Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ldsant
Had a reservation at the W; they couldn't find it although the Platinum Concierge saw it 10 minutes before I arrived.
Did you show them a copy of the reservation? I know you've been traveling so perhaps didn't have a hard copy, but what about the copy on your computer?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did you show them a copy of the reservation? I know you've been traveling so perhaps didn't have a hard copy, but what about the copy on your computer?
No I didn't and should have.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I didnt find the location to be an issue and we were there over the weekend. We walked to Belden Sq restaurants and also walked to Fishermans wharf from the hotel. It was a nice, easy 20 min walk. There is a great Diner at end of street that LM hotel is on near the Piers (I think it was called City Diner). Its in a cable car, and was great for a bit of fun.
Sounds like the Fog City Diner:

http://www.fogcitydiner.com/
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:03 am

Smile jvmurph

Originally Posted by CMV
Can anyone weigh in on the St. Francis versus the W and Palace? I need someplace to put my parents when they come into town.

Thanks.
Stayed at the Westin St. Francis for 5 nights in Aug/Sept. Loved the hotel...lot's of old world charm. The Westin Heavenly bed is fantastic and it made good use of the bathroom space. It's in the middle of Union Square and the cable car stops in front of the hotel.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Follow-up Information to my stay this week

Wow! Gotta LOVE FlyerTalk and the lessons learned.

I asked for the GM while I was at the Westin (the day I was checking out). They are "in between" right now but I spoke with Mr. R. who is the hotel manager. Not sure why he isn't being selected as the GM! Explained the difficulties I had and some suggestions for him e.g., there should be free Internet and phone calls and some type of recognition for Platinum members (there is NOTHING). He listened without interrupting, asked some clarifying questions, and explained how in fact they are not part of Starwood proper but license the spg name. He said that he appreciated my time and that I had good points since he realizes what a competitive environment the hotel business is in. He apologized for what happened during my stay and was unbelievably gracious. I am so impressed! He also made sure that I had a late check-out (was working a trade show) so that I didn't have to run back to the hotel in the middle of the show.

Lessons learned from FT:
  • Bring HARD copy of my confirmation/reservation
  • Talk with the Manager WHILE ON PROPERTY
  • Be GRACIOUS
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Westin good for SPG General Members?

My sister and her family are usung the free night they earned during Q4'08 promo.

They are leaning towards the Westin because that property shows two queeen beds in its double rooms.

I told them to consider getting 2 rooms or stay at Le Meridien.

Opinins?
TIA
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Wow, my mind is swimming after re-reading this thread. (I posted my own, asking for advice about which *wood property to choose next week in SFO. Now I'm even MORE confused! Maybe I'll stay one night at a Westin, one at LM and one at the Palace? (Not much mentioned about Palace lately.)

Between this thread, Trip Advisor and my own thread, I'm making notes and trying to choose. I know everyone has their own preferences, I just want a hotel that has a good rate, kind employees and Platinum upgrades. And I'd like to be close to Union Square. I think. Hmm.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
which hotel to pick?

I will be in the SFO area for about 4-5 days. I plan on visiting certain locations in SFO (such as Chinatown, etc), but I also want to go visit a winery, the big sur, and one of the sequoia forests.
I want to pay for this hotel instead of using points, but I don't feel like paying premium down town prices.
Based on what I want to do, what SPG property would you pick?
I'm considering the following:
-W Silicon Valley
-Four Points SFO bridge
-Four Points Saint Rafael
-Sheraton Pleasanton
-Four Points Sheraton

I will have a car, if that matters.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dimramon
I plan on visiting certain locations in SFO (such as Chinatown, etc).
Chinatown is in San Francisco, it's not at SFO (which is the airport).

With the exception of Big Sur (which is the real haul), I would suggest San Rafael as the best location. Pleasanton is in the middle of nowhere, and Emeryville isn't convenient to anything. San Rafael will put you within a half hour of Muir Woods and San Francisco, and less than an hour to the Sonoma wineries. If you really want to go to Big Sur, it's a 3-4 hour drive, so you'd probably want a hotel down that way for a night.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I used the airport abbreviation to refer to the town.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
3 nights / 3 stays

Last week I stayed one night each at the Westin St. Francis, Westin Market Street, and the Palace Hotel

1. St. Francis - disapointed
After all the hype, I was disapointed. I believe I was upgraded (at least that is what the keycard jacket said) to the 22 floor in the newer tower. The room was dated and loud since it was near (but not next to) the elevators. The lobby is undergoing renovation and hopefully they hit the rooms too.
2. Westin Market Street. - like it
I was upgraded to a corner suite (checked in 3 times, first time was too early, second time the system was down). After entering my room, there was house keeping/maintenance that dropped in 3 times in the first hour. All for small things, like replacing mouthwash. (Reminded me of the thread about a person in Madrid that had money stolen after several knocks on the door to change something out after they arrived.) Luckily, all was good and there were no more interruptions and no thievery. Anyway, I liked the corner suite, room was open, airy, great views, and modern in the typical Westin motif.
3. Palace Hotel - Top notch
Best of the three by far. great property, upgraded to a huge corner suite on the 5th floor. service is excellent and the hotel has an old world class about it.

If the prices are comparable, I would stay at the Palace every time. All three hotels are within 5 to 6 blocks of each other.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

With the exception of Big Sur (which is the real haul), I would suggest San Rafael as the best location. Pleasanton is in the middle of nowhere, and Emeryville isn't convenient to anything. San Rafael will put you within a half hour of Muir Woods and San Francisco, and less than an hour to the Sonoma wineries. If you really want to go to Big Sur, it's a 3-4 hour drive, so you'd probably want a hotel down that way for a night.
Would San Rafael be a better choice than the W in Silicon Valley?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dimramon
Would San Rafael be a better choice than the W in Silicon Valley?
For access to wine country and Muir Woods, yes. For access to Big Sur, neither option is very good. If you want to get anything out of it, I wouldn't stay anywhere north of Monterey.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm Reason: removed unnecessary bickering
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Dollar for dollar, Le Meridien blows them all away, despite a less-than-ideal location.

The W is fairly brand-standard, and the Westin Market Street feels like your typical Westin.

I have tried the Palace twice and been disappointed twice.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm Reason: removed replies to now-deleted off-topic comments
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
I have also had great stays at the Le Meridien. They often have weekend deals for $99-$119 a night and these are a steal! The hotel is great, but the location is not that spectacular, esp on the weekends. The St Francis is much more central but also a little tired, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.