Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

W Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:07 am

I am here now for a couple of nights and really like the hotel. Very busy area, but kind of nice to be in yet rise above. My SNA cleared exactly at 2pm 5 days out and got the marvelous suite. Very nice corner room with great views to Piccadilly etc. Note, its not a suite in the sense of a separate living room, see pics earlier in the thread for the quirky lay out. Staff are great. I arrived just before 11am, they found me a room. Also, the first (ever) hotel to comment on my preferences in my profile and ask if I need extra towels and pillows! I figured I would have a late breakfast on arrival and expected to pay, but was comped it for being Titanium (a nice and unexpected touch). I am not young and hip and usually stay at the Sheraton Park Lane but thinking we will change our booking in July to here. Fun hotel, very comfortable, great location etc. So far it is meeting what I always hope for from a good W (Bogota and Brisbane come to mind).
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Restrictions have been placed on the premises licence which might affect you if you wanted to meet a non-resident in the bar:
At a meeting last week, it was decided that the premises licence be amended to restrict access to residents and a set number of guests as well as members of the hotel group's loyalty programme and a limited number of invited patrons.
This is due to an incident on 10 July this year when 30 people were involved in a brawl at an externally-organised event.
https://www.thecaterer.com/news/w-ho...rawl-licensing (Free but requires registration)
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Morland
Restrictions have been placed on the premises licence which might affect you if you wanted to meet a non-resident in the bar:

This is due to an incident on 10 July this year when 30 people were involved in a brawl at an externally-organised event.
https://www.thecaterer.com/news/w-ho...rawl-licensing (Free but requires registration)
Might make the bar a little quieter! I've stayed here countless times and during the night, especially during the weekend, you could hear the music blasting from the bar multiple floors below all night into the early morning.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
a free to read article: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-b1018320.html

lol at this, the scene they wanted to build over the years always resulted in quite obnoxious parties. maybe it'll actually be a tolerable space for once!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Just finished a stay at the W Leicester Square last week and had a wonderful stay.

Used SNAs to confirm a Marvelous Suite ahead of time. Room wasn't ready when I arrived at the hotel, before check-in time - was offered a courtesy room for my use as my room wasn't expected to be ready until later in the evening. I was not expecting that and was fully ready to use the spa/gym showers for a quick refresh and to head out into the city until my room was ready. Major props to them for offering this.

Only complaint about the room I have is the lack of a mirror close to an electrical outlet. I think someone else mentioned that London/UK building codes prohibit electrical sockets in the bathroom/sink area, as there are no electrical sockets at all in the wet room of the Marvelous Suite. However, there are no mirrors in the main room, where there are electrical sockets. Really hard to blow dry and style your hair without a mirror.

Also a bit noisy from the noise outside as sound proofing was a bit lacking, but the noise tended to die down by 10pm-11pm so wasn't a big issue.

Overall a wonderful stay at a great hotel in a great location!
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Regarding the plug sockets, yes - they are banned in bathrooms in the UK. Apparently we cant be trusted to not murder ourselves.

Its a constant pet peeve of mine in W and EDITION hotels that they often design rooms in an impractical manner - the issue with mirrors and plug sockets is a common one IME.

I tend to find you do hear a fair bit of street noise at this hotel unless you are on the top floor.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
London/UK building codes prohibit electrical sockets in the bathroom/sink area, as there are no electrical sockets at all in the wet room of the Marvelous Suite.
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Regarding the plug sockets, yes - they are banned in bathrooms in the UK. Apparently we can’t be trusted to not murder ourselves.
Remembering of course that the UK voltage carries significantly more punch than that in North America, so it's an entirely sensible regulation to stop tourists killing themselves by dropping the hairdryer into the washbasin or the bath ...
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:02 pm

Does anyone have any good rate codes for the W? I have 3 nights in London in November, currently booked at Sheraton Park Lane. Would prefer W (though I like both) but its around 150 quid more a night. I loved the LRR while it worked Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Remembering of course that the UK voltage carries significantly more punch than that in North America, so it's an entirely sensible regulation to stop tourists killing themselves by dropping the hairdryer into the washbasin or the bath ...
Guess the UK never heard of GFCI.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Wow, another fantastic W stay in a unique property that obviously cares a lot about guest experience! For me, W stands for Win! Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to a Fabulous King on the top floor (7) - online, only 1 Fabulous showed available (the UK website seems to show exact counts) and no suites showed available
  • I found the room design whimsical and definitely adequate for a solo traveler - I loved some of the details such as the UK flag design behind the TV
  • The bed was very comfortable with plush covers, plush mattress, and 6 plush pillows
  • Shower pressure was pretty good from the rainfall head
  • The iPad control system for the lights, climate control, and TV (no other remote) worked very well and was highly responsive - the TV did have Internet apps such as YouTube
  • Comfy and plush lounger chair
  • Noise isolation was decent though not perfect
  • Service was fantastic with one of the nicest check-in experiences from Paula and a great checkout experience from another super friendly agent
    • Asked proactively about late checkout - no issue with 4 PM
    • Offered hot chocolate or mulled wine and a mince pie - I was encouraged by another agent to take the mulled wine, which was delicious and much better than normal wine
    • Given a free drink coupon since there weren't suites available
  • Engineering problem with the blinds chain (the turndown housekeeper seemed to get it stuck) was fixed with a full chain replacement while I was at breakfast
  • Delivered an amazingly delicious welcome gift and card of assorted desserts - they were all so good and I ate them immediately and cleaned the plate
    • The in room dining agent was super friendly and was asking about home and how my family was faring in the winter storms
  • Elite welcome gift breakfast is a great time with a free selection from the juice/smoothie section, a starter, a main, and unlimited hot drinks
    • Delicious cappuccinos and one of the best Eggs Royale I have had (such soft English muffins)
    • Not a huge fan of the gluten free banana bread, but that's what I get for going out of my comfort zone
  • Turndowns left 3 additional glass bottles of water
  • Really tasty fish and chips at dinner (1st floor bar where breakfast was also served, not the Burger place that was closed) with my free cocktail (a tasty coffee and hazelnut drink called the Dream Dasher)
Cons:
  • Sink drain cover was wonky and prevented easy draining
Overall, I would highly recommend the W - the area might be a bit Times Square, but you're close to Soho with great dining like Dishoom!

Photos:

dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Thanks for the up to date review. I have also enjoyed my stays at the W this year. The Christmas themed treats looked like a nice touch. Glad you had a good time.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Can't for the life of me determine what that dark thing in front of the pillows is/was?

David

p.s. I would "like" your stay post but FT programming is precluding it once again... (Unable to like ElevatorEnthusiast's hotel reviews)
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Can't for the life of me determine what that dark thing in front of the pillows is/was?

David

p.s. I would "like" your stay post but FT programming is precluding it once again... (Unable to like ElevatorEnthusiast's hotel reviews)
That's my neck pillow! And, I love the support feedback - those likes have been pesky on desktop!
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
ElevatorEnthusiast - great photos! I had to cancel my one reservation at the W Leicester Square due to COVID travel restrictions. Hope to make it there soon. Thanks for the fantastic photo review.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by dcmike
ElevatorEnthusiast - great photos! I had to cancel my one reservation at the W Leicester Square due to COVID travel restrictions. Hope to make it there soon. Thanks for the fantastic photo review.
No problem!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.