Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Just keep in mine that the only renovated rooms are "Premium" and higher which is a small % of the total prop.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I was here in mid-September (sorry for the delay in updating). I paid for the "premium", and was on the 36th floor (top is 38, I think), with a view north over 42nd street.

Bathroom is dated, but shower was functional. Checkin was quick & professional; PLT status was recognized w/amenity offer - and the statement that there were no suites available, and the only larger room would be an older decor w/o the Heavenly Bed from the Premium Room, but I could have it if I wanted (I didn't).

Staff gets kudos - I had originally booked Sunday-Thursday, and on Monday night extended to Friday. Then, Thursday afternoon, something changed at work & I was able to get out immediately -- I ran back to the hotel, checked out at 4:01pm Thursday, and (even without me asking for anything) was NOT charged for Friday (either for the nite or for the early departure). The desk person simply said "We see this was your first stay with us, and we hope you liked it and will come back again soon."

I'm going to give them another chance on my next trip...and will report back!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Update from Helmsley GM on Trip Advisor

I am staying at this property later this month and went on Trip Advisor to find more recent reviews to supplement those poisted on this thread. Over there, I noticed this update from the hotel's GM, posted on 9/26/11. (Perhaps he doesnt know about FT?!)

This is a great location, though I was not a fan of it when it was the independent Helmsley. I have stayed since the *W acquisition and see promise in this property. The renovations plan sounds encouraging.

GMNYHelmsley, General Manager at The New York Helmsley, responded to this review

September 26, 2011

Dear G_TsyDney,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience in trip advisor.

I am sorry about the noise level during your stay. We had an emergency situation to be fixed and I could not wait any longer. I can confirm that all noise is eneded long time ago.

I am happy that you enjoyed the size of our guest rooms. I think on an average we have the largest rooms in the entire city!

We will start the renovation by the end of December.

Even if the renovation is very intense, we will invest over $75M to convert The New York Helmsley in to a fantastic new "Westin", we do not expect any noise to disturb the stay of our guest.

The hotel will be running with over 10 floors un-occupied to prevent any noise to travel over the building. In few words you can book with confidence!

Part of the renovation plan is to create a 3000 square feet of Westin work out with the latest equipment available. The plan is to have the new gym up and running by mid February.

I hope you will consider us again if you travel to NYC. Please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] and I will make all the necessary arrangement to be sure your stay will be memorable.

Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.

All the best,

Maurizio Bonivento
General Manager
The New York Helmsley

[email protected]
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Great to hear, especially since the W at 39/Lex was taken off of *W management! The area needed a replacement...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by mapletree
Great to hear, especially since the W at 39/Lex was taken off of *W management! The area needed a replacement...
What do you mean? I still see the W on Lex & 49th as a bookable property on SPG.com. Did there used to be another one at Lex and 39th?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by phlashba
What do you mean? I still see the W on Lex & 49th as a bookable property on SPG.com. Did there used to be another one at Lex and 39th?
Two in fact. W New York The Court and W New York The Tuscany.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Available for $199
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Stayed last night (Nov 10). Booked great starpicks rate of $229. Fast, courteous check-in, was given room on 36th floor. (I'm PLT)
Nicest room this week (was also in Parker-Meridian and NY Manhattan). Great bed and bedding, bright, roomy room, larger-than-mini fridge, iHome clock-radio. Each side of bed has wall sconce light PLUS wall mounted, flex-arm tight-beam lamps that are great for reading, etc. Also on each side of bed is a wall-mounted 3-outlet, mini AC power-strip. There is also one of these on the desk. Finally - a hotel that knows what kind of electronics people travel with. (Need to charge Kindles, phones, PCs, and iPods all at once.)
As mentioned by others, bathroom is a bit out of date, particularly the toilet and sink fixtures. But toiletries are nice.
Overall, my wife and I both really like what's going on with this hotel. Next time in NY, this will probably be our destination.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thank you for your field report WestLA-FF^ I have a five night stay here booked for(late) next year and I am happy to read a positive report.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:58 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by WestLA-FF
Stayed last night (Nov 10). Booked great starpicks rate of $229. Fast, courteous check-in, was given room on 36th floor. (I'm PLT)
Nicest room this week (was also in Parker-Meridian and NY Manhattan). Great bed and bedding, bright, roomy room, larger-than-mini fridge, iHome clock-radio. Each side of bed has wall sconce light PLUS wall mounted, flex-arm tight-beam lamps that are great for reading, etc. Also on each side of bed is a wall-mounted 3-outlet, mini AC power-strip. There is also one of these on the desk. Finally - a hotel that knows what kind of electronics people travel with. (Need to charge Kindles, phones, PCs, and iPods all at once.)
As mentioned by others, bathroom is a bit out of date, particularly the toilet and sink fixtures. But toiletries are nice.
Overall, my wife and I both really like what's going on with this hotel. Next time in NY, this will probably be our destination.
Would love to see a recent review of the Manhattan!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Have anyone stayed in a renovated dbl room? And is there a lounge like the Westin TSQ? Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Any idea as to status of renovations?

Any recent stay especially with regard to status of renovations? Thinking of a mid-March points stay. From previous posts, looks like ongoing renos in Oct/Nov. Would appreciate any current info. Thanks!
chop
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by choptliva
Any recent stay especially with regard to status of renovations? Thinking of a mid-March points stay. From previous posts, looks like ongoing renos in Oct/Nov. Would appreciate any current info. Thanks!
chop
When I stayed four nights at the end of November/beginning of December, I was told by the front desk that renovations would begin early in 2012 on the lobby area, and I recall her mentioning March.

A few notes from my stay:

- I was in what appeared to be a relatively renovated room on a high floor. All in all, pretty nice. Comfy bed, flat-screen TV, modern lighting fixtures, a faux W or Westin feel.

- Not so nice: It's an old hotel HVAC system which either heats or cools, but not both in the same season (despite the thermostat). The week I was there it was unseasonably warm in NYC and there was no way to get the room down to a comfortable sleeping temperature at night, even when opening the windows as much as they would open onto a typically noisy Manhattan street (which also didn't help sleep). I was told by the hotel there is no fix for this.

- There are NO coffee makers in the rooms. Nor are there any available by request. I was told there may be some when renovation to a Westin is complete.

- The mini-refrigerator in the room is either off or freezes anything in it (apparently set very cold; I couldn't find the thermostat internally). I suspect this is a holdover from a mini-bar. My bottled water became Otter Pops.

- As I expected, there is no SPG lounge (to answer another question above). But SPG members were being comped Internet access during the conversion to a Westin while I was there, no matter what their level of SPG participation.

Aside from the nits above, the location is great.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
TripAdvisor reviews were almost uniform in how distant and uncaring the entire staff is. Are people still having that experience here?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by stevens397
TripAdvisor reviews were almost uniform in how distant and uncaring the entire staff is. Are people still having that experience here?
I hesitate to say this, but: I have never had a warm, caring staff at any Starwood Manhattan hotel: Westin, Sheraton, W, whatever. Even non-Starwood, to my recollection.

In Manhattan, they may be efficient, but not really all that into you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.