Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $35+tax. This fee is increasing to $39+tax effective 01/01/2019.

Hotel charges $10 for self-parking & $18 for valet parking starting Spring 2017. Motorcycles & 2-wheel vehicles exempt. Identity Sterling status provides comp'ed self-parking, Identity Gold status provides comp'ed valet parking.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $35 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $35 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.
This fee is increasing to $39+tax effective 01/01/2019.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for these next 2 points:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Oct 24, 18, 6:04 am
  #2596  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DUS
Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Posts: 155
I will be checking in today. As experiences in this thread sound like, they will probably not offer free breakfast as per Marriott Rewards T&Cs. What would you suggest? Decline to accept any other Welcome Gift and claim the 100 USD (afterwards as they will not honor this compensation either)? I want to avoid lengthy discussions with lower-management staff that have to stick to their rules anyway.
LennartH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 6:52 am
  #2597  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted by LennartH View Post
I will be checking in today. As experiences in this thread sound like, they will probably not offer free breakfast as per Marriott Rewards T&Cs. What would you suggest? Decline to accept any other Welcome Gift and claim the 100 USD (afterwards as they will not honor this compensation either)? I want to avoid lengthy discussions with lower-management staff that have to stick to their rules anyway.
Please keep us updated.
Good luck.
YoungBubbie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:23 am
  #2598  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,808
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Yes. Just to clarify...

At Autograph Collection hotels, daily breakfast for member + 1 is a function of the Platinum Elite lounge/breakfast benefit. This is in addition to the Welcome Gift.

At Autograph Collection resorts, daily breakfast for member + 1 is one of the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift options (in the tradition of many Starwood legacy brands).

In other words, daily breakfast for member + 1 is a Platinum Elite benefit at an Autograph Collection property, regardless of whether it's a hotel or resort.



I agree. It's all in the Terms & Conditions: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Also in the Terms & Conditions — if the Platinum Elite members is not offered a Welcome Gift of the member's choice (based on the options of each brand), compensation applies. For Autograph Collection properties, such as the Cosmopolitan, the compensation would be USD $100. It's important to claim compensation while at the property, not after checking out. Failure to offer breakfast would be enough to invoke the guarantee. Refusal to provide breakfast is worse, but there's not a higher compensation level for that.

You're not reading the terms and conditions properly. I agree it is confusing, and it is misleading that the T&Cs explicitly reference excluded benefits further down which would make you think that benefits not explicitly excluded are included. You can argue that common sense interpretation, but you are not going to win that interpretation with Marriott or the Cosmopolitan who will take a strict legal interpretation.

The T&Cs make it very clear that the Cosmopolitan is not a participating property except that they do allow points to be earned on some fees and instant bookings. Everything else in the T&Cs that references "Participating properties will provide [...]" or similar means that the Cosmopolitan is not included in that because it is explicitly referenced in the sections above as not being a participating property.

Hopefully Marriott will make the T&Cs more clear because it is misleading but advising people to try to get the $100 they are not going to get is a pointless exercise. If you want Elite benefits then don't stay at the dumpster fire that is the Cosmo because you won't get them as they are not a participating property.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:37 am
  #2599  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,449
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
You're not reading the terms and conditions properly. I agree it is confusing, and it is misleading that the T&Cs explicitly reference excluded benefits further down which would make you think that benefits not explicitly excluded are included. You can argue that common sense interpretation, but you are not going to win that interpretation with Marriott or the Cosmopolitan who will take a strict legal interpretation.

The T&Cs make it very clear that the Cosmopolitan is not a participating property except that they do allow points to be earned on some fees and instant bookings. Everything else in the T&Cs that references "Participating properties will provide [...]" or similar means that the Cosmopolitan is not included in that because it is explicitly referenced in the sections above as not being a participating property.

Hopefully Marriott will make the T&Cs more clear because it is misleading but advising people to try to get the $100 they are not going to get is a pointless exercise. If you want Elite benefits then don't stay at the dumpster fire that is the Cosmo because you won't get them as they are not a participating property.
On rereading the applicable portions of the T&Cs, I agree that the Cosmpolitan is excluded from the full benefits of other Autograph Collection Hotels (along with exclusions for Atlantis, Paradise Island).

It has nothing to do with whether the Cosmopolitan is a hotel or resort.

If the front desk at the Cosmopolitan still claims resort status as the justification for its failure to provide Platinum Elite breakfast, then the front desk is needlessly confusing the issue.

Shame on the Marriott executive who signed off on the exclusion for the Cosmopolitan.
Horace is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:58 am
  #2600  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 4,496
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
You're not reading the terms and conditions properly. I agree it is confusing, and it is misleading that the T&Cs explicitly reference excluded benefits further down which would make you think that benefits not explicitly excluded are included. You can argue that common sense interpretation, but you are not going to win that interpretation with Marriott or the Cosmopolitan who will take a strict legal interpretation.

The T&Cs make it very clear that the Cosmopolitan is not a participating property except that they do allow points to be earned on some fees and instant bookings. Everything else in the T&Cs that references "Participating properties will provide [...]" or similar means that the Cosmopolitan is not included in that because it is explicitly referenced in the sections above as not being a participating property.

Hopefully Marriott will make the T&Cs more clear because it is misleading but advising people to try to get the $100 they are not going to get is a pointless exercise. If you want Elite benefits then don't stay at the dumpster fire that is the Cosmo because you won't get them as they are not a participating property.
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
On rereading the applicable portions of the T&Cs, I agree that the Cosmpolitan is excluded from the full benefits of other Autograph Collection Hotels (along with exclusions for Atlantis, Paradise Island).

It has nothing to do with whether the Cosmopolitan is a hotel or resort.

If the front desk at the Cosmopolitan still claims resort status as the justification for its failure to provide Platinum Elite breakfast, then the front desk is needlessly confusing the issue.

Shame on the Marriott executive who signed off on the exclusion for the Cosmopolitan.
I've read the T&C. I disagree it is "very clear," There is no exclusion of the Cosmo from being a participating property although I acknowledge it only references points. The later specific exclusion from premium internet makes clear they know how to make specific exclusions and didn't do it for breakfast. But ... I agree it doesn't matter because MR can interpret this any way they want -- its just not clear they have.

I don't get the point of the other poster regarding the chart. It doesn't matter if it is a hotel or resort in this case for the breakfast benefit.

I hope the latest poster will seek the guarantee and escalate the issue! I always wonder how do I prove I invoked the guarantee while at the property ...
Horace and markko like this.
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 10:39 am
  #2601  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DUS
Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Posts: 155
If the Cosmo was excluded from all other benefits, should the paragraph

xiii. Autograph Collectionģ Hotels - all locations except for:
(...)
B. The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, at which the only charges that qualify for Points are the following:
not say

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, except for earning points. The only charges that qualify for Points are the following:
IANAL but isnít this an important difference in meaning and legal interpretation?

LennartH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 11:00 am
  #2602  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 4,496
Originally Posted by LennartH View Post
If the Cosmo was excluded from all other benefits, should the paragraph



not say



IANAL but isnít this an important difference in meaning and legal interpretation?

The paragraph should read better -- and you'll note that in the internet section, the Cosmo is excluded but not mentioned in the other elite benefits section -- many of which they provide -- but, in this case, it is not an important difference because

"8.10 Interpretation of Loyalty Program Rules.

All interpretations of these Loyalty Program Rules regarding membership are at the Company’s sole discretion, and the Company’s decisions will be final. In the event of any discrepancy between the English version and any translated version of these Program Rules, the English language version will govern."
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 11:04 am
  #2603  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,449
Originally Posted by LennartH View Post
IANAL but isnít this an important difference in meaning and legal interpretation?
LennartH,

I agree that Marriott's wording is poor and misleading. Marriott's wording suggests that the exclusion applies only to how points are earned at the Cosmopolitan. Your wording would be a small change, but a big improvement.

Of course, a much bigger improvement would be for all properties within each brand to comply with all benefits for that brand (except for rare cases when local laws profit something).

The loyalty program T&Cs are complicated enough without hotel-specific exclusions.
C17PSGR, strickerj and ethernal like this.
Horace is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 11:19 am
  #2604  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,808
Originally Posted by LennartH View Post
If the Cosmo was excluded from all other benefits, should the paragraph

not say

IANAL but isnít this an important difference in meaning and legal interpretation?
I agree 100% that it is confusing for a casual reader and I would fully support the change that you referenced because it would make it much clearer. Unfortunately a close legal interpretation would strongly lead it to be interpreted as it not being a participating property because:
  • The purpose of the section is to define which properties participate and do not participate and the Cosmopolitan is highlighted as non-participating
  • All other sections highlight that the property does not participate and then highlights the exceptions to that rule (what benefits do apply)
In terms of being consistent, the only reasonable interpretation is that the Cosmopolitan is non-participating except for the exclusions listed (earn points and redeem nights). This follows the intent and purpose of the section and matches the structure of the rest of the section. You would need clear overriding language to override the default and consistent interpretation in context of the rest of the section. It is poorly worded but to the intent of the Cosmopolitan section is clear in context of the section.

Don't get me wrong, it's stupid, the exclusion is stupid, and the T&Cs are a maze of nonsense that is hard to follow. But it is what it is.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 11:21 am
  #2605  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 4,496
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
LennartH,

Of course, a much bigger improvement would be for all properties within each brand to comply with all benefits for that brand (except for rare cases when local laws profit something).

The loyalty program T&Cs are complicated enough without hotel-specific exclusions.
I'm generally happy with Marriott but I know that American and Delta deliver published benefits to me almost 100 percent of the time. I never have to negotiate to get on the upgrade list and they never (well almost never) let an empty seat in F go out if there is someone on the upgrade list.

Hotels, on the other hand, are a franchise model and its annoying to know I'm only getting published benefits 80 percent of the time and often feel like I have to negotiate for some of those benefits.

Now ... if someone will ask Arne on the conference call in November whether he considers delivering a consistent benefit across properties ,...
ethernal likes this.
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 3:10 pm
  #2606  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Philadephia, PA
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 459
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
They are able to charge a premium because of their relationship with MR. In general, their rates look to me to be a bit higher than the competitors and I can only assume its because of the Marriott relationship.
They can charge a premium because they have a chic modern reputation with quality restaurants and one of the tier 1 day/nightclubs. While Iím sure Marriott Rewards helps, MR+Identity doesnít have near the draw that Total Rewards+Wyndham for the Caesars/Harrahs properties or Mlife+Hyatt for the MGM properties.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
It's undoubtedly fair to say that average Vegas customers, even the fashionable rich ones, are not as discerning or sophisticated as most of the posters on here.
Nor as attractive and good-smelling as FlyerTalk posters.

Iíve got to disagree with you, at least about the upscale Vegas customers.
fordan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 4:59 pm
  #2607  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DUS
Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Posts: 155
I had a lengthy discussion with the lady who checked us in, her next-level manager and Carlo Chavez, Director of VIP Services, this morning. All of them claimed the Cosmo was excepted from offering breakfast. None of them were able to show me any proof. There were different excursions, ranging from "this is a resort" to "we are not owned by Marriott". The height of cheek was "Well, Sir, there are always some guests who think they have found something new in the Terms and Conditions".

I have then claimed 100 USD compensation and was, of course, refused. I have now send an e-mail with the same claim to Mr. Chavez to have some written proof and timestamp and put Marriott customer care in CC.

We'll see how this ends...
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by LennartH; Oct 24, 18 at 5:09 pm
LennartH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 5:24 pm
  #2608  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 4,496
Originally Posted by LennartH View Post
I had a lengthy discussion with the lady who checked us in, her next-level manager and Carlo Chavez, Director of VIP Services, this morning. All of them claimed the Cosmo was excepted from offering breakfast. None of them were able to show me any proof. There were different excursions, ranging from "this is a resort" to "we are not owned by Marriott". The height of cheek was "Well, Sir, there are always some guests who think they have found something new in the Terms and Conditions".

I have then claimed 100 USD compensation and was, of course, refused. I have now send an e-mail with the same claim to Mr. Chavez to have some written proof and timestamp and put Marriott customer care in CC.

We'll see how this ends...
Thanks for taking the lead on claiming the compensation!

As others have noted, the T&C are hardly the model of clarity but there is certainly no exception in the breakfast provisions regarding Autograph Colleciton resorts or the Cosmopolitan.

That being said, I suspect the end result will be something express about the Cosmopolitan not providing breakfast which is still be better than it is now as they will have to publicly announce it.
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 6:30 pm
  #2609  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,311
The SPG twitter support is currently looking into it. I'll give an update.

Check-in was rather cold from the young blonde woman working in the lounge. Upgrade was to a non-fountain facing terrace room. Didn't ask what welcome amenity I wanted. Provided a business card with the platinum benefits. The manager came over and explained the breakfast situation and was rather warm and polite. While not a wrap around terrace suite, room is still nice and other staff have been friendly on my stay.
Astrophsx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:11 pm
  #2610  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State
Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Posts: 442
Cosmo is. 3,000 room hotel that seems to do a great job of staying sold out. I mean the rooms are beautiful, I always got a wrap around suite for a max of $50 extra a night...this was pre-renovation where they went on a massive expenditure a year ago of replacing furniture and even removing kitchens/full size apploamces in some cases. Iím usually quick to complain about tired rooms but I saw this expenditure as a massive downgrade (the old stuff wasnít tired and was of better quality). Along the same time they got much more stingy on upgrades and also cut my credit line as I ďdidnít use the max or get near it enoughĒ which btw, is the whole point because they never want to let you draw it all at once. Anyways my point is 1. Itís a huge property for Marriott so Cosmo mgmt can generally do what they want and in the last 18 months itís become greed and itís pushed away a lot of formerly loyal folks that actually spent money. I do miss the begging emails to stay free in a suite back in 2010-12 to indirectly telling us we can stay away if we arenít playing minimum $1,000 hands. Aria and Wynn seem content with my $125 average.

Anyways, fight the good fight guys but I gave up a year ago on em. Maybe the third or fourth bankruptcy will do the charm. Until the. I will just passive aggressively hang out at their bar for a few hours with friends sporadically playing $5 VP hands haha
ucfjoe is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread