK" idea
Old May 30, 12, 11:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
The mistake was staying 4 times. If they can't honor the Platinum benefits. DON'T STAY again. Unless you want to report back that after 10 stays they still haven't upgraded you..... at what point will you take your money and choose another hotel?

Simple.

Near every BKK hotel provides Plat upgrades to suites to Platinum members, all at lower cash and award redemption rates. Take your business away from St Regis. The Royal Orchid Sheraton, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Le Meridien, Plaza Athenee, and Four Points Sukhumvit Soi 15 would love to have your business.
I stay there because I like the hotel. Liking the hotel and wanting to stay there doesn't preclude me from posting about my experience here on FT for others to gather information from. And, I did post a few days prior to my stay that I don't expect then to upgrade me due to my previous experiences. So, I do go there with realistic expectations of what I will and won't receive.

I am about to post about my Four Points Sukhumvit stay. Booked a room, checked in, and no upgrade to any higher level room. Politely asked about a suite upgrade and the guy at the desk said all sold out. In the room I check SPG.com and it shows a suite as available. And to note, the room I was given was on the 3rd floor looking into the back of the hotel with a non-existent view, it had to be one of the worst rooms in the property.

I was there only for 1 night and I was settled, but as I went out for dinner I asked the guy that checked me in about the suites showing as available. Manager was standing there and she looked into it and told me the suite was a cancellation and just became available an hour ago. I told her I checked in only 30 minutes ago. She looked embarrassed and offered to give me their "showroom" suite which is what they use to show potential guests what a suite looked like.

I politely declined as I told her I was already settled in my room, and that I was just asking for clarification as to why I am told something when it's not accurate.

In my relatively short experience of being a platinum I am really disappointed by what appears to be a corporate policy of being very liberal with the truth.

Last edited by whimike; May 30, 12 at 11:34 pm
Old May 31, 12, 2:37 am

They are free to go beyond the poliicies but I don't fault them if they do not. Where is the lie?
Old May 31, 12, 4:05 am

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
They are free to go beyond the poliicies but I don't fault them if they do not. Where is the lie?

I think I'll let the previous posters words speak for themselves... I am not the only one with this experience or observation.

Originally Posted by jaejaez View Post
I think it's a bit of both. Yes the hotels do play games but it is also the starwood upgrade policy that leaves so much room for individual hotels to play games in.
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
In my relatively short experience of being a platinum I am really disappointed by what appears to be a corporate policy of being very liberal with the truth.
I can find more examples if you like.
Old May 31, 12, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Interesting question and discussion. I don't really fault the hotels. They are entitled to do what they want as long as they comply with the official policy as written. I expect that the policy could have been drafted more tightly and clearly, but it says what it says. IMO, the individual properties are only obligated to comply with the policy as it is written.

Reminds me of something the U.S. Supreme Court once said when ruling against the IRS on an issue. Taxpayers are entitled to arrange their affairs in order to minimize their taxes as long as they comply with the letter of the law (Internal Revenue Code).

Perhaps the policy could benefit from revision and rewriting, but for now, it says what it says; and, yes, it appears that there is a lot of wiggle room for properties.
Old May 31, 12, 6:09 am

I think I'll let the previous posters words speak for themselves... I am not the only one with this experience or observation.

I can find more examples if you like.
I still don't agree that they are being told lies. Was the Sheraton HKG telling a lie in my example?
Old Jun 1, 12, 2:39 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Are we still waiting to hear if Lady Gaga finds this place as disappointing as the rest of us following her stay last week ?.
Old Jun 1, 12, 4:26 am

I still don't agree that they are being told lies. Was the Sheraton HKG telling a lie in my example?
Keeping 'on topic' and since this is the St Regis BANGKOK thread, I will comment that it seems like this hotel has lied on more than one occasion relating to their desire to what appears to be with-holding suite upgrades that are within the policy.

As for other hotels, I could mine a hundred such lies only from other posters' experience. I have a bone to pick... with hotels and airlines that play games and refuse to comply with corporate policy. Does this bother people? Doesn't exposing the truth, or what appears to be the truth fit with Flyertalk's sense of purpose?

Why do we need to reword an upgrade policy that is fairly straighforward. Platinums will be able to receive the best possible room upon check-in. Some suites are considered in the pool of these such rooms. It's not rocket science.

This benefit seems to not be properly administered at the St Regis Bangkok. Other peoples experience and opinions contrast with my own experience. I got a 30,000THB a night suite on my awards stay. They did not. The reality is that this could be based on many different criteria, including the rooms just not being available. But, the TREND shows that this is likely a hotel resistent to upgrading every Platinum to a standard suite if it is available. And, the lies that follow are not new 'games' that hotels such as this one currently play.... unfortunately, in my opinion, lying to hotel guests has become an industry standard for hotels. But what do I know, I've only been in the hotel business for 30 years.

I am not one of the many apologists on the SPG board. Those that are cannot stand the truth being exposed. SPG is a great program, consisting of many hotels. We need to be honest, not apologists.

Last edited by 2lovelife; Jun 1, 12 at 4:39 am
Old Jun 1, 12, 8:00 am

So in the case currently being discussed, you agree that the hotel actually was not in the wrong. I'm not a fan of this hotel, which has been well-documented. But in this case they were in the right, though they could easily have gone beyond expectations. Sadly this doesn't appear to be their way of operating.
Old Jun 3, 12, 9:12 am

So in the case currently being discussed, you agree that the hotel actually was not in the wrong.
I never said that. The hotel was wrong! In fact, this service blunder would be good material for an academic case study of the St. Regis Bangkok.

Did you read the OPs complaint? They told him he was upgraded, while it was the room type he had booked. The left hand didn't even know what the right was doing. They fumbled over a simple room reservation like was their first day in operation. How are they not in the wrong? Then it appears that the hotel lied to the guest, to cover up some obscure interpretation of the upgrade policy. I fault them in a BIG way.

The plain facts are. A return guest, one who likes the hotel, has been put off by the treatment (partly a result of staff, partly of policy) they received. That is just wrong if you ask me.

But in this case they were in the right,
So, you're saying to me that the hotel was in the right, in which manner? Telling the guest they had an upgrade and really they were about to be given the very room type they had booked. Or were they right about then not understanding the reservation, being confused, or in not believing the customer when they insisted that this was the room style they booked?
Or perhaps they were right, saying that this room type was the top room type, when in fact it was not? Or were they right insisting the client go up to their room, then waste their time forwarding an email of a booking they should really have in their system already (the agent should have gone to SPG to sort out reservation details). Oh, I know, they were right in calling 30 minutes later with the news that they did have a suite that could be upgraded to, but this valued customer did not qualify?

Now the question I have for you is, if 'long stay' platinums can get upgraded to this suite, doesn't it make it part of the 'upgrade pool'? It appears that the resistance to the upgrade was in the rate that the customer was paying.... which I interpret to mean that the room upgrade was denied, even though it was available and in the category of eligible upgraded rooms allowed. So, how exactly is the hotel right? If you ask me this was "SERVICE FAILURE 101"

Let's put it another way. The upgrade is not dependent on the initial room type booked, correct?
For instance, if you have 4 categories of rooms, and 4 categories of suites, AND the upgrade policy is that Platinums can be upgraded as high as the 2nd suite category, an initial booking in any of these room types would qualify. It appears that the customer booked the lowest category of suite at this hotel, but the hotel didn't want to give them the next category up. I have received the 2nd, or maybe the 3rd category suite at this property on an award night.

So, how exactly were they "in the right". It appears to me that they blew the handling of the situation and what appears to be having denied the guest of an upgrade they were eligible for.

My question to you is..... if they did this to you, and you were the returning guest, wouldn't you be a little put off?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: