Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Have any non-guests used the elite expedited entry at Wicked Spoon? Was there any pushback and do you just need to pull up your Marriott app?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by svo242
Have any non-guests used the elite expedited entry at Wicked Spoon? Was there any pushback and do you just need to pull up your Marriott app?
Yes. All that was needed was for me to show my status on the Marriott app.

If a staff member isn't aware of the rules, you can always show them this webpage, which references the Wicked Spoon for non-guests with Bonvoy elite status: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com...n-of-las-vegas
svo242 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I stayed three nights recently. My check-in experience was appalling which, frankly put my overall stay in a negative light. Service from staff throughout the property was average to poor in most place. One exception was the housekeeping staff member for my room who was excellent.

I booked a wrap-around balcony suite with fountain view which was the room I was given. It was a lovely room and view. No upgrade offered.

Front desk needs training on how to treat Ambassador Elite members. The woman that checked me in had a condescending tone and treated me like it was the first time I had ever stayed in a hotel. Not sure why the Cosmopolitan would have someone so hostile at the front desk. If the goal is to put off guests from ever staying at the Cosmopolitan again....she's doing an awesome job.

They have a virtual concierge service called "Rose" that you are supposed to be able to text to get the service you want. I had dirty laundry to submit one morning and the laundry bag indicated to contact "Rose" to arrange pick-up. I tried doing that. No success. I just kept getting pre-packaged responses about how to fill out my laundry form. I ended up calling and requesting pick-up from a human being. Another morning I wanted to order a room service breakfast. I was told I could place my order via the wireless tablet in my room. Great! Easy!.....Wrong! There was no way to order room service from the tablet. The room service menu was there but no means to actually submit an order. Again, I called and ordered from a real human being. Not sure why they bother having all this time saving technology if none of it actually works in making things faster or easier.

The Cosmopolitan seems to be completely oblivious to the Bonvoy program. During my entire stay, I would have never known I was staying at a Bonvoy property or that they cared at all about Bonvoy guests. I'm not sure why they even bother to be in the program to begin with. I still have not received my Bonvoy points for the stay and more than 10 days have passed. Once again, lousy service from the Cosmopolitan.

In conclusion, I really liked my fountain-view suite, however, I would not return to the property. Service levels from staff being the primary reason. This property needs to do a complete re-set/re-training of staff to teach what excellent customer service is really all about. Weed out the folks that are not willing or unable to provide such service.

Final tip for The Cosmopolitan: Sort out the virtual concierge and wireless tablet technology so they actually function the way they are supposed to....or just remove them altogether. As it stands now, they only serve to frustrate guests and waste our time when we could just be calling someone downstairs to make the service request.

I do not recommend staying at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
It sounds like you had bizarre expectations for someone who stays enough to be Ambassador. Cosmo has very limited participation in Bonvoy, as is set forth in the T&Cs and has been beaten to death in this thread. And what upgrade were you hoping for when you booked the fountain view wraparound? A 25k/night Penthouse? LOL.

The "Rose" auto-bot and semi-broken tablet are ubiquitous at this point (at least, I can't fathom how you have stayed 100+ nights at other properties and not encountered similar elsewhere... my tablet didn't work at the PHNY a couple weeks ago but who cares, just pick up the phone). Getting actual room service on plates with glasses, which Cosmo hasn't stopped doing, is way more important than being able to order from an iPad.
renila, camaross and UnderEst like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Front desk needs training on how to treat Ambassador Elite members.

The Cosmopolitan seems to be completely oblivious to the Bonvoy program.
Given the hotel will be leaving Bonvoy next year - and with high occupancy in Vegas - I suspect the mgmt at Cosmo has mentally checked out from the program - I don't expect improvements.
Seat 1F and camaross like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:42 pm

As someone else mentioned, you seem to have unrealistic expectations about what you were planning on getting here. Perhaps you've grown a little too accustomed to having someone wipe your behind at actual Marriott properties, but Cosmo is very limited in being part of the Bonvoy program, and will no longer even be part of it in a few months after the MGM acquisition is complete.

Re: "no upgrade offered", a cursory search on Cosmo's website would have told you that the next level "up" from a Wraparound is either a penthouse, lanai, or bungalow, which are all significantly more expensive, so your chance of getting a free upgrade to one of those is somewhere between "never" and "LOL".

Some of your other points, while semi-valid, are so trivial that all I can do is roll my eyes.

It doesn't sound like this kind of property suits you anyways, and you'd be more at home at an actual Marriott where the staff will bend over backwards to make sure you never forget how special and unique you are.
Tanic, UnderEst and freefalcon like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Everyone let's help each other out and not be hostile. I completely get that the terms are what reign supreme. Let's be real, few people read the terms. The only reason many of us here read the terms is because we experienced not receiving a perk we expected. That way, we know whether or not it is a perk we are entitled to.

After all, Marrott's marketing tends to give an impression about services that the terms say aren't available.

For example, The Cosmopolitan is listed under "Autograph Collection", so a person looking at the Elite Guarantee page will get the impression that there is a free breakfast. However, the terms list the exception.
DJ_Iceman, olouie and m.y like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Check-in does tend to be a weak point at the Cosmo in my (extensive) experience. The problem starts with the very architecture of the building, as there are massive columns chopping up the lobby area that get in the way of a more efficient queuing system. Instead of a single line being serviced by multiple check-in agents, there are multiple separate lines. Although there's a person managing the queues -- effectively merging them -- this gives a sense of disorganization. It also takes ages, but that's a problem at every Las Vegas resort I've ever stayed at.

Once checkin is accomplished, I've found the service to be pretty good, and I appreciate that for example there aren't plastic cups in the room instead of real glasses "because covid" and in fact things are mostly back to pre-covid norms in terms of what one gets for one's $$$.

The other thing I suppose I could complain about is the massive influx of non-hotel guests clogging up the eateries. It gets very crowded and not all of of the crowd actually makes what I'd consider a positive contribution to the ambiance the Cosmo is trying for.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:15 am

deleted
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by luosrevo
Here's my DP -
  • I had two back to back 1 night stays booked through FHR prepaid - was also able to attach my Bonvoy # for elite recognition and the discounts
  • After seeing Bullchan's DP I decided to try something different - so I reported missing stays through Marriott and I submitted the two "stays" separately
  • Submitted on a Friday
    • Response for the first "stay" came back Monday saying it's been forwarded to the Cosmo team for further action; and then Tuesday another response from Marriott saying the rate is non-qualifying after the Cosmo team replied the stay was booked through FHR. Exact verbiage from Marriott was "Stays that are booked at non-qualified rates do not count as qualified stays. Rates that are non-qualified include third-party or internet rates (such as Expedia.com or Booking.com), master billed rates, travel industry or crew rates and wholesale or tour rates."
    • Response for the second "stay" came back Monday as well - letting me know that the elite night and points have been credited accordingly (including the bonus points for the current promotion)
Seems like a hit or miss. I don't think the first vs second stay has any bearing in how it is processed. Luckily for me the second stay has much more room charges and thus more points
I tried this but got a response from Marriott

"While researching your request we were not able to locate your stay in our system kindly help us with the 8 digit confirmation number which you would have received at the time of making the reservation."

I give up.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by tai4de2
Check-in does tend to be a weak point at the Cosmo in my (extensive) experience. The problem starts with the very architecture of the building, as there are massive columns chopping up the lobby area that get in the way of a more efficient queuing system. Instead of a single line being serviced by multiple check-in agents, there are multiple separate lines.
But if you're Plat or higher you can use the Autograph Lounge... it sounds like you're referring to the main check in hall rather than to the lounge? Check in inside the lounge has always been pretty darn easy IMO...
Tanic and camaross like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
But if you're Plat or higher you can use the Autograph Lounge... it sounds like you're referring to the main check in hall rather than to the lounge? Check in inside the lounge has always been pretty darn easy IMO...
True about the lounge, but oddly even the elites in Cosmo's native program (Identity) can't use that lounge, which seems to be reserved for Bonvoy *only*. I am only Bonvoy Gold anyway.

I use the Invited Guest line for Identity Platinums and some level of Bonvoy elites which I'm not sure about because it doesn't impact me. It still takes forever, or at least, can often take forever.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by Xero
Everyone let's help each other out and not be hostile. I completely get that the terms are what reign supreme. Let's be real, few people read the terms. The only reason many of us here read the terms is because we experienced not receiving a perk we expected. That way, we know whether or not it is a perk we are entitled to.

After all, Marrott's marketing tends to give an impression about services that the terms say aren't available.

For example, The Cosmopolitan is listed under "Autograph Collection", so a person looking at the Elite Guarantee page will get the impression that there is a free breakfast. However, the terms list the exception.
You're not kidding. There really are some hostile posters on here. Thanks for your helpful post.

As for some of the other comments I got... I'm aware that the Cosmo is in the midst of being acquired by MGM and will likely be leaving the Bonvoy program. Even so, one has to wonder why they even bothered being part of Bonvoy to begin with if they aren't interested in providing any of the benefits/services Marriott elites expect/want. What's the point? I stand by my prior comments, the quality of service provided by staff at the hotel was generally poor...with a few exceptions. The room and view was lovely. Treatment of Marriott Elites is very poor...even when you have booked a suite. Stay elsewhere.
m.y likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:11 pm

one has to wonder why they even bothered being part of Bonvoy to begin with if they aren't interested in providing any of the benefits/services Marriott elites expect/want. What's the point? I stand by my prior comments, the quality of service provided by staff at the hotel was generally poor...with a few exceptions. The room and view was lovely. Treatment of Marriott Elites is very poor...even when you have booked a suite. Stay elsewhere.
I think the point is possibly simply so that Bonvoy members have a place on the Strip to earn and redeem points. At that mission, Cosmo is successful (though it seems that for most people, the earning side requires what I would agree is an unacceptable level of vigilance). Almost everything else is, apparently, gravy.

Once I realized I would be staying at Cosmo *a lot* in 2021, I ditched Bonvoy there in favor of Identity. The benefits with Identity were considerably more obvious and useful under those circumstances (game's up on that though given Cosmo being sold, with the Identity program an almost certain casualty).

YMMV.
renila and Seat 1F like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:42 pm

The room and view was lovely. [...]
Stay elsewhere.
The implication is that there is another property with at least as lovely a room and view, at a similar price point, that also offers better hotel-chain elite benefits. Care to elaborate on where that might be? I don't get jack at M Life resorts from my Hyatt status. I'm genuinely curious what you would prefer over the fountain view wraparound at the Cosmo.
renila and camaross like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.