Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Toukolou
Room charge, room incidentals (like minibar) and room service earn Bonvoy, general dlning and spa etc...no earn
Originally Posted by Toukolou
Again, only earned on room charge, room incidentals and room service. NOT applicable to general property spend.
Again. Where in American Express Terms and Conditions are "general property spend" or "general dining and spa etc" at a Marriott property excluded from earning bonvOY points?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Again. Where in American Express Terms and Conditions are "general property spend" or "general dining and spa etc" at a Marriott property excluded from earning bonvOY points?
For better or worse, the Cosmopolitan is excluded from many of the traditional benefits of the program.

Fwiw, they run their own internal program called Identity that earns on every other type of property spend. The benefits to this aren't bad. The bottom tier category for example provides for a comped night after $800 spending, which isn't hard to do.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Tanic
SPG AmEx earns 6 bonvOY points per US$ spent at the property. CSR earns 3 UR points which is probably worth the same value, but more flexible.
Correct. The other poster is confusing points earned at the hotel in the Bonvoy program (limited) with points earned by the method of payment (not limited since the hotel is part of the Autograph Collection.)

I agree with you that the UR points may be more flexible.
Tanic and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Last October, I charged dinner at STK on my Amex Bonvoy card and received 6x. We were not staying at the Cosmopolitan. YMMV.
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm staying 3 nights at the Cosmo next month and want your advice which rewards reservation I should keep. I'm Titanium, and it's just me and my boyfriend traveling, arriving on a Sunday and checking out on a Wednesday.

First reservation is for a Terrace 1 bedroom. 180,000 miles.
Second reservation is for a Terrace suite for 240,000 miles.

What would you do?

I couldn't decide when I was booking reservations and decided to hold both until I figured it out.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by GamecockGirl
I'm staying 3 nights at the Cosmo next month and want your advice which rewards reservation I should keep. I'm Titanium, and it's just me and my boyfriend traveling, arriving on a Sunday and checking out on a Wednesday.

What would you do?

I couldn't decide when I was booking reservations and decided to hold both until I figured it out.
I would book the 1bdrm and see if they'll give you an upgrade on check-in (at least fountain view, go for a lower floor as well, better view). You've got a far better chance for an upgrade with a Sunday to Wednesday stay than a Thursday to Sunday stay. I found everyone I dealt with during our stay to be extremely friendly and helpful.

​​​Have fun!
GamecockGirl and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold

What would you do?

The Terrace 1BR is nice and cozy, perfect for a couple. But stay with the Terrace Suite if fountain view is a must, since all Terrace Suites are fountain view rooms and have 2 full baths. I wouldn't book the 1 bedroom and hope for an upgrade, depending on the day you check in and/or what's happening in town then. Good luck and enjoy!
GamecockGirl likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

What would you do?

Are you points rich? 60K points being the difference — and I just spent 70K booking a cat 3 hotel for five nights.

Being Titanium, I always book the lowest category of rooms on points or cash, and hope for a nice upgrade. If I travel with our child, I might pay for a suite. When it’s just the two of us, I would not care too much having a 1 bedroom or a suite.

Arriving Sunday also improves your chances of being upgraded.
GamecockGirl likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Any luck or success rate w/room upgrades? I have reserved 3 rooms for one night (Wednesday).

also, as a Titanium Elite, if I book two rooms, does the upgrade apply to both rooms, or just the room that I am in?

What type of welcome gift should I expect - I dont see anything mentioned on the Cosmopolitan's website?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole
Any luck or success rate w/room upgrades? I have reserved 3 rooms for one night (Wednesday).

also, as a Titanium Elite, if I book two rooms, does the upgrade apply to both rooms, or just the room that I am in?

What type of welcome gift should I expect - I dont see anything mentioned on the Cosmopolitan's website?
You should get one level upgrade on your room. Don’t know about other room.

Welcome gift is the 1000 points or $10 food or beverage credit.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

You should get one level upgrade on your room. Don’t know about other room.

Welcome gift is the 1000 points or $10 food or beverage credit.
That's best case scenario. You'll get to check in using the "Autograph Lounge", a seperate check-in room to the left of the front desk. You'll get coffee/tea from said lounge, water might be offered, otherwise you need to ask. Fifteen percent off of the Wicked Spoon buffet, a 2pm checkout, and maybe, just maybe an upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks to all who responded above about my room booking. I ended up going with the Terrace Suite, thinking I may be lucky enough to get upgraded to a wraparound suite. You never know 'til you try, right?

Very excited about my trip next month. Thinking I may get an appointment at DryBar and try to hit the spa at least once.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Thanks to all who responded above about my room booking. I ended up going with the Terrace Suite, thinking I may be lucky enough to get upgraded to a wraparound suite. You never know 'til you try, right?

Very excited about my trip next month. Thinking I may get an appointment at DryBar and try to hit the spa at least once.
Both Terrace and Wraparound suites are awesome! But IMO, unless they're offering you the Wraparound with a fountain view, I wouldn't take the regular Wraparound over Terrace Suite. Since it's just you and your bf, the extra space is not really worth it over the sacrifice of guaranteed fountain/strip views with the Terrace suite.
GamecockGirl likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:01 pm

Hi Everyone! New to Flyertalk (first post). I have a unique situation here that I haven't seen going when I searched through the thread.

I travel to Cosmopolitan about 5x a year, but ONLY through April - September and every year I have just barely achieved gold status through hotel spend (no gambling). I have Gold Status for this year ending April 2020 and due to more visits than usual, I have locked in for gold through April 2021. For the first (and most likely only time), I have the ability to achieve Platinum on my upcoming trip with just 800$ in hotel spend, which is essentially guaranteed with Spa visits and restaurant spend. This will be my last trip until April 2020 and I may go less next year due to work.

Does it make more sense for me to achieve Platinum Status or or remain Gold? The reason I hesitate is because the tier bump to Platinum will take away my guaranteed gold status through April 2021. According to the rep, I would achieve Platinum status on August 25th 2019 through August 25th 2020, but then would need to spend an additional 4k from August 25th 2019-August 25 2020 to keep gold, when currently I already have gold locked in.

Looking for some expert advice from the flyertalk members. What would you do?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by arko

Looking for some expert advice from the flyertalk members. What would you do?
Would you be able to clarify whether your question is whether you should be going from Identity Gold status to Identity Platinum status?

"Identity" is Cosmopolitan's loyalty program which is based on tier points (spending).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.