Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $35+tax. This fee is increasing to $39+tax effective 01/01/2019.

Hotel charges $10 for self-parking & $18 for valet parking starting Spring 2017. Motorcycles & 2-wheel vehicles exempt. Identity Sterling status provides comp'ed self-parking, Identity Gold status provides comp'ed valet parking.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $35 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $35 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.
This fee is increasing to $39+tax effective 01/01/2019.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for these next 2 points:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Sep 16, 18, 11:24 pm
  #2551  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
Where does the $100 figure come from? Is that per night?

Guaranteed Lounge Access/ Breakfast. OTOH, the guarantee is worded really oddly. They guarantee it, however it appears that resorts are excluded from compensation if they don't provide it. The terms and conditions are in conflict with each other, essentially.


Edit: I reread it, and it's actually under platinum welcome gift for Resorts. I really hate how confusing there new setup is!

Last edited by Zelucifer; Sep 17, 18 at 11:36 am
Zelucifer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 18, 5:03 am
  #2552  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 143
Looking to stay here for New Year's Eve, I've heard there's carnage on the strip on the night.

My plan is to book a Terrace One Bedroom Fountain View room and use the balcony to watch the fireworks at midnight.

Would this room give us good views? I assume given the description it's guaranteed to face and have a good view of the fountains etc.

I read somewhere above some floors are blocked by a 'Bellagio' sign, is this applicable for this room category, and is there a way of getting a higher room?

Thanks.
drakepassage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 18, 8:32 pm
  #2553  
fwb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Green, A3 *G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post

Guaranteed Lounge Access/ Breakfast. OTOH, the guarantee is worded really oddly. They guarantee it, however it appears that resorts are excluded from compensation if they don't provide it. The terms and conditions are in conflict with each other, essentially.


Edit: I reread it, and it's actually under platinum welcome gift for Resorts. I really hate how confusing there new setup is!
Yes, the updated edition of T&C clearly stated that breakfast is one of the choice. It's clearly presented in a table. It does not state resorts are excluded from compensation.
fwb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 18, 8:36 pm
  #2554  
fwb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Green, A3 *G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by drakepassage View Post
Looking to stay here for New Year's Eve, I've heard there's carnage on the strip on the night.

My plan is to book a Terrace One Bedroom Fountain View room and use the balcony to watch the fireworks at midnight.

Would this room give us good views? I assume given the description it's guaranteed to face and have a good view of the fountains etc.

I read somewhere above some floors are blocked by a 'Bellagio' sign, is this applicable for this room category, and is there a way of getting a higher room?

Thanks.
Last month on a weekday, I booked Terrace One Bedroom Fountain View, and got upgraded to Terrace Suite Fountain View with a $50 sandwich on 19/F.
A few years ago I stayed in a Terrace One Bedroom Fountain View on 50+ floor. I prefer 19/F as I think 50+ floor is too far away from the fountain and the tower.
fwb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 18, 9:26 pm
  #2555  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by fwb View Post
Yes, the updated edition of T&C clearly stated that breakfast is one of the choice. It's clearly presented in a table. It does not state resorts are excluded from compensation.
It definitely makes staying at the Cosmopolitan more interesting. Whether it's $100 or free breakfast.
Zelucifer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:36 am
  #2556  
fwb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Green, A3 *G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
It definitely makes staying at the Cosmopolitan more interesting. Whether it's $100 or free breakfast.
Yes, but the attitude of the staff was not very nice, and the Marriott Customer Care associate also ignored my escalation request. It took me quite a few emails/phone calls to get it solved. I hope more fellow members aware of this benefit and don't get mislead by the hotel anymore, and give the hotel some punishment for not following Marriott's policies.
fwb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 18, 11:18 am
  #2557  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by fwb View Post
Yes, but the attitude of the staff was not very nice, and the Marriott Customer Care associate also ignored my escalation request. It took me quite a few emails/phone calls to get it solved. I hope more fellow members aware of this benefit and don't get mislead by the hotel anymore, and give the hotel some punishment for not following Marriott's policies.
My biggest complaint about Marriott's whole guarantee is that they do not provide explicit instructions for filing a claim. Thank you for the update, and hopefully they fix the issue at Cosmopolitan! The whole ridiculousness of the situation is further compounded by the fact that they do offer free breakfast for FHR and Virtuouso, so it isn't like they don't have procedures in place.
Zelucifer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 18, 6:55 pm
  #2558  
fwb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Green, A3 *G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
My biggest complaint about Marriott's whole guarantee is that they do not provide explicit instructions for filing a claim. Thank you for the update, and hopefully they fix the issue at Cosmopolitan! The whole ridiculousness of the situation is further compounded by the fact that they do offer free breakfast for FHR and Virtuouso, so it isn't like they don't have procedures in place.
Marriott T&C stated guests should claim their compensation from the hotel before check out. I've claimed once before, and the staff from hotel had cooperated without the need to escalate. But their policy does not specify how to do if the hotel refuse to observe the T&C.

