Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Hotel Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Occupancy Policy

Due to fire safety and security concerns, only registered hotel guests are allowed in guest rooms from 10pm to 8am. From 8am to 10pm, the maximum occupancy—including visitors (non-registered guests) and registered guests—for each room is as follows:
  • Wonderful, Fabulous and Spectacular Rooms: 5 adults
    • Cool Corner Room: 8 adults
      • Marvelous and Fantastic Suites: 10 adults
        • WOW Suite: 20 adults
          • Extremely WOW Suite: 30 adults
Print Wikipost

W Hotel Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guava
Free breakfast was offered to us on a SPG award night this weekend, I thought W hotels don't do free breakfast and based on the comments in this thread so far, I am surprised about this.
Is that in addition to 500 points?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TerryK
Is that in addition to 500 points?
The stay has posted, no points. I guess I must have misunderstood so the breakfast were given as an amenity choice. Nevertheless, the breakfast buffet was out of this world! Can't believe it was given for free. It's a no-brainer when you are staying there on award and you + 1 guest can have such an experience in lieu of the points.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The stay has posted, no points. I guess I must have misunderstood so the breakfast were given as an amenity choice. Nevertheless, the breakfast buffet was out of this world! Can't believe it was given for free. It's a no-brainer when you are staying there on award and you + 1 guest can have such an experience in lieu of the points.
I'll be there twice in May...what makes the buffet so great? Usually I prefer some dumplings or congee in town, but is it worth forgoing the 500pts?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'll be there twice in May...what makes the buffet so great? Usually I prefer some dumplings or congee in town, but is it worth forgoing the 500pts?
Because they charge over 780NT + 10% service charge per person. So, naturally, it is a really good benefit. I hope the benefit is for length of stay. I have two five nighters coming up in June/July.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sink
Because they charge over 780NT + 10% service charge per person. So, naturally, it is a really good benefit. I hope the benefit is for length of stay. I have two five nighters coming up in June/July.
yes benefit will be for every night of your stay.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sink
I've been to some pretty crappy high price buffets - what makes it worth the price? Do you recall what they served?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:43 am

Has anyone stayed at Le Meridien -- and compared the room/breakfasts?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by hg‎
I have stayed at both last year. The breakfast at LM Taipei is ok (but the best platinum free breakfast since it is in the restaurant; Discovery). I had issues with the service there. Breakfast is served in the lounge at Westin and Sheraton for Platinum guests; so not as good as LM. I prefer the breakfast at LM over W; but the view and atmosphere is better at W.

As a Platinum guest at LM, there are plenty of junior suite available for comp'd upgrade and "soft drinks" and beer in the minibar are complementary and of course the free breakfast at Discovery. However, I still prefer the marvelous suite at the W; even without the free breakfast. Now, with platinum choice, I'm definitely there.

Last edited by sink; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:29 am
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:27 am

I've been to some pretty crappy high price buffets - what makes it worth the price? Do you recall what they served?
It doesn't. It's the hype. I have been there for all three meals, and I am not impress with any. I have talked to the restaruant supervisors about the food and minor issues with service, and they don't seem to care. The restaurant manager, Patrick did not even come by to speak to us. They really need to keep the hot food hot, and cold food cold.

However, I will be using my platinum choice on the free breakfast now.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
yes benefit will be for every night of your stay.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by hg‎
The rooms (jr exec suite) are beautiful, especially with a view of 101 - but I found the lounge pretty lackluster in terms of food and offerings (maybe it was my timing, who knows).

The hotels have a completely different "vibe" - LM is quiet, luxurious, and has a certain understated style. W is hip and modern without the service or attitude being as obnoxious as the US W hotels.

I can't really comment on the food as I would much rather eat out in the city than stay in the hotel.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

The breakfast buffet has everything you can imagine, Western, Chinese, Japanese delicacies, many of which are freshly made when you order. All kinds of exotic fruits you can find in Taiwan are congregated there and you can have them pressed into fresh juice if you wish. There is also a great salad bar. All of which are International First Class quality. There are too many things to choose, you can't possibly try them all in one day. The Chinese sections has many different kind of congee and other Chinese hot dishes. The price person is now $1000 NT per person, so with service charge, the value of the breakfast is about $37 USD per person or about $75 USD for two. Service is also top notch there.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:05 am

Video Marvelous Suite

Video link to marvellous suite @ W Taipei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGx9VXSO5M
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:33 am

The breakfast buffet has everything you can imagine, Western, Chinese, Japanese delicacies, many of which are freshly made when you order. All kinds of exotic fruits you can find in Taiwan are congregated there and you can have them pressed into fresh juice if you wish. There is also a great salad bar. All of which are International First Class quality. There are too many things to choose, you can't possibly try them all in one day. The Chinese sections has many different kind of congee and other Chinese hot dishes. The price person is now $1000 NT per person, so with service charge, the value of the breakfast is about $37 USD per person or about $75 USD for two. Service is also top notch there.
Excellent...that sounds like it's worth a try for at least one of my mornings.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
The rooms (jr exec suite) are beautiful, especially with a view of 101 - but I found the lounge pretty lackluster in terms of food and offerings (maybe it was my timing, who knows).

The hotels have a completely different "vibe" - LM is quiet, luxurious, and has a certain understated style. W is hip and modern without the service or attitude being as obnoxious as the US W hotels.

I can't really comment on the food as I would much rather eat out in the city than stay in the hotel.
I have been to LM lounge about six times and it was always like you described, lackluster. It is one plus over W which does not have a lounge, but not a valuable one.

The rooms are nice, but outside the room, hallways and lobby have a very cold and lonely feeling. The lobby does not have any seats, just an overall cold and lonely place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.