Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I created and added my Identity number to the room upon check-in. After checking out I noticed that my nightly room charge, daily resort fee, and restaurant charges (charged to the room) earned me enough Identity points which shows that I now have a free complimentary night. Though, five plus days later and no Marriott points have hit my account. Guessing they are just delayed.
As far as I know you cant double dip. Its one or the other.

However, I think you only earn MR points on the room rate and in room dining.
I take all my other dining receipts to Identity desk and have them add points or give it to restaurants when signing the check.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

As far as I know you cant double dip. Its one or the other.

However, I think you only earn MR points on the room rate and in room dining.
I take all my other dining receipts to Identity desk and have them add points or give it to restaurants when signing the check.
Right, that's what I was looking to obtain. MR points on the room rate and Identify points on everything else. I assume the points just haven't been posted yet as I took the 1,000 welcome points.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Right, that's what I was looking to obtain. MR points on the room rate and Identify points on everything else. I assume the points just haven't been posted yet as I took the 1,000 welcome points.
Ive had to chase those MR points in the past. Ten days after the stay, I would file my claim with MR .
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:28 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I've followed this with some interest and toss this out to all those who wanted their comp breakfast..... are you booking the normal BAR offer thru marriott.com ?
why would you not turn to Virtuoso / FHR etc to get your breakfast and a further 100USD to use on property?
Lunch for two at Milos with wine will run you about 100USD
is there something I am missing about how to book Cosmo as a Plat cost wise?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta PM
You guys are absolutely nuts over your free breakfasts! I love following this thread for all things cosmo related (I have no mariott status) and I'm about ready to offer to buy you folks breakfast so we can get back to something OTHER than the freek breakfast which, by the way, is never going to be honored here! I dont know that for a fact but after reading the 600 posts about it I think it's a solid assumption. Good luck in your quest for chex!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
You guys are absolutely nuts over your free breakfasts! I love following this thread for all things cosmo related (I have no mariott status) and I'm about ready to offer to buy you folks breakfast so we can get back to something OTHER than the freek breakfast which, by the way, is never going to be honored here! I dont know that for a fact but after reading the 600 posts about it I think it's a solid assumption. Good luck in your quest for chex!
I don't think the people are going nuts specifically for free breakfast at the Cosmo but rather the egregious abuse of the Marriott T&Cs. Basically if this property can do whatever they want for something as simple as breakfast what is stopping them from abusing other Marriott T&Cs? Although the buffet breakfast at the Wicked Spoon is pretty nice and maybe worth fighting over .
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
I mean, free breakfast at Cosmo is easy, just book with Virtuoso or FHR. I'd be surprised if other similar programs didn't offer the same. The real issue is the T&C's. If they don't follow this set of rules, why would they follow any others? Why would any of the Marriott hotels spend money on following the T&C's? Equally important, the Marriott Guarantee for this benefit is $100 and it appears Marriott doesn't care about enforcing it, they just kick it back to the hotel.
markko likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Some of you may have wondered as I have, do they ever clean the railing glass and if so, how? Conceivably they could lean over each balcony and do it, but nope! They hire these brave guys to hang from a rope.

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by azmojo
Some of you may have wondered as I have, do they ever clean the railing glass and if so, how? Conceivably they could lean over each balcony and do it, but nope! They hire these brave guys to hang from a rope.
That is not a job for me
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
That is not a job for me
For a job that's practically unskilled* labor they make a pretty nice salary.

*yes, there is a certain level of technical knowledge necessary for self-belaying, but it's the kind of thing you learn in a day.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
For a job that's practically unskilled* labor they make a pretty nice salary.
I'm not saying that it's not a decent job for the right person, but my general fear of dangling from a rope, hundreds of feet above concrete, rules it out as a viable career option for me personally. However, it's probably better than most high rise window cleaning gigs since you can just climb onto a balcony if you get stuck.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'm not saying that it's not a decent job for the right person, but my general fear of dangling from a rope, hundreds of feet above concrete, rules it out as a viable career option for me personally.
Oh, I totally agree, I was just pointing out that it's a very nice job for someone with little to no education.

I can't imagine doing it either, I love rock climbing, yet the thought of just dangling and cleaning something terrifies me for some reason.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Oh, I totally agree, I was just pointing out that it's a very nice job for someone with little to no education.

I can't imagine doing it either, I love rock climbing, yet the thought of just dangling and cleaning something terrifies me for some reason.
Same here - Im not afraid of heights, just cleaning.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj

Same here - Im not afraid of heights, just cleaning.
I do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night screaming, after having a dream about tripping, falling and drowning while cleaning my bathroom.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
So I just concluded a one night stay where I tried to get my promised free breakfast welcome gift. The initial discussion with the Autograph Lounge desk clerk and ultimately the Director of VIP services went as previously reported and as could be predicted. I then followed up with an email to Director of VIP Services requesting $100 compensation for the denial of choice of breakfast for the welcome gift.

My email basically stated:
1. The T&Cs contain 4 mentions of "Cosmopolitan" with 1 policy exemption for Cosmo relating to premium Internet but no mention of any exclusions for breakfast.
2. Why would language exist to exclude the Internet but not the breakfast?
3. The compensation clauses exists for situations just like this.

I got a reply from the Autograph Lounge Supervisor basically saying:
1. The Cosmo offers an arrival amenity of 1000 points or $10 F&B credit.
2. The "Resorts Only" section does not limit the Cosmo to offering only 1000 points or breakfast, and they can choose to offer 1000 points or $10 F&B credit.
3. The absence of a breakfast amenity exception does not mean that they must pay me $100 compensation.
4. All interpretations of the Loyalty Program Rules are at the Company's sole discretion, and the Company's decisions will be final.
5. Marriott is aware that they do not offer breakfast and do not pay $100.
6. If you escalate to Marriott they will just refer you back to us.

I sent another reply, basically stating:
1. The logic in her reply fail reasonable interpretation. Cosmo is a resort and must provide the choices mentioned under "Resorts Only" but they are certainly free to offer additional choices if they wish, this is very clear.
2. Their replies have failed to identify any policy exclusions allowing them to opt out of offering breakfast.
3. If Marriott allowed this, why wouldn't they add language stating this? It would be just one more exclusion of the dozens already in the document.
4. What is the purpose of mentioning $100 compensation for denial of amenity when a hotel can arbitrarily decide they aren't going to follow the policy. Comment: If not this situation, what situation is this compensation clause intended for?
5. A brief discussion of this being a poor business practice to promote benefits and offers to obtain business with no intention of honoring them, and a wonderment of what the NV AG or how a court would view this matter.

A final reply:
1. They are working with Marriott to make the breakfast exclusion clearer
Comment: How hard is it to add a line of text? There must be more involved, some kind of negotiations with Marriott, I'm guessing Marriott isn't willing to waive this without concessions or they'd just add the asterisk and exclude Cosmo, IMO.
2. As a gesture, they have refunded charges from my stay which came in at just under $100. Comment: It might have helped that I am a Sterling member of Identity. Regardless, I am happy with this.

So there you have it folks... good luck!

Notes from my stay:
The new food options (4 new restaurants where the old sports book was) bring some more quick and affordable food options and are really nice to have. Hot Chicken was delicious, as were the breakfast options at The District (?) and it was nice that they didn't have much line while Egg Slut still has the perpetual long line that never seems to go away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.