From the hotel's reply as well as my experience there, I can feel the hotel just don't want to follow policy and try to keep the cost as low as possible regarding to members' benefits. They tried to make us believe that they are exempt from providing most benefits (and place a charge on our benefits like Internet) by the word "resort". I hope they will realize their mistakes if there are enough members claiming them the $100 compensation.
fwb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 18, 7:13 pm
  #2559  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 457
OK, I was reviewing the T&C (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi), and saw this:

1.3.c.v Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
1.3.cvi. Participating Properties that offer complimentary standard in-room internet access to Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members only include: Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas and The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, NV.

v applies to Cosmo, what is the replacement benefit?
vi says that Cosmo provides complimentary Internet to elites. How is it complimentary if we pay a resort fee that includes internet?
azmojo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:45 pm
  #2560  
fwb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX Green, A3 *G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
OK, I was reviewing the T&C (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi), and saw this:

1.3.c.v Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
1.3.cvi. Participating Properties that offer complimentary standard in-room internet access to Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members only include: Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas and The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, NV.

v applies to Cosmo, what is the replacement benefit?
vi says that Cosmo provides complimentary Internet to elites. How is it complimentary if we pay a resort fee that includes internet?
Unfortunately, the hotel has removed Internet access from the resort fees:

According to https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/faqs
At The Cosmopolitan, we have bundled everyday essentials into one nightly charge of $35 (plus tax). This is automatically added to your bill. It includes:
  • Unlimited local, toll-free and domestic long distance phone calls
  • Fitness center access
  • Tennis court access
Nasty enough.
fwb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 3:53 pm
  #2561  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 457
Originally Posted by fwb View Post
Unfortunately, the hotel has removed Internet access from the resort fees:

According to https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/faqs
At The Cosmopolitan, we have bundled everyday essentials into one nightly charge of $35 (plus tax). This is automatically added to your bill. It includes:
  • Unlimited local, toll-free and domestic long distance phone calls
  • Fitness center access
  • Tennis court access
Nasty enough.
Oh, sneaky.
They do have free guest Wifi and I believe they removed the wired internet connections in the room when they did the remodel. So they probably figured the resort-wide free wifi was adequate and not worth including in the fee. But geez, I used to at least feel halfway comfortable paying the fee for the Internet since I use it a lot, but who makes calls using the room phone or uses the tennis courts? And few guests use the fitness center from what I've seen on the few times I've gone there.
azmojo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 18, 7:04 pm
  #2562  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 4,612
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
Oh, sneaky.
They do have free guest Wifi and I believe they removed the wired internet connections in the room when they did the remodel. So they probably figured the resort-wide free wifi was adequate and not worth including in the fee. But geez, I used to at least feel halfway comfortable paying the fee for the Internet since I use it a lot, but who makes calls using the room phone or uses the tennis courts? And few guests use the fitness center from what I've seen on the few times I've gone there.
Well ... having used the fitness center there, I'll note that we were asked when we came in whether we had paid the resort fee.
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 18, 2:39 pm
  #2563  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,433
Any new updates on breakfast for plats?
C17PSGR likes this.
jfulcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:57 pm
  #2564  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 19
New Marriott Gold stay this past weekend. Check in was still inside the autograph lounge. Very friendly staff inside the lounge honored the upgrade before I even inquired. I booked the cheapest City Room and was upgraded to City Studio I believe. 69th Floor (the highest possible regular floor) in Blvd Tower overlooking Planet Hollywood and Eiffel Tower. Was able to see the entire strip during Vegas goes dark in honor of 1 year of the shooting.

Gold members can also use fast lane for buffet, which saved me at least 20 minutes. Amex also honored the $60 off $300 Marriott hotels promotion. Overall good stay other than some major gambling loses haha.
cpmp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:26 am
  #2565  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 3,150
Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
Any new updates on breakfast for plats?
I am also interested in knowing whether Platinum and Platinum Premier are getting free breakfast at the Cosmopolitan - from my reading of the very confusing new rules, they are no longer exempt as a resort.
C17PSGR likes this.
gardener is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread