Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Trip Report - 9/29/2011 - 10/2/2011

Just returned from a great 3-night stay at the St. Regis Bahia Beach with my wife - here's our take:

Pix are available at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alxstev...7627687246023/

We are SPG Plats traveling with another Plat couple. We are late 30's - mid 40's with kids, this was an adult getaway weekend for us. We've traveled extensively (together and separately) and have, I think, pretty reasonable expectations for where we go. That said, the expectations at this porperty were high having recently been to the St. Regis Princeville, which we all found to be great.

Getting There:
Our traveling companions flight was delayed and the rental car was in their name, so we ended up taking the hotel car service. This was $168 for their least expensive service. I called around before booking that and found rates anywhere from $65 (one-man-band cab companies) to $130 (other chauffeur services). The posted taxi rate to Rio Grande at the airport was $80, so I imagine a cab to Bahia Beach (just past Rio Grande) would have been in that neighborhood.

My wife is pregnant and not really excited about taking any chances, so we went with the St. R's vendor. The driver was there as we arrived, helped with the luggage and had the car at the curb ready for us. It was a Lincoln Navigator, very comfortable, and the ride was uneventful.

Some thoughts: It is about a 35-40 minute drive to get to the hotel, depending on traffic. Though the drive itself is not scenic (highway and small Puerto Rican town on the way) it is also not challenging, directionally. If followed to the letter, the hotel directions are precise and good. What I imagine messes people up is that there are several spots on the drive where the roads and surroundings make you think "This cannot be the right way". It's also a MUCH more difficult drive at night as once you get off the highway the area is somewhat rural and very poorly lit.

For any return visits I'd certainly drive and save the transfer costs, which are more than what a car rental would cost for a shortish visit (even with valet factored in).

Check-In:
After giving our names at the security gate, we were met at the entrance of the hotel by the staff very pleasantly (a theme throughout our visit) and went to one of the two checkin desks. Much like the St. R Princeville, there is no "front desk" - there are two check-in stations where one sits while they check you in. This was no problem for us, but might be tricky if the hotel is busy, which it was not during our visit.

You check in in the main building called the Plantation House, which also houses Fern (the main restaurant) and the bar.

We had booked using FRN's and had been pre-upgraded to an Astor Suite. This is a full, large 2-room suite (see the pictures noted above) with a garden view. The other Plats we were traveling with got upgraded to an Ocean View King room. This is one of the upgrade tradeoffs here - you either get a suite (with Butler service) or a view. The suites that have views are NOT part of the standard upgrade pool.

The Plat alternative amenity for the $60 resort fee is a $10 F&B credit. Not great, but at least it's something.

The Room:
As has been mentioned a number of times on this thread, the rooms at this property are spectacular. They are huge (600+ square feet even for standard rooms) and beautifully appointed. The bathrooms are enormous, with a shower that's hard to describe (see the pix!) and the same huge tub that seems to be a St. R brand standard.

In the Astor Suite there is a full living room with a sectional sofa and large, flatscreen TV. There's also a second bathroom with shower.

We were in room 933, about a 3-4 minute walk from the Plantation Building.
Our entire building seemed to be only 6 Astor Suite units, 2 on each floor.

There are golf carts to take you anywhere on the property but we enjoyed walking on the elevated wooden paths.

For what it's worth, there was REAL HD content on a number of the local channels (they pipe in network channels from NYC) as well as on the pay-per-view movies. There's also a DVD player in the living room with free loaners available.

The Property:
The property itself is spectacular. It is within a large nature preserve, and really feels like it was cut out of the jungle. The overwhelming sense I had while I was there was one of quiet and calm.

There are elevated wooden paths leading from the Plantation House to the low buildings where the rooms are as well as the pool and beach, and roads that lead out to the golf course and boathouse.

The pool was a series of 3 pools, heated to what I think was the most perfect pool temperature I have ever felt. There's a restaurant and bar (Seagrapes) adjacent to the pool, and the beach opens up just past it.

The beach is perfectly serviceable, but is not why you'd come to this resort. The sand isn't perfectly white, and the water isn't perfectly blue (or clear). We found it to be a great place to sit under the umbrellas they set up for you and read, and to put our feet in the water once in a while. During our stay it was a little rough for swimming, though we did see some folks get in.

