Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tyson's Corner Marriott vs Ritz Carlton

Old Feb 8, 11, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Five Star

I have a Friday night stay coming up and have the choice of either of these properties. I'm assuming the CL will be closed at the Marriott.

As a MR Platinum, which of the two properties would you choose, or is there another property near these that would rate higher in your opinion for a Friday night stay.

I have a Saturday morning flight out of IAD, so anywhere relatively close would be viable.

Thanks in advance...
Old Feb 8, 11, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
My wife stayed at the TC Ritz in December. She said it was really nice. It's connected to the mall so you could walk around to kill time and they have several restaurants.

I usually stay at the Westfields Marriott in Chantilly which is really close to IAD. Pretty quiet. Good restaurant. Decent gym but the equipment is old.
Old Feb 8, 11, 2:03 pm

I stayed at the TC Ritz a few months ago and found it to be excellent. Service is outstanding, the rooms are quite nice and the location is good too. I will stay there again my next time in the area.
Old Feb 8, 11, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It depends on your preferences. What are the prices? Are you paying yourself? Do you need MR night credit?

Both are standard versions of their brand, so the RC is certainly nicer, as would be expected. But I would also expect a higher cost, and no MR night credit.

The Marriott is fine for somewhere to sleep for the night if it's just you. If you have family along, somewhere who cares about the property, you want to impress, etc., the RC would be the choice.

Neither are actually that close to IAD - 12.5 miles and probably a 20 minute drive. Marriott.com lists 28 properties closer to the airport. If it's just a place to sleep prior to a flight, I'd probably pick either the FS Marriott Dulles, 1 mile away, or the cheapest property close by, likely the FI 2.3 miles away.
Old Feb 8, 11, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Plat, Marriott PP
FWIW, the CL at the Marriott was closed on Friday nights when I stayed there last October. Also, there is really nothing easy to walk or even drive to from the Marriott as it is tucked into the corner of the beltway and leesburg pike. YMMV.
Old Feb 8, 11, 10:32 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
The Ritz is the better option of the two because of the mall, the distance to the hotel is the pretty much the same.
Old Feb 9, 11, 3:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I've stayed at that Ritz about 10 times, maybe more. We have become friends over the past 17 years with one concierge working there - still stay in touch with her. We like the staff a ton, and that it's connected to the Galleria is nice in cold weather especially (when my kids were really little, they used to have a tiny food court on the 3rd level with Burger King, which came in handy, but it's not been there for years). The mall is very upscale and nice to walk (but other than Bloomie's I can't afford much there).

They also have a towncar to drive you over to Tyson's Corner Center (or any restaurant within a couple miles if needed). That's the largest mall in the Mid Atlantic.

The rooms are smallish, but nice. The club level is nice. It's a small quiet Ritz for the most part, and I do love it! If you can get a "junior suite" (they used to not have a category for this) it's got a king bed plus a small sofa sitting area, so it's got a bit more room. Last time we stayed there, we got that plus the connecting double room for our kids.

Much as I like this hotel, if you've got an early morning flight out of IAD, I'd go to a hotel right at the airport, maybe one with park & fly and can shuttle you there. It just makes things easier. Otherwise, I'd say the Ritz is better and you can walk right into the Galleria (and they have a few places for a nice dinner right there). You'll get your night credit (the other posting is incorrect) as well as some points.

We did this a few years ago at National - stayed at the Ritz Pentagon City for a night prior to an early flight. Didn't bother paying for club level, since we had to take a cab at 5am to get to our flight. Had a bagel at the airport!
Old Feb 9, 11, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
As mentioned above, the Westfields Marriott in Chantilly is very close to IAD and is a relatively nice fs Marriott in a strikingly pretty area (surprisingly in an executive hq park). No lounge, and no weekend breakfast coupons. As to the restaurant, IMO there are better nearby.
Old Feb 9, 11, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
As mentioned above, the Westfields Marriott in Chantilly is very close to IAD and is a relatively nice fs Marriott in a strikingly pretty area (surprisingly in an executive hq park). No lounge, and no weekend breakfast coupons. As to the restaurant, IMO there are better nearby.

