Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I always wonder how do I prove I invoked the guarantee while at the property
FWIW, I I was there for a night almost a year ago, and they forgot to ask what I'd wanted as a check-in amenity (which back then was "points" or "F&B credit", IIRC). I brought it up at checkout, and they gave me the $100 in cash on the spot.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:22 pm

SPG Assist

First message:
"Thank you for getting back to us. We have looked into this for you and confirmed The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas does not offer breakfast as Platinum welcome amenity. Please see here for more info: https://spg.to/2q5sQT4 . If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know."

Second message:
"Please review this again as the Autograph Collection Hotels does not have a dot indicating they offer breakfast."

Third message:
"We believe you have misunderstood the page. The section you quoted was about lounge access. In addition, the property Cosmopolitan Las Vegas is listed as a resort, thus is not to be included in the mentioned section as well."

I point out that the chart they sent states that Autograph Collection Resorts show a breakfast amenity.

Fourth message:
"It is confirmed that the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas does not offer Complimentary Daily Breakfast as a Platinum Welcome Gift option. If you like, we can arrange for a representative at the front desk to speak to you in the morning."
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
If there is any logic behind this interpretation, I don’t get it.

Good Evening Mr. LennartH,

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas has the option of offering a Platinum arrival amenity of 1,000 Points per stay or $10 food and beverage credit per stay instead of the 1,000 Points per stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of stay for Member +1. The "Resorts only" section does not limit The Cosmopolitan to offering only 1,000 Points per stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of stay for Member +1 and it is noted just to clarify that non-resorts cannot offer the 1,000 Points per stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of stay for Member +1.

While I understand your rationale with the premium internet exception which is stated in the Terms and Conditions, the absence of a breakfast amenity exception does not mean that we must grant you the $100 compensation. With this information and with what I stated in the first paragraph, all interpretations of the Loyalty Program Rules are at the Company's sole discretion, and the Company's decisions will be final. The amenities/exclusions that we offer will and do pertain to all Marriott guests that stay with us. Marriott is aware that we do not offer breakfast for Marriott status and that we do not issue $100 compensation for lack of a breakfast amenity. Please note that if you choose to open a case with Marriott regarding this issue, the case will be sent to the hotel and you will be told the same information.

Thank you,
Winsey Lam
Autograph Lounge Supervisor
I am a legacy SPG Platinum and if this is the standard tone that Marriott properties choose dealing with customers, I will probably get back to Hilton. They have their bright and dark spots, as well. But I have never been told anything like „With this information and with what I stated in the first paragraph, all interpretations of the Loyalty Program Rules are at the Company's sole discretion, and the Company's decisions will be final.“ as a Diamond member.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LennartH
If there is any logic behind this interpretation, I don’t get it.

I am a legacy SPG Platinum and if this is the standard tone that Marriott properties choose dealing with customers, I will probably get back to Hilton. They have their bright and dark spots, as well. But I have never been told anything like „With this information and with what I stated in the first paragraph, all interpretations of the Loyalty Program Rules are at the Company's sole discretion, and the Company's decisions will be final.“ as a Diamond member.
Yes, that response is ridiculous. It doesn't explain why they are not on the hook to provide it (which is easy - the Cosmo is not a program participating hotel per the T&C) and the tone is just insulting.

But it is what it is. Unfortunately Elites are not really a big concern for Cosmo and they don't care if they offend you. They have two key demographics: high rollers that they will treat like kings and twice-a-year leisure travelers that go to Vegas every few years. The Cosmo doesn't really care about how they are treated because there is always another warm body to fill the room. Elites fall closer to the second category in the eyes of the Cosmopolitan especially because they are likely mostly point redemptions that don't even earn them much room revenue.

Cosmo is big enough that they don't really feel like they have to listen to Marriott or follow the standards.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
I will be there in about 10 days. I am going to print out the T&Cs and meet with their representative and show them why I am owed a breakfast and challenge them to identify the exception that says they don't have to provide it. It sucks that I will probably have to waste at least an hour of my trip to do this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo
I will be there in about 10 days. I am going to print out the T&Cs and meet with their representative and show them why I am owed a breakfast and challenge them to identify the exception that says they don't have to provide it. It sucks that I will probably have to waste at least an hour of my trip to do this.
you do you but i can think of a lot of stuff to do in vegas that i would rather be doing than trying to fight for $10 worth of food. The cosmo was always one of my "must stay at" properties when i get the chance (first time to vegas they were sold out) but unless something changes in the future i will stay at a different property as breakfast is important to me when i am on a vacation. Surely the Cosmo wont miss me but what else can i do. i did like the Ren by the convention center but i hear good things about the marriott around the corner as well, all suites and full breakfast in restaurant.
kennycrudup and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
you do you but i can think of a lot of stuff to do in vegas that i would rather be doing than trying to fight for $10 worth of food. The cosmo was always one of my "must stay at" properties when i get the chance (first time to vegas they were sold out) but unless something changes in the future i will stay at a different property as breakfast is important to me when i am on a vacation. Surely the Cosmo wont miss me but what else can i do. i did like the Ren by the convention center but i hear good things about the marriott around the corner as well, all suites and full breakfast in restaurant.
I get your point, but I will argue that it is more than $10 worth of food. If I and my companion eat at the cafe the bill will be over $50. The price of the buffet is $40 (each) or so, isn't it? A hearty breakfast will last me until dinner time, saving more money.
For me it's not as much about the food as it is to make a point about honoring contractual obligations. If Cosmo doesn't want to provide breakfast, all they need to do is tell Marriott to add them to the exclusion list. Until then, they need to provide it (IMO).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:20 pm

I get your point, but I will argue that it is more than $10 worth of food. If I and my companion eat at the cafe the bill will be over $50. The price of the buffet is $40 (each) or so, isn't it? A hearty breakfast will last me until dinner time, saving more money.
For me it's not as much about the food as it is to make a point about honoring contractual obligations. If Cosmo doesn't want to provide breakfast, all they need to do is tell Marriott to add them to the exclusion list. Until then, they need to provide it (IMO).
The buffet is around $28 (not including tip) plus tax per person. There should be a 15% discount for Platinums. Multiply that by two across several days and it adds up. I think the managers are fully aware of all of this, yet if you bring it up they will either say the Cosmo has chosen to opt out or they'll look into it (which they will come back and say the resort has opted out).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
The buffet is around $28 (not including tip) plus tax per person. There should be a 15% discount for Platinums. Multiply that by two across several days and it adds up. I think the managers are fully aware of all of this, yet if you bring it up they will either say the Cosmo has chosen to opt out or they'll look into it (which they will come back and say the resort has opted out).
OK, so $28 weekdays, It's $36 on the weekends. Is there anything in the T&C's that allows them to opt out? I'm going to read it again and will update my post if no one beats me to it.

UPDATE:
I guess this is their out:
4.1.c.ii. Local policy may prevail over Loyalty Program standards at Participating Properties, and some Elite membership benefits may not be available at some locations.

However it conflicts with:
4.1.d. Members with Elite Status (“Elite Member”) will receive guaranteed compensation for select Elite benefits in the event those benefits are not available during an Elite Member’s stay (“Elite Benefits Guarantee”).

It seems to me that any property could always avoid paying compensation by simply declaring that they have opted out.

2ND UPDATE:
I think I have it figured out. While 4.3.c.iv.A clearly shows that we are entitled to breakfast and Cosmo is NOT excluded, 4.3.c.iv.B excludes Cosmo from having to pay $100 compensation due to being excluded as a resort.

So basically, Cosmo is supposed to provide breakfast but isn't penalized for not doing so.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by azmojo; Oct 26, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:49 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Marriott Corporate Relations person. I have two huge issues with this. The first being that individual properties can apparently override our benefits whenever they please and we have no recourse, they can even deny giving the $100 compensation outlined in the terms. Second, and what aggravates me the most is that Marriott is not holding their franchises accountable to the terms, and instead just send you right back to the hotel for the 'final say', which makes no sense at all. All they need to do is apologize, update the terms, issue $100 for the confusion and be done with it. Instead, no one is being held accountable and no one at the Cosmo or Marriott seem to care that they are misleading some of their most loyal members. I came from being a Starwood Plat and the merger has not been good for me so far, the Marriott customer service and respect for loyalty members is just terrible.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
So basically, Cosmo is supposed to provide breakfast but isn't penalized for not doing so.
No need to argue for an hour of your vacation. Cosmo won't provide breakfast and won't be penalized. How are you any further ahead?

James
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No need to argue for an hour of your vacation. Cosmo won't provide breakfast and won't be penalized. How are you any further ahead?

James
I'm not going to argue anymore now that I see there is no recourse.

I agree with X10Corey. There is no need to allow this "gray area" to persist. Update the T&C's and enforce them as written. Clear expectations for everyone rather than confusion and frustration, it's not that hard.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

OK, so $28 weekdays, It's $36 on the weekends. Is there anything in the T&C's that allows them to opt out? I'm going to read it again and will update my post if no one beats me to it.

2ND UPDATE:
I think I have it figured out. While 4.3.c.iv.A clearly shows that we are entitled to breakfast and Cosmo is NOT excluded, 4.3.c.iv.B excludes Cosmo from having to pay $100 compensation due to being excluded as a resort.

Why are you looking at 4.3.c.iv.A or B? The correct section is 4.3.c.iii. Platinum welcome gift, resorts included.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Why are you looking at 4.3.c.iv.A or B? The correct section is 4.3.c.iii. Platinum welcome gift, resorts included.
You are correct. I will definitely argue this then.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:13 pm

You are correct. I will definitely argue this then.
Good luck and let us know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.