Restaurants:
There are 3 restaurants on the property - Fern, Molasses and Seagrapes. Again bringing up something that has been mentioned a lot in this thread - food is expensive and drinks are MORE expensive. Some cocktails can run $17, and breakfast and lunch are $50+ for two. I wholeheartedly second the advice to stop at the Ralph's supermarket that's on the way and stock up on beer and wine, at the very least.

Fern is the main restaurant, operated by the Jean-Georges Vongerichten group, and the only one that serves breakfast. We ate breakfast there once, and the view and food were fantastic. Oddly, though breakfast is very expensive, dinner was much more reasonable though no less delicious. There are a number of entree options around $40, which is no bargain, but there's a 3-course prix fixe at $48 that's a great value, and a 5-course tasting menu at $78 that's a steal, especially with the wine pairings for only $30 more. Dinner was fantastic, and well worth the $180 for two we paid.

Molasses is the restaurant at the golf club, and specializes in local Puerto Rican food. We ate there the first night and found it quite good, though definitely falling into the overpriced category. My wife and I were easily able to split one of the entrees as they were quite large, which helped.

Seagrapes is the pool restaurant/bar - about what you'd expect at a hotel of this caliber, pretty good but pricey. The wait service by he pool is a bit spotty, so it can be faster to go to the bar.

Room service is 24-hours, and while I wouldn't call it fast (about 30 minutes per order) it also wasn't slow.

Service
A lot has been made in this thread about the service, so I feel like I should cover it. I will make the disclaimer that the hotel appeared to be no more than half full while we were there, which may have affected things.

That said, our service was uniformly excellent. Absolutely among the best we have had anywhere. The butlers in our room made sure to introduce themselves as they changed shifts, and every request was answered within minutes.

If my wife and I chose to walk anywhere on the property (which we like to do) every single staffer that went by in a golf cart stopped to make sure we didn't need/want a ride.

One night my friend and I bought cigars and mentioned we had a lighter. having heard that but otherwise unasked, the attendant we bought them from made sure that we had cigar matches delivered to our room, which are much better for smoking. BTW, you can smoke on the balconies of all rooms.

Every single person had a smile on their face and a willingness to serve, and none of the slowness mentioned elsewhere.

Overall
Overall, this was an amazing trip for us. This is an expensive property (no matter how you're paying) and we waited for the FRN opportunity to check it out. Now that we've been, I can't wait to go back.

If I had any advice (other than GO!) it would be, based on the other posts in the thread, to perhaps try and find a time that's not so busy. We didn't do that on purpose and maybe we got lucky, but I think there's a lot that this property is doing right that would hold up at any time.

Drop me a reply or a PM with any questions.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta Gold, USAirways Gold, Marriott Silver, AMEX Platinum, Hertz Prez. Circle
Going to give up my free resort night reservation last weekend of Oct.

About the people having difficulties getting a weekend reservation with Free Resort Nights (FRN) at the St. Regis Bahia Beach before the FRNs expire...

I plan to cancel my FRN Fri - Mon reservation for the last weekend in October (28-31) in the next few days. If anyone wants to try their chances at getting that freed up FRN-eligible room, I can plan to cancel my reservation at a particular day and time. Just PM me with a day/time you'd like, and in case I get several replies, why you want the nights. I'll reply back to you if I'll cancel at that time for you.

FYI, I'm planning on cancelling the reservation no later than this Monday.

Would be great if I could help someone out on getting in their fun weekend in PR, since I've been helped out by several folks here on FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:01 pm

some questions for those who have stayed at the Bahia Beach.

Is bottled water supplied daily as part of the "resort fee"?

Also, we are really confused about the driving directions. Some of you have said follow the directions given by the resort exactly. Others have recommended the exact opposite. Some clarity please. Also, would it be at all helpful to bring my GPS from home (much too expensive to rent one)?

Also will gladly welcome ANY recommendations related to our trip.

Hopefully will be posting a great review after our stay.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:44 am

Questions

Originally Posted by orknot2be
some questions for those who have stayed at the Bahia Beach.

Is bottled water supplied daily as part of the "resort fee"?

Also, we are really confused about the driving directions. Some of you have said follow the directions given by the resort exactly. Others have recommended the exact opposite. Some clarity please. Also, would it be at all helpful to bring my GPS from home (much too expensive to rent one)?

Also will gladly welcome ANY recommendations related to our trip.

Hopefully will be posting a great review after our stay.
Yes, water is free. If you take the time to read this post in its entirety you will find all the info you need, we did. Also, regarding car rental and directions see this thread- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carib...o-airport.html

Here is another useful thread- http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...-2#post-879841

Take PR-3 to the resort, it is very easy. GPS will take you right there. Turn left at light right past the Ralphs where the new overhead bidge is being built. Watch for small sign right in the little town of Rio Grande, veer right and in a couple miles right after crossing a smallish new bridge you will see the entrance. It is easy to find, I don't understand why all the hype about it. Look at google earth to see layout of the roads to get a general idea.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:57 pm

Based on the previous posts, I had such anxiety about the directions and losing our way. It was much simpler than everyone made it sound. Follow the directions, they work!! Our only mistake (once) was we missed the main entrance and ended up driving up to the workers entrance the first time, no problem they let us in and directed us where to go, the property is massive so you can be driving around a while if you make a wrong turn even within the property. Enjoy! It's a great place.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
Just nearly booked this as a reward stay. $60 per night resort fee! Ridiculous scam for a "free stay" in a third-world part of the US during worldwide economic hard times. Booked elsewhere.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leisure warrior
Just nearly booked this as a reward stay. $60 per night resort fee! Ridiculous scam for a "free stay" in a third-world part of the US during worldwide economic hard times. Booked elsewhere.
I wholeheartedly agree. $10-15, maybe, but $60 is way over the top, I don't care how spectacular the property may be.
It seems that the resort fee virus has infected most hotels in PR, whatever chain you may consider. I make it a practice to stay at places that don't charge it it at all possible.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum 75, Marriott Platinum Elite
Cool

Originally Posted by leisure warrior
Could not agree more!! We've stayed there before--and talked to Starwood, and the hotel, about it beforehand. Neither would budge! All it is is room revenue--that's it! I saw nothing for the $60.00!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:55 am

Come On!!!

Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg93
Could not agree more!! We've stayed there before--and talked to Starwood, and the hotel, about it beforehand. Neither would budge! All it is is room revenue--that's it! I saw nothing for the $60.00!
What you get for the $60 is impeccable service, your room cleaned and towels swapped out 2x per day. Beach towel service, a concierge service that is wonderful, fast WiFi, golf cart transportation around the resort at your beckoning, kayaks, sailboats (with lessons), bicycles, free champagne at the sword opening demonstration, smors for the kids (and adults), free movies and oh yea did I mention impeccable service and staff trained to learn your preferences.

On a free stay I can't believe people gripping about this. You probably don't belong there anyway. Now, with a paid stay to me the "extra" $60 is pretty ridiculous. It should be included or rolled into the room rate as this probably ticks off 9 out of 10 people.

ADDENDUM- From the responses to my statement regarding "you probably don't belong there anyway" I thought I should clarify what I intended to say. I agree the way that came out could be construed as arrogant. What I was trying to say, and didn't very well, is that you probably would be happier elsewhere as this fee apparently bothers some people so badly that it would over ride all the great things about the resort. If that is the case you probably would be better off staying somewhere else. There, is that better?

Last edited by toddreg; Nov 7, 2011 at 8:18 am Reason: Clarify
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:18 pm

breakfast outside the resort

we booked st regis for 8 nights over the new year. we have stayed at the rio mar for the last 5 years, but thought we would use our points for this hotel and splurge. we have always gone to the palmer bakery for breakfast paninis and brought them back to the hotel to enjoy on our balcony. does anyone know of either a bakery or local diner serving breakfast a short drive from the hotel?

steve
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by toddreg
You probably don't belong there anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You probably don't belong there anyway.
If everyone else's attitude is like this, you're probably right.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
What you get for the $60 is impeccable service, your room cleaned and towels swapped out 2x per day. Beach towel service, a concierge service that is wonderful, fast WiFi, golf cart transportation around the resort at your beckoning, kayaks, sailboats (with lessons), bicycles, free champagne at the sword opening demonstration, smors for the kids (and adults), free movies and oh yea did I mention impeccable service and staff trained to learn your preferences.

On a free stay I can't believe people gripping about this. You probably don't belong there anyway. Now, with a paid stay to me the "extra" $60 is pretty ridiculous. It should be included or rolled into the room rate as this probably ticks off 9 out of 10 people.

ADDENDUM- From the responses to my statement regarding "you probably don't belong there anyway" I thought I should clarify what I intended to say. I agree the way that came out could be construed as arrogant. What I was trying to say, and didn't very well, is that you probably would be happier elsewhere as this fee apparently bothers some people so badly that it would over ride all the great things about the resort. If that is the case you probably would be better off staying somewhere else. There, is that better?
The general opinion of this thread seems to be that the service, while friendly, is far from impeccable and, at least for us, the staff did not learn our preferences. Furthermore, I think your tone toward someone who has a legitimate complaint is uncalled for. Seems to me that you owe GeorgiaDawg an apology.

Mike
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:51 pm

I decided that with all of the negative comments being made about the St. Regis Bahia on this site as well as tripadvisor, I should chime in and give a brief review of my recent stay. I’m not going to attempt a detailed trip report but instead just want to hit on the high and low-lites.

Just got back from a 4 night stay with my wife. We hadn’t planned on leaving the resort so we originally booked the Lincoln Navigator through the hotel to get us to and from the airport for $168 each way before tip. On a friend’s recommendation we cancelled the hotel’s car service and went with a smaller and cheaper company, toursanjuan,com, for $85 each way before tip. We were driven in a new, clean, blacked-out Chrysler 300. $170 r/t versus $336 was a no-brainer and it was a good choice.

HOWEVER, it rained our first full day and my wife decided to call an audible and use the opportunity for us to leave the property to hike the rainforest and check out the kiosks. There is an Avis on-site, but it’s not cheap. They don’t offer anything less than 24 hour rentals and prices start at $90. Between the $170+tip airport transfers and $100 6 hour rental, we would have been better off renting a car at the airport and paying the hotel’s much-discussed $22/night valet fee.

The kiosks were fun, not nearly as shaddy as some have said (although we went during the day) and we had some very good things to eat. We recommend #2.

We booked many months ago using the 50% off rack rate promo for a rate of $454/night in an ocean front standard king. I am SPG Gold and ended up getting upgraded to an ocean front suite. I was planning on asking for the upgrade but didn’t have much hope given that I am not platinum and we are entering the busy season. They offered the upgrade before I had a chance to say anything. When I asked I was told that they were about 50% full when I checked in (Wed) and every room would be taken by the time I checked out (Sun). It wasn’t more than 10-15 minutes from the time we stepped out of the car until we were in a golf cart being given a tour of the property and shown to our room. The suite was everything we could have hoped for and words and pictures do not do it justice. I could write pages on the tremendous bathroom.

As many before me have said, the grounds are spectacular and the minute the gate opens you feel like you are in a first class tropical paradise. Hotel staff are everywhere and they are all eager to greet you and assist you in any way they can. My biggest complaint here seems to have been related to the full-ness of the hotel. In the beginning the service was flawless and requests went fulfilled in minutes if not sooner. As the hotel filled up, things slipped a bit. Examples: Day 1 ice bucket was filled at check-in and at turn-down service; Day 2 ice bucket was filled within minutes of calling and refilled at turn-down; Day 3 took 2 phone calls and 45 minutes to get a bucket of ice. I’m no prince mind you, I would have been happy to get my own ice (which I told the butler when I called the second time), but they insist that they take care of everything. Turn-down service was a no-show our last night. It took 2 calls and 30 minutes to get a cart to take us and our bags from our room when it was time to check out. While in that cart driving away from our room we heard over the driver’s radio an employee begging someone to go pick up another guest and his bags for checkout. No one was available as they were all either busy or on break. We also learned on that last day that everyone was requesting late checkout and they were all being denied because the hotel was at capacity.

We had wonderful, albeit expensive, meals at all 3 restaurants. The waiters learn your names and greet you like old friends at your next visit. I do have a few restaurant comments/complaints: they know that they have a captive audience with limited meal options, so I would have hoped for some changes in the menus from day to day. If not actual changes, at least some differing specials. Even the amuse bouche at Fern was the same each night. Drink costs will bankrupt you if you aren’t careful. $16 for mid-range alcohol and the pours weren’t too generous. $19+ for fruity poolside drinks. $6 for a glass of OJ in the morning. You know it going in, but be warned that you are looking at, after tip, $70 breakfasts for 2, $125+ lunches and $200+ dinners. And my wife doesn’t even drink!

Pool is amazing. There is no sea of chairs and it never felt crowded. I would never have known that it wasn’t heated except for internet reviews. It was very comfortable for us as were the chairs. 4 main pool-related complaints/comments:

1. While the servers were incredibly nice and willing to serve, you had to search them out. Certainly not a big deal, but I’d get up and ask for something (the ice cream sandwich is incredible) and someone would implore me to please go sit back down and relax and I would have my request brought over. I wouldn’t have gotten up in the first place if I had seen someone walking around in the past 30 minutes!
2. Not looking to ruffle any feathers but small children are loud obnoxious beasts (I’m allowed to say that as my small children are loud obnoxious beasts but I would never take them to this type of resort). They really should have an area designated as adults-only. This was our getaway from our children, so we did not need to hear the glee-full screeching of kids having a good time or the pained wailing of kids not getting what they were demanding. There weren’t any areas where we knew we were safe. Mind you, we did not encounter any particularly horrific children or intentionally oblivious parents, but I was paying to escape my reality and it was not possible at the pool.
3. Even though we were warned in advance to bring bug spray, which we used, we both got very bitten up on our arms and legs. Between the 2 of us, we had one confirmed bug bite after ½ day hiking in the rainforest on Day 1, and around 10 after 1 full day lounging at the pool on Day 2. I was bitten almost anywhere that I didn’t spray down with bug spray and re-apply throughout the day. Not sure what the solution is as I wouldn’t want to impact the magnificent wildlife they have there, but as I sit here at my desk back in civilization, I can feel no less than 15 small, red, itchy bites that are begging to be scratched.
4. We had booked a cabana for our first day and, as previously mentioned, it rained. Before we took our rental car to the rain forest we walked out to the pool area to try to let someone know that we wouldn’t be using the cabana. No one was there (obviously, considering it was raining!). When we returned to the hotel later in the day we mentioned to a concierge that we had never spoken to anyone about the cabana, which I knew had a cancellation policy, so the concierge said they’d take care of it. When we got back to our room from dinner that night I received a handwritten note from the concierge explaining that they had spoken to the recreation manager and that we were originally going to be charged a full day cabana rate because of our “no-show”, but the concierge was able to knock it down to a ½ day rate. Keep in mind that no one was using any of the cabanas! It was raining! All it took was a 5 minute polite conversation with a supervisor in reception to get the charge removed completely, but it never should have happened.

In summary, the bad things and complaints are easiest to remember and relay to the internet masses, so it may seem that this property has a lot of strikes against it. The truth is that for every little hiccup mentioned, there were a hundred wonderful occurrences that went unmentioned. Even now as I reread this post, I am reluctant to hit the Submit button as I don't want anyone to think that any of the negatives came close to tarnishing our wonderful vacation. The property, physical plant and staff were superb and everything had a first-class feel to it. I would return in a heartbeat and I cannot understand anyone who would cancel a trip to this wonderful resort based solely on a few message board commenters. I find myself missing the chirps of the Coqui at night and my wife wants me to investigate an in-mirror television for our bathroom. In short, we can't return fast enough.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Batboy,

For a "brief review," you actually produced a nice, long one! Your comments reflect a lot of what we have seen on the board.

One thing I will say about the kids, since it is impossible to mention children on FT without ruffling someone's feathers: I will agree with you that there should have been an adult's only area for those who want to escape, but this is a resort that clearly encourages families (as evidenced by the fact that they have a kids' center and playground, for instance). I'm glad that you didn't encounter any monsters on your trip. We had no reservations about bringing our two-year old twins here.

But this is a point worth repeating: You will see families here. And kids. Lots of them. If you are looking for an adults-only type resort, this one probably isn't it.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.