Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
For $500 a night, everything should be impeccable. Everything.
Unfortunately, service issues are par for the course in PR, no matter how nice the property. This is one of the reasons I tend to bypass the higher end properties in PR, and a few other places in the Caribbean for that matter (with a few notable exceptions). After half a dozen stays at the old Westin Rio Mar, I finally learned my lesson and began staying at the more modest properties, which tend to have a better chance of meeting my more modest expectations.

My conclusion is it's simply a different way of life down there than in some other parts of the world. Service is friendly & nice, but slow & sloppy relative to the higher dollars paid.

Cheers,
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I have been going to PR since I was in my early teens and have probably been over 50 times (I sometimes go more than once a year). The people are very nice but the service has always been incompetent. It is not deliberately sloppy, it just is. So, I guess it is a cultural thing. I have vacationed in Asia and everything is perfect. But, when I go to PR, I just have to brace myself for massive incompetence. I know where to set my expectations when I visit. Otherwise, I'd go nuts.
Thanks. I have been wanting to stay there, so if I do, I will keep my expectations lowered.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TrvlGuru
45 minutes to receive a bucket of ice, burned room service pizza, broken water sports equipment, slow "but friendly" service, a beautiful beach spoiled by debris everywhere...... this is what I am experiencing right now at the St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort.

I don't even want to get started on the $60 resort fee....I am still looking for the frozen grapes and ice cold water spritzing by the pool. I guess the iguana that went for a swim across the pool will have to suffice.

Not tremendously impressed...as you probably can tell.
Due to the storm, they ran out of grapes, and the iguanas were your afternoon snack.

Originally Posted by TrvlGuru
A couple of the buildings sustained some water damage. The kids club (Iguana Club) was damaged and closed. They moved the kids club to the Hibiscus conference room which is a 10 - 15 minute walk from the main building. They recommend taking you their by golf cart. Due to the distance, we did not leave our kids there. When we went to see it, it looked like no one else left their kids there either. They are doing their best under the circumstances so I can't fault them on this, but it is disappointing nonetheless as my kids were looking forward to it.
I know that this won't help you, but when we went, the kids' center was one of the highlights of our trip. They were great with our toddlers and had everything from a playground to balloon animals. Couldn't say enough good things about it.

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I have been going to PR since I was in my early teens and have probably been over 50 times (I sometimes go more than once a year). The people are very nice but the service has always been incompetent. It is not deliberately sloppy, it just is. So, I guess it is a cultural thing. I have vacationed in Asia and everything is perfect. But, when I go to PR, I just have to brace myself for massive incompetence. I know where to set my expectations when I visit. Otherwise, I'd go nuts.
That was our experience. Everyone was extraordinarily nice and apologetic when things went wrong, but there was some sloppy service. If/when you go, just remember that you are on vacation.

Mike
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:43 am

How far from airport and how to travel?

What is the best way to get from the airport to St Regis? How long of a drive is it?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by toddreg
What is the best way to get from the airport to St Regis? How long of a drive is it?
Hasn't that already been covered in this thread (many times)?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:41 pm

I would rent a car and drive. Its about 30-45 minutes. Was there this summer came in late and night and we rented a car and drove. Much more reasonable than taking the hotel's transportation which is $160 or $180 each way...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I would rent a car and drive. Its about 30-45 minutes. Was there this summer came in late and night and we rented a car and drove. Much more reasonable than taking the hotel's transportation which is $160 or $180 each way...
I'd agree with renting the car, and I hate renting cars. Just make sure to follow the directions in this thread, since it gets complicated.

Mike
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:33 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
+1 -- my rental car for five days was about $135 (Hertz, with event CPC) and it was great to be able to get off "campus" and do the rainforest, kiosks, etc. Also, I second the reminder about the directions . . .it's the turnoff from 3 that can really throw you.

As an aside, got stuck for 90 minutes in traffic on rt 3 due to a road-wide breathalizer stop at 11pm. Folks at the hotel mentioned that this is a regular occurance on weekend nights so beware -- I recommend considering alternate routes if you're coming in on a later flight on a Fri/Sat night.

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'd agree with renting the car, and I hate renting cars. Just make sure to follow the directions in this thread, since it gets complicated.

Mike
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:44 pm

Room recommendation

Can someone make a standard room recommendation as to location or room number. Don't want to be to far away from stuff and I presume some locations within the resort are better than others.

Is there a refrig in room?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:58 pm

Scuba Diving near the St Regis?

Looks like the best dive sites are a long way away from the St Regis. Does anyone have a reference for one that is more easily accessable from the St Regis.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Can someone make a standard room recommendation as to location or room number. Don't want to be to far away from stuff and I presume some locations within the resort are better than others.

Is there a refrig in room?
LOL. As I intimated above, have you read the thread first?

You first asked about the driving directions/ways to get to resort above. I would say posts regarding this topic are probably about 15% of the thread posts, no?

Haven't these additional questions also been addressed?

Very
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:48 am

Dude

I have now read the entire thread and do not recall this specific question being addressed as to which building is preferred from a convenience and noise standpoint. You had a valid point on the directions question but are being a little harsh on this one.

Would it not have been easier for you to post an answer rather than a scolding. You apparently are a Bahia resident expert so I would be very open to any pointers etc. you have that would make our first trip there more enjoyable.

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I stayed in building 7, which is a bit of a walk to the main building, but it had a somewhat secluded feel to it and was close to the beach. Buildings in-between were further removed from the water (with much less of a view). Building 7 is also a very close (via a walk on the beach) to the pool. So as long as you're not traveling to the main lodge (or to your rental car) too often, I'd highly recommend it.

As for a frig in the room, I had a suite, so I can't comment on standard rooms...but there was a Sub Zero mini-frig in my room. It had items in it for sale, but there was enough room for me to add some booze & soda. A quick call to the hotel should clear up this question, though.

If you want more info on my trip there, here's my trip report
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:33 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Looks like the best dive sites are a long way away from the St Regis. Does anyone have a reference for one that is more easily accessable from the St Regis.
If diving is the primary goal of your trip, I highly recommend staying on the SW or W side of the island (Horned Dorsett www.horneddorset.com in Rincon or Copamarina www.copamarina.com in Guanica).

The diving I did on the SW & W side of the island was wonderful. On my first visit to PR I had thought about diving on the N/NE side of the island but every person who knew about PR diving suggested not too as the other sites are so much better.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:01 am

This hotel is awful and not worth the money or points. The service is definitely not up to par. Multiple phone calls to get towels or simple requests. Staff were rude to my family.
The prices for food are insane and the food is nothing special. We drove to Old San Juan a few times for dinner.

The W Vieques is much better as are the Conquistador and the Ritz and El San Juan in San Juan. Save your money/points and go elsewhere!

Zero platinum recognition when I arrived, had to haggle for a slight upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.