Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Hotel Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Occupancy Policy

Due to fire safety and security concerns, only registered hotel guests are allowed in guest rooms from 10pm to 8am. From 8am to 10pm, the maximum occupancyincluding visitors (non-registered guests) and registered guestsfor each room is as follows:
  • Wonderful, Fabulous and Spectacular Rooms: 5 adults
    • Cool Corner Room: 8 adults
      • Marvelous and Fantastic Suites: 10 adults
        • WOW Suite: 20 adults
          • Extremely WOW Suite: 30 adults
Print Wikipost

W Hotel Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by sink
The new GM Harvey Thompson from Brisbane is a nice guy. He showed up at Yen Bar doing the SPG Gold/Platinum happy hour.
He's from LM Kuala Lumpur.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone have experience on how full/chance of suite upgrades with the few days before the night of NYE? Looking at a few nights (excluding NYE) between here and the GH w/DSU. It'll be about my 5th stay here and have received Marvelous each time as a Plat without SNA, and it doesn't seem that trend has changed with the new GM? TIA.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I checked into the W Taipei on 30.Jun. I already knew that there was not going to be any suite upgrade (showed no availability online), which the check-in agent also confirmed. However, there were Cool Corner rooms available, so I asked to be upgraded into one of these. The agent originally agreed, but then said that I would not be granted late checkout because THE ROOM ALSO HAS TO BE AVAILABLE TOMORROW (i.e. no booking for tomorrow check in) BEFORE I COULD BE UPGRADED AND GRANTED THE LATE CHECKOUT. I have not heard of this policy before, so I argued with the agent for some minutes.

She then went into the Back Office and supposedly checked with her supervisor. Came back out and still denied the upgrade.

So, here we have the situation that the Cool Corner rooms are supposedly available for upgrades to Platinums (since the agent originally agreed), but I would be denied late checkout, which is a Platinum benefit. I asked her, what if I had BOOKED the Cool Corner room for tonight? Then, you would have had to confirm my 4pm late checkout for tomorrow, so her assertion that the room has to be available for tomorrow before late checkout can be granted is just bogus.

Am I missing something here?
Upgraded to Marvelous and was sent a letter the day prior to checkout that the 4pm late checkout would not be available because it was the only Twin in the hotel. I responded with a 2pm request and was still denied. They stated the benefit is only upon availability, not guaranteed. I didn't absolutely needed it so did not press it further, but seems a change of style here.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
I'm staying at the W Taipei Mar 2-6, 2017. As a base 25-night Platinum, how likely will I be upgraded to a Marvelous Suite?

Since it's an important trip, I'd pay for a Marvelous Suite if I knew I wouldn't get one but would feel bad paying more than double the price of a standard room if I would have received a complimentary upgrade anyway. Basically, if the chance of an upgrade is 90%, I'd probably leave it to chance. If the chance of upgrade is 10%, I'd probably pay for the Marvelous Suite.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:04 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Yen Bar doing the SPG Gold/Platinum happy hour
I was never told about a happy hour when I stayed here as Platinum. What did the HH consist of?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I was never told about a happy hour when I stayed here as Platinum. What did the HH consist of?
HH in woobar or bar at yen.
I recall about 10 creative cocktails ( all very nice), beer/wine, and soft drinks.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by gamersonia
HH in woobar or bar at yen.
I recall about 10 creative cocktails ( all very nice), beer/wine, and soft drinks.
Were the drinks free? Or discounted for Plats? If so, how much?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Were the drinks free? Or discounted for Plats? If so, how much?
Free flow 5pm to 7pm.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lappe
Free flow 5pm to 7pm.
Wow crazy the fact that this was a policy but the rude staff never even told me makes me even more disappointed in this property.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
A bit disappointed that there is no champagne or sparkling wine.

However, the view from Yen bar is spectacular.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:43 pm

Plat upgrades

Just curious, anyone here gotten a plat upgrade to a suite for a stay >4 days?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by bizum
Just curious, anyone here gotten a plat upgrade to a suite for a stay >4 days?
Not recently, but they used to give me a marvelous on almost every stay until maybe a year ago on 5-6 day stays.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lappe
Not recently, but they used to give me a marvelous on almost every stay until maybe a year ago on 5-6 day stays.
Thanks for the input. It does seem busier these days than before
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:54 pm

Happy Hour @Woo

Wow crazy the fact that this was a policy but the rude staff never even told me makes me even more disappointed in this property.
Other than asking me about the plat choice of bfast or points, they didn't really mention anything at all about HH. The HH is quite generous (they were happy to serve doubles of 12 yr scotch, also its for Gold and Plat).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Do I have to ask for the happy hour or will they provide it themself.

Will they upgrade themselves or do I have to ask?

I'm booked in April, and sorry to say but any hotel but makes me beg for benefits is 1 star for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.