Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
We used the transportation service at the Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel & Towers to get to the Al Maha and plan to use Al Maha's transportation service to go from the Al Maha to the airport (DXB). The driver had been here before so he did not get lost.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thank you!!! Do you mind sharing how you got to the resort/how you'll leave? I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm at the Ritz Ras Al beforehand and going to the PH afterwards.

Would love it if you could share anything else that may be helpful.
These guys are fairly competitive for transportation. $55 from airport to Al Maha.

https://airportstaxitransfers.com/tr...-Dubai-Airport

Is anyone tipping their field guide?
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl
These guys are fairly competitive for transportation. $55 from airport to Al Maha.

https://airportstaxitransfers.com/tr...-Dubai-Airport

Is anyone tipping their field guide?
No, and I don't see why it is needed since officially there is a 15% service charge included in all charges. The same for the restaurants/room delivery - never tipped any of them. I guess unless you have the very 'American' urge to tip - it is up to your discretion.

Cheers!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:23 pm

Ok,so since occupants is covered by CC there's nothing I need worry about .How's the traffic order in Dubai?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zol
Its mandatory by law to have 3rd party insurance cover. Its cover for the vehicle you rent and the occupants that is optional
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:55 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Ok,so since occupants is covered by CC there's nothing I need worry about .How's the traffic order in Dubai?

Thanks!
Like any major city, can be busy at peak periods and light at off-peak. Around the Al Maha resort and surrounding areas there is virtually no traffic. What is your route?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Accor, CX, BA
bad news ...

i made my Al Maha booking with the point advance function at 60k points + 20AED.
After they modified by schemee, my booking was change to 85k points + 20AED.

Are they allowed to do that?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcl0203
bad news ...

i made my Al Maha booking with the point advance function at 60k points + 20AED.
After they modified by schemee, my booking was change to 85k points + 20AED.

Are they allowed to do that?
That is normal. Even for people who booked and paid with points, the reservation will now show 85K pts.

There was was a lot of discussion as to whether or not Marriott would honour PA rates for hotels whose category increased. I believe they said yes, but who knows. You will have to call in when you want to apply your points.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just completed a 5 night stay and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Arrived late one night and was assigned a king bed Bedouin suite facing the watering hole. I forgot to change my reservation to 2 beds when my friend decided to join me. King bed was immense but thought I’d ask for a suite with 2 beds. I was upgraded to an 1800 sq ft Royal Suite for the final 2 nights. It’s basically 2 identical Bedouin Suites (one with a king, one with 2 singles) with an extra foyer and living room joining them. Wonderful!

The food in the restaurant was outstanding. After the first day, I was offered a vegetarian menu and a healthy eating menu every meal. My friend who is not a vegetarian, raved about the Wagu beef, lobster, prawns, etc.

We took full advantage of the activities by booking 2 every day. On top of that, we took a yoga class, used the gym, did a private tour of the camel farm and did a dune bashing drive (loads of fun). We loved our field guide, Nathan.

(For those who are concerned about animal welfare, the camels seem to be well treated. They are housed in large, clean outdoor pens with shelter from the sun and are bathed every other day. The males and females are segregated and the dominant males are kept in separate pens even though they are all next to each other. These are retired racing camels and many bear barbaric branding and other scars from their previous life but no fresh wounds. They weren’t wearing the nose covers that they wear out in public and many of them gently nuzzled my hand when I reached into the pens. The camel jockey used a floppy piece of black plastic tubing to guide the camels (no sticks or bull hooks). There was even a 2 yr old baby at the farm as one of the female camels arrived pregnant.)

The resort pools are all kept at 31C so very warm for swimming. When we weren’t eating or doing an activity, we did some walking around the property or out to the watering hole, and just enjoyed relaxing by our pool.

Note that the evenings can be quite cool (12-14C) so make sure you bring something warm to wear.

I don’t have a single criticism of this wonderful property or its staff, and it was an absolute steal at 60K pts/night.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

That is normal. Even for people who booked and paid with points, the reservation will now show 85K pts.

There was was a lot of discussion as to whether or not Marriott would honour PA rates for hotels whose category increased. I believe they said yes, but who knows. You will have to call in when you want to apply your points.
i was being told i need to get 85k before I can do the point redemption.

They will firstly deduct 85k points and return 25k to my account afterwards. i.e. I cannot confirm my booking with 60k points only
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i was being told i need to get 85k before I can do the point redemption.

They will firstly deduct 85k points and return 25k to my account afterwards. i.e. I cannot confirm my booking with 60k points only
That is not how normally done.

The normal way handling PA booking is to add the point difference into your account and IMMEDIATELY issue the eCert on the same call.

You should do the HUCA thing and keep calling until you find a competent rep / supervisor knows how to do it.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
That is not how normally done.

The normal way handling PA booking is to add the point difference into your account and IMMEDIATELY issue the eCert on the same call.

You should do the HUCA thing and keep calling until you find a competent rep / supervisor knows how to do it.
Thank you.

i just called again and the call was handled by another person
he was able to proceed the booking and the eCert was just issued.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:17 pm

arrive Dubai Airport at midnight and drive to AI Maha, there's no toll road, right?

the activity is reserved when I check in, right? or should I email them in advance?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zol
Like any major city, can be busy at peak periods and light at off-peak. Around the Al Maha resort and surrounding areas there is virtually no traffic. What is your route?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecgz88
arrive Dubai Airport at midnight and drive to AI Maha, there's no toll road, right?

the activity is reserved when I check in, right? or should I email them in advance?

Thanks!
No toll roads.

I think there are 7 included activities. You have to choose which one you want to do, so if you want to do a 06:30 activity, you should email them. Archery is midday.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.

i just called again and the call was handled by another person
he was able to proceed the booking and the eCert was just issued.
Thank you for reporting back. It is unfortunately you have to call back but at least now you get it done properly.

I know it is very frustrating that many CS reps are ill-informed, not properly trained. However we as the customers, armed with the knowledge. would know what is right what is wrong and need to stand up to protect ourselves.

Enjoy the stay.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:22 pm

I called in March 4 to complete the reservation for 240,000 points but due to one issue or another, the points were never deducted from my account. The CSR insisted everything was good and the e-cert was issued. I called back once a day for the next 3 days and all CSR said everything was good but I knew it wasn’t since no points were deducted.

Finally reached a competent CSR who added the 100,000 points needed to complete the reservation and the points were deducted immediately. He also added 10,000 points as a goodwill gesture.

Answer is HUCA many times.
Happy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.