Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:00 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Any updates? I'm staying there next Sun-Thursday.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jfulcher
An update on what? Breakfast? You won't get breakfast.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jfulcher
You won't get breakfast. The cheapest option without a line is the small cafe just past the lobby across from the Chelsea tower elevators. They have decent breakfast paninis for ~$12. Eggslut can sometimes have a line depending on how late in the morning you go. District 16 on the same level as Eggslut has a gourmet doughnut place. Then you have the Starbucks. Grab coffee for free in the Autograph Lounge. They have a Starbucks machine that makes some really great cups of coffee, similar to a french press.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott
I had similar response. I called Marriott right after I was refused by the front desk and the customer care called the hotel but just passed on the message that "Cosmo opts out" to me and even hung up on. I wrote tens of emails... Marriott forwarded my email to the hotel and the hotel says they opt out. And I wrote emails again and was told that Cosmo is not a resort so the hotel does not violates the policy??? I asked the customer care what the "resort fee" I was charged for and waiting for a response. It really pissed me off that I had to spend this much of time dealing with this .....
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by justwong
I had similar response. I called Marriott right after I was refused by the front desk and the customer care called the hotel but just passed on the message that "Cosmo opts out" to me and even hung up on. I wrote tens of emails... Marriott forwarded my email to the hotel and the hotel says they opt out. And I wrote emails again and was told that Cosmo is not a resort so the hotel does not violates the policy??? I asked the customer care what the "resort fee" I was charged for and waiting for a response. It really pissed me off that I had to spend this much of time dealing with this .....

What's annoying is they just say Cosmo opts out, as if a hotel can just say we don't want to provide program benefits. I think we've figured out a tortured path regarding that Cosmo may not be a participating property and MR has the right to interpret the policy. Of course, if they wanted to avoid confusion, they could just state that Cosmo doesn't provide the breakfast benefit. They knew how to write that Cosmo doesn't provide the premium internet benefit in the T&C. Cosmo likely doesn't want to do that, however, because they want to look like they are participating in the program.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:41 am

The problem is that if the Cosmo decides to opt out of certain elite benefits, that just sets a precedence for other hotels to opt our of benefits in the future, and eventually other general managers and hotel owners will find out how to do this and save money at their own hotels by denying benefits.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Dsm1012
The problem is that if the Cosmo decides to opt out of certain elite benefits, that just sets a precedence for other hotels to opt our of benefits in the future, and eventually other general managers and hotel owners will find out how to do this and save money at their own hotels by denying benefits.
Which is why it needs to be written into the T&C more clearly so that the AC in Poughkeepsie doesn't say we don't provide the $10 plat gift because we've opted out, someone calls MR about it, and MR says call the hotel because they've opted out.

That being said, there are two mega Autograph properties written (albeit poorly) into the T&C. Wonder how the other one -- Atlantis -- handles plat arrival benefit? That being said, it has such bad reviews on FT for elite recognition, I wouldn't go there anyway.
Horace likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Given the stated aim of reducing the costs of elites to properties, most of Marriott’s actions make sense (let’s ignore the total failure of the IT system).

An unremarkable but measurable way to really turn the dial is to be much less rigid with properties in adhering to benefits, and a property like this would make as much difference as the entire Bible Belt full of Fairfax Suites, or whatever it is they’re called.

I’m a slightly Germanic kind of guy who takes offence when one of my strategic suppliers chooses to not deliver their side of the contract and then refuses to explain why, but I realise that for many others so long as Marriott remains large it is a valid choice.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:24 pm

Just an update on my end. I received a call from another manager at the Cosmo saying that he followed up with Marriott and that they are in the process of updating the terms to exclude the Cosmo from offering breakfast. He apologized and refunded the 2 charges I had from the buffet that I went to even though I didn't ask for it. He also stated it's been causing issues not only for myself but for other platinum members and they're working on getting it updated ASAP.

So I guess that's that. What should have taken 5 minutes of time took numerous phone calls, contacting Marriott Corporate Relations, a Facebook message, and roughly 3 hours of total time. I really wanted an additional apology and follow up from the terrible treatment I experienced from the Marriott customer service manager but oh well, at least I finally got someone at Marriott to admit they're in the wrong and that they're going to fix it. We'll have to see if they actually follow through. I have a 14 day stay coming up in Maui next week at Sheratons & Marriotts, can't wait to see what issues I have there.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by x10Corey
Just an update on my end. I received a call from another manager at the Cosmo saying that he followed up with Marriott and that they are in the process of updating the terms to exclude the Cosmo from offering breakfast. He apologized and refunded the 2 charges I had from the buffet that I went to even though I didn't ask for it. He also stated it's been causing issues not only for myself but for other platinum members and they're working on getting it updated ASAP.
So ... maybe out collectively we've accomplished something ..... just not something helpful... sigh!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Even if the terms & conditions are updated with completely clear, absolutely unambiguous language about the Cosmopolitan, I have news for the manager: Most Platinum Elite guests will still expect Autograph Collection resort benefits at an Autograph Collection resort — and that includes breakfast for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option.

It should not be necessary for every guest to look for property-specific exceptions in the fine print of the terms & conditions for every property before every stay. There are 6,700+ properties! It's hard enough to know the benefits at 29 different brands.

Shame on Marriott for allowing property-specific exceptions.

Maybe the Cosmopolitan should just comply the Autograph Collection standards. Attracting plenty of Platinum Elite guests would probably be good for business.

So I guess that's that. What should have taken 5 minutes of time took numerous phone calls, contacting Marriott Corporate Relations, a Facebook message, and roughly 3 hours of total time. I really wanted an additional apology and follow up from the terrible treatment I experienced from the Marriott customer service manager but oh well, at least I finally got someone at Marriott to admit they're in the wrong and that they're going to fix it. We'll have to see if they actually follow through. I have a 14 day stay coming up in Maui next week at Sheratons & Marriotts, can't wait to see what issues I have there.
The good news is that there haven't been posts on this board about Marriott legacy full-service resorts failing to comply with the post-August 18 Platinum Elite benefits, including daily breakfast for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option for Platinum Elite guests.

At Starwood legacy resorts such as Sheratons, nothing has really changed regarding daily breakfast for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option for Platinum guests.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:12 pm

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I created and added my Identity number to the room upon check-in. After checking out I noticed that my nightly room charge, daily resort fee, and restaurant charges (charged to the room) earned me enough Identity points which shows that I now have a free complimentary night. Though, five plus days later and no Marriott points have hit my account. Guessing they are just delayed.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I created and added my Identity number to the room upon check-in. After checking out I noticed that my nightly room charge, daily resort fee, and restaurant charges (charged to the room) earned me enough Identity points which shows that I now have a free complimentary night. Though, five plus days later and no Marriott points have hit my account. Guessing they are just delayed.
I may be mistaken, but I believe you can receive either Identity points or Marriott points and not both.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by hindolio
I may be mistaken, but I believe you can receive either Identity points or Marriott points and not both.
i’m pretty sure this is the case. One or the other but not both. Because this is such a huge property with good revenue they will get to do what they want. Instead of writing this as a special case in the TC’s they really need to just go ahead and create a 30th brand and throw this and the few others like Atlantis in a new group. They can call it the “Limited Collection.” I give you stubborn guys credit for spending so much time giving em’ hell about this. I gave up on this place but you got your buffets comped so maybe the next 20 FT Plat members can use this as a precedent. 😂😭. It’s really a shame there aren’t any other good Starriot properties on the strip. Cosmo is by far the best in terms of location and finishes and they know it.

What i still find hillarious is that as part of their original development agreement, Jockey Club guests get free Cosmo parking and use of pool/tennis courts for FREE. They are the real Platinums.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:35 am

Thanks for the update. And congrats. Glad you got something and someone did apologize.

At least they will update terms to exclude them to avoid any more confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.