Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
I can't help either. I had a reservation booked here for last weekend at my corporate rate, and decided to bail and go to the Westin Times Square on C&P.
Old May 4, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
First time poster, long time lurker.

I tried the Helmsley last week for a 2-night stay. Observations:

- Front desk staff still not Starwood-educated. No amenity. No welcome. A bit overwhelmed.

- As configured, I was told there are only 4 suites. None available for me at check-in. Perhaps more suites will be built in during renovation.

- Staff very friendly, appeared to be looking forward to the new sheriff in town.

- Good restaurant, better than what i was expecting.

- Rooms and lobby in big need of upgrade to achieve Westin brand standard. But not horrible. I paid about $260 which I thought was fair.

In the end, about what I was expecting. Needs some TLC and focus on SPG practices.
Old May 5, 2011, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Swellfam
First time poster, long time lurker.

I tried the Helmsley last week for a 2-night stay. Observations:

- Front desk staff still not Starwood-educated. No amenity. No welcome. A bit overwhelmed.

- As configured, I was told there are only 4 suites. None available for me at check-in. Perhaps more suites will be built in during renovation.

- Staff very friendly, appeared to be looking forward to the new sheriff in town.

- Good restaurant, better than what i was expecting.

- Rooms and lobby in big need of upgrade to achieve Westin brand standard. But not horrible. I paid about $260 which I thought was fair.

In the end, about what I was expecting. Needs some TLC and focus on SPG practices.
welcome to ft swellfam....thanks for the report....
Old May 25, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I'm here now for one night. I was able to score an upgrade to a "Premium Room" which are the newly renovated rooms good size on the top floors --- I'm on 38th. I love it --- but minibar not stocked and no offer to carry bags to the room (which I don't mind but seems odd). Anyway for $289+tax I can't complain. I'd definitely stay here again.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I stayed here earlier this month, it was clear the whole SPG thing was new. That said they did recognize me as Plat, offered amenity and I got a nice room that looked to be referbed.

I did have a couple complaints though
1) my flight to JFK was horribly delayed and I got into JFK a bit after 4AM, I had been traveling nonstop the last few weeks and had nothing but a blank stare to offer the taxi driver when asked where to. Simple enough I phoned the Plat line to ask where I was staying and found out the hotel had canceled my reservation as a no-show, sorry but guaranteed for late arrival used to mean something, they were able to sort it out on the drive but still at checkin it took 20mins and the supervisor to get me checked in.

2) no water, ANYWHERE. I'm used to getting at least a bottle of water in my room for free but have no problem paying the $4-$8 for some water when I get back. Well at this hotel you're out of luck as there is no water at all, not even to pay for let alone a free one.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: A few
sounds like a bad cab driver the helmsley is a pretty well known ny hotel
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ryan182
2) no water, ANYWHERE.
How can they get away with having no sink? And not being able to take a shower or perform bodily functions isn't my idea of a good hotel either.

I'm totally amazed at how big a business (and general waste) bottled water is. As long as I'm in a developed country, tap water is just fine for me.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
sounds like a bad cab driver the helmsley is a pretty well known ny hotel
Re-read the post. It was the OP who couldn't remember where he/she was staying.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Any recent reports??? How does this compare to the other 10,000 point hotels?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by abk
Any recent reports??? How does this compare to the other 10,000 point hotels?
Same question, looking at this hotel best rate is $529($610 w/ taxes) so 10,000 points seems like great redemption value, if the hotel is worth it.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:37 pm

Construction Noise/Poor Customer Service

My wife and I checked in last night. Loud drilling on 42nd street below began around 11 p.m. and continued past 3 a.m.-felt like we were in the middle of a construction zone. Loudest noise I've ever heard during a hotel stay, and neither of us could sleep. Around 2 a.m. I inquired with front desk manager about moving to another room for my 2nd and 3rd night stays. He said no other rooms available for duration of my stay (though lots of availability on spg.com) and GM not available to discuss until Monday (day of my departure). With intervention of SPG plat concierge this morning, we have the possibility of moving to another room, but no guarantee on noise level. Have purchased and will use earplugs tonight! So, noisiest room ever + poor customer service = won't return.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YoungMem
My wife and I checked in last night. Loud drilling on 42nd street below began around 11 p.m. and continued past 3 a.m.-felt like we were in the middle of a construction zone. Loudest noise I've ever heard during a hotel stay, and neither of us could sleep. Around 2 a.m. I inquired with front desk manager about moving to another room for my 2nd and 3rd night stays. He said no other rooms available for duration of my stay (though lots of availability on spg.com) and GM not available to discuss until Monday (day of my departure). With intervention of SPG plat concierge this morning, we have the possibility of moving to another room, but no guarantee on noise level. Have purchased and will use earplugs tonight! So, noisiest room ever + poor customer service = won't return.
Unless this was hotel construction, it's hard to understand why anyone would blame the hotel for street construction noise. This is NYC, after all. I always travel to major cities with ear plugs and a white noise machine.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Just completed a 4 night stay. I was a bit nervous given the recent reviews, but for $260 all in I figured I would chance it. I called when I booked to ask if I could be out on a premium floor, and they said no problem.

My take aways:
Rooms decent if you get a good price under $300 would be my range and a premium room
I like the Murray Hill location
Staff is slightly inept and rude, but hey you cant win them all
I would stay there again, but would only be high on my list if on a budget (or this case participating I 3x points)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA UGS, SPG Plat.
Quality of Rooms?

Are the renovated rooms bad? Do you think that this hotel will be a category 5 next year once all of the rooms have been renovated? I'm heading to NYC in November and do not plan to be in the room that much but don't want to stay in a dive. Any thoughts from recent travelers? Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by West Coast 1K
Are the renovated rooms bad? Do you think that this hotel will be a category 5 next year once all of the rooms have been renovated? I'm heading to NYC in November and do not plan to be in the room that much but don't want to stay in a dive. Any thoughts from recent travelers? Thanks!
Renovated rooms aren't bad, modern furniture, comfy bed, etc. The bathrooms still have the older shower/tub with an updated vanity.

We were told all the rooms, even the updated rooms, were going to be updated again before the rebranding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.