They've always given me the breakfast (big buffet) for free on the weekends.

BTW, I have the e-mail adresses for the GM and Director of Rooms if anyone ever needs them.
Old Feb 9, 11, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I vote for the RC mainly because of its location adjacent to Tysons II. The Marriott isn't bad, but I think you'll get more value at the RC.
Old Feb 9, 11, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by SaintsFan View Post
They've always given me the breakfast (big buffet) for free on the weekends.

BTW, I have the e-mail adresses for the GM and Director of Rooms if anyone ever needs them.
They always used to (comp weekend breakfast). They don't now, absent unusual circumstances.
Old Feb 10, 11, 7:20 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I've spent quite a few nights at the Tyson Corner Marriott and can recommend it -- especially at their weekend rates. They are finishing up a renovation, I think the only thing left is a couple of floors of guest rooms. As a Plat on the weekend, you are about certain to get a Concierge room and even have a decent chance of a junior suite.

I've been told by the FD that they provide complimentary full breakfast for Plats on the weekend when the lounge is closed. They have a free shuttle that will take you to the mall, etc.
Old Aug 19, 11, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm staying at Marriott Tyson's Corner next week.

I got a note today from someone at the hotel with a brief note that renovation is done along with an explanation about a $6/day parking charge. I'm not offended by the idea of a $6/day parking charge in that area, but the way the letter is worded is weird: it makes it sound like it used to be free and they're half-apologizing now for charging $6, along with some goofy language about "security" being the reason for the $6 charge.

I assume this is a normal Marriott. I show up at the hotel, pull into a lot, take a ticket, front desk posts $6/day to my bill, and then I can use the ticket to exit. Anything unusual about this? Or...any ridiculously easy FREE parking nearby?

It's a business stay...I don't feel too bad about expensing six bucks to park...I'm just wondering as it was a strange email, not really formatted like normal Marriott Concierge-type emails I usually get.
Old Aug 19, 11, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by bobtray View Post
FWIW, the CL at the Marriott was closed on Friday nights when I stayed there last October. Also, there is really nothing easy to walk or even drive to from the Marriott as it is tucked into the corner of the beltway and leesburg pike. YMMV.

The Marriott sits less than 200 yards from one of the region' largest shopping malls. I've stayed at this property a few times, and I was just there this past weekend. It does look like they charge for parking now (there are gates posted now in front of the parking entrance). Don't know why though; there's plenty of free parking in the areas around the hotel, particularly the mall. The hotel rooms are nicely appointed, albeit a bit small. On Sat and Sun (when the CL is closed), the hotel allows Golds and Plats to eat in the restaurant for breakfast; and it really is a nice buffet. However, if being close to IAD for an early morning flight is the reason for staying, I would not choose this hotel. The Marriott Worldgate in Herndon would be a much better option IMO since they have a free shuttle to the airport.
Old Aug 19, 11, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
You have GOT to be kidding me.....a $6 parking charge???? For a hotel that charges $259-$289 per night during the week, I find that absolutely insulting. I know it is a tiny amount but I liken it to paying $500 for a 500 mile flight along the east coast and being charged $25 for a bag when getting to the airport.. I'll park at the Mall and walk to the Marriott before I pay that fee. It's only 2 football field lengths between the parking deck and the hotel. Security my foot....that hotel is in a safe location so I am calling B-S on that explanation.

I've stayed at the Marriott on multiple occasions. I will never book a King room as they are terribly small. Book a room with 2 doubles if you want space. I would wholeheartedly take the Ritz but the weekend rates at the Marriott are very good and yes, you do get a free breakfast buffet as a plat. If it is not much of a difference, go with the Ritz.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: