Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: US Chair | SPG Life/Plat | Nat'l Exec Elite
I have 5 nights booked for next month.... and was about to buy flights. After reading through recent posts I'm not sure this would be a good destination (eg: bad service, no plat recognition, etc).

Hmmm.... decisions, decisions.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:19 pm

Don't forget..this place have 15 days prior cancellation policy!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:42 pm

I was fortunate to stay here this summer and I really had a great time. I was only there 2 nights, came in late in the evening from Atlanta. We rented a car ( which I would recommend over parking) and drove here. We were upgraded to a nice ocean suite as SPG Platinum.

The lake house and lake is nice and we went kayaking there. The pools are very nice as well as the beach. If you have Free Resort Nights, I would highly recommend it. Fern for breakfast was great every morning.

If on the fence, I would say go for it!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by rgm18
This hotel is awful and not worth the money or points. The service is definitely not up to par. Multiple phone calls to get towels or simple requests. Staff were rude to my family.
The prices for food are insane and the food is nothing special. We drove to Old San Juan a few times for dinner.

The W Vieques is much better as are the Conquistador and the Ritz and El San Juan in San Juan. Save your money/points and go elsewhere!

Zero platinum recognition when I arrived, had to haggle for a slight upgrade.
I'm surprised that they were rude to you. One thing I will say about our stay is that everyone was extremely friendly.

But service is definitely, um, "different." Everything operates more slowly and multiple requests were common for us.

Mike
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:25 pm

I hate to say it, however it appears this hotel is booked solid for the FRN's which means no rooms are available to use the FRN.

I'd be VERY wary of listening to the recent negative posts. It could very well be those who haven't been able to redeem and are hoping to get you to cancel so they can get your room.

Last edited by Jesperss; Sep 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Service was great when I stayed there. We requested the butler to come to our suite to make us some mojitos and he was there within a couple of minutes (although it could be because we tipped him well for the requests we made ). Other hotel staff was also super friendly. Everyone said hello as they walked by us at the resort grounds and even a few of them referred me by name.

I ordered room service and the food arrived promptly. I thought the room service prices were reasonable, especially for a St Regis. I order room service regularly, particularly at Ws, and I found the prices to be lower than many metropolitan Ws.

Check in/out staff was also friendly, and valet brought up my car and had it waiting for me at the entrance without me even having to ask. I guess they were observing when I was at the check out desk.

Some folks forget that high food prices are to be expected at a high end secluded resort. I do, however, have a problem with their $60 per night resort fee plus an additional charge for parking. That's just ridiculous.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:56 pm

let me revise. one specific person was rude. not everyone. most people were very pleasant though didnt do things without being asked many many times...

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm surprised that they were rude to you. One thing I will say about our stay is that everyone was extremely friendly.

But service is definitely, um, "different." Everything operates more slowly and multiple requests were common for us.

Mike
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss
I hate to say it, however it appears this hotel is booked solid for the FRN's which means no rooms are available to use the FRN.

I'd be VERY wary of listening to the recent negative posts. It could very well be those who haven't been able to redeem and are hoping to get you to cancel so they can get your room.
I'll assume that this is a joke.

Mike
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:59 am

I'll assume that this is a joke.

Mike

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17159504-post18.html

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
I have been unable to find standard rooms for any weekend the rest of the year. Makes me think this is either quite a popular weekend destination or that the St Regis Bahia Beach doesnt have a lot of standard rooms. Either way, very disappointing as I was hoping to get some use out of the free resort promo.

And if you're assuming that my comment about people writing bad reviews in order for people to cancel is a joke, you have to remember that this is the same forum where people are threatening to sue for not getting 83k miles for a $3 purchase. I wouldn't anything past some of the people here.

Last edited by Jesperss; Sep 27, 2011 at 11:04 am
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage nothing, Milage Plus nothing
FRN availability

I assume that this is a popular weekend destination in November/December. My wife and I had 3 FRN to use and there was no availability in December weekends (up to the 21st of course) so we are going Sunday-Wednesday instead. That was available so there are at least a few rooms at this location that qualify as standard.
Despite all the mixed reviews we are still excited to go and are heeding the advice to rent a car so we can hit Old San Juan and the grocery store.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I totally agree with the commments re: service. Everyone was SUPER nice, but the service was unbelievably slow. Our room wasn't ready until 5pm when we checked in and it wasn't cleaned until 5pm or later each day and that was only after calling. Coffee in the morning took 45 minutes to an hour and the servers on the beach and the pool only come by once or twice an hour.

That said, this place is totally worth some FRNs and I would not advise someone to cancel based on the slow service. The rooms were fabulous and resort itself is extemely nice. Now, if I were paying the $1000/night for the suite I was in, I would have been very dissappointed.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:13 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Mike
Hey Mike, sadly, your multiple requests & slow service are the norm for Puerto Rico.

I had a conversation with the gm when I stayed at this resort & he stated they were trying to hire younger/eager workers who haven't been mired in the traditional Puerto Rican method of service (slow & have to ask many times), sounds like that the property's approach isn't working too well.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jesperss
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17159504-post18.html

And if you're assuming that my comment about people writing bad reviews in order for people to cancel is a joke, you have to remember that this is the same forum where people are threatening to sue for not getting 83k miles for a $3 purchase. I wouldn't anything past some of the people here.
So because it's hard to get a room night and some people are trying to get extra Verizon points, they're coming here in the hopes that they can write a bad review and hopefully convince somebody to cancel the same weekend that they want to go?

I've heard some weird conspiracy theories, but that tops the cake.

Mike
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:49 pm

Car Rental at the Resort question

We are traveling there next week and I am trying to decide whether to rent a car or not. We will probably only need one 2 days. One for a trip to San Juan and another day for touring the rain forest.

Somewhere I saw where rentals could be arranged while at the resort. Does anyone know if this is correct and what the cost is. With the taxi and valet fees I don't see any need to incur these charges when we could probably arrange our schedule so that we could do the Old San Juan and Rain Forest trips on back to back days thus only incurring one valet fee and 2 days car rental plus of course the round trip to the airport.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United Premier Gold
rent a car. i was able to get a hotwire rate of ~$18 per day. can't go wrong at that price.

Originally Posted by toddreg
We are traveling there next week and I am trying to decide whether to rent a car or not. We will probably only need one 2 days. One for a trip to San Juan and another day for touring the rain forest.

Somewhere I saw where rentals could be arranged while at the resort. Does anyone know if this is correct and what the cost is. With the taxi and valet fees I don't see any need to incur these charges when we could probably arrange our schedule so that we could do the Old San Juan and Rain Forest trips on back to back days thus only incurring one valet fee and 2 days car rental plus of course the round trip to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.