Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s actually quite far. It’s probably 10-15min of cruising through dunes before you even get to the highway.
​​​​​​

From what I've read, I believe it's 45 minutes to an hour. I wouldn't say that's prohibitively far if you get a rental car. I've driven that far to get dinner and a lot of people spend more than that on their daily commute to work. Is length of commute the only reason people recommend not taking day trips to Dubai?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:54 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Darksun
​​​​​​

From what I've read, I believe it's 45 minutes to an hour. I wouldn't say that's prohibitively far if you get a rental car. I've driven that far to get dinner and a lot of people spend more than that on their daily commute to work. Is length of commute the only reason people recommend not taking day trips to Dubai?
That’s not really the point though. If you’re at Al Maha it’s to enjoy the facilities, being far from everything, food and service.

If one’s goal is to visit Dubai they just stay one night less at Al Maha and stay at one of the numerous properties you can get for 200-400 AED a night.

Plus the time assumes your car is parked at the resort and note the gate - if it’s at the gate then you’d need to add time for your ranger to drive you to the gate. Honestly it’s doable but pretty stupid.
Happy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Heads up to anyone with a Points Advance booking here...you're gonna want to finalize your booking before March 5th otherwise you'll have to pay the new Cat 8 rate.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Darksun
​​​​​​

If wanting to see things in the city of Dubai, then just better to stay in the city on the days/nights when doing things in the city and spending the Al-Maha time doing/using what the resort offers without going into the city. The commute back and forth just for a day trip may be ok, but if the plan ends up being or is to do multiple day trips into the city, I would just stay in the city.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do echo what the others have pointed out about using Al Maha as base to explore or get into Dubai
- it's a waste of time
- traffic into the city and out can be a nightmare based on the different hours of the day

I would just divide the stay into 2 - staying at Al Maha and the rest for the city. Even with your own car, it is not the most convenient thing to do. The only maybe logical one is if you want to do a few hours at some of malls on the outskirt of the center - like the Outlet Fashion Mall or the Dragon mall. Even for this I would still think it is a waste to drive in/out of Al Maha since it does take some time just to get back onto the tar roads.

Cheers!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:35 am

I am not sure I agree with your logic. The OP said that they would extend their stay from 3 to 5 nights, so I would assume that they would go into Dubai for two of their days. If they instead spent those two nights in a Dubai hotel at an equivalent level hotel, they would be spending an additional 60,000 Marriott points, ttpically valued at about 0.7 cents each, or equivalent to $420. They would also be buying breakfast and dinner, so for two people, maybe $200/day, so $400, making the total equivalent outlay roughly $820. That is decent pay for 4 hours of driving.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I am not sure I agree with your logic. The OP said that they would extend their stay from 3 to 5 nights, so I would assume that they would go into Dubai for two of their days. If they instead spent those two nights in a Dubai hotel at an equivalent level hotel, they would be spending an additional 60,000 Marriott points, ttpically valued at about 0.7 cents each, or equivalent to $420. They would also be buying breakfast and dinner, so for two people, maybe $200/day, so $400, making the total equivalent outlay roughly $820. That is decent pay for 4 hours of driving.
i've stayed at this property twice & i also travel to dubai about a dozen times a year so am quite familiar with both the city & the resort....i would definitely not want to use the al maha as a base for exploring dubai....there are many good cat 5 properties in dubai (the grosvenor house would be a great example & in my opinion one of the best cat 5 properties in the world) which would cost 35k points per night....breakfast would be included in the rate & i would not restrict myself to dinner at the hotel when in dubai....there are many great places to eat, which i'm sure the op would end up doing in any case if they came into the city....so the extra cost of staying in dubai would only be 10k points, saving them the 4+ hours they would spend on the road....

the al maha is not the type of place i would use to just come back & sleep at night....the charm of the resort is to spend time in it....3 nights is more than enough for this place....
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG platinum, HHonors Diamond
I am intended to book this hotel before March 5th. The problem is that we have two kids. Does anybody know about whether the hotel will accommodate a family of 4 in one room? I called the hotel and they said the maximum can stay in one room is 3 persons. It seems odd not allowing a family to stay together.
Anybody get similar experience? Much appreciated!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by RebeccaC
I am intended to book this hotel before March 5th. The problem is that we have two kids. Does anybody know about whether the hotel will accommodate a family of 4 in one room? I called the hotel and they said the maximum can stay in one room is 3 persons. It seems odd not allowing a family to stay together.
they won’t put more than 2 in a room and the age limit is 10 years or older. We went with our two teens and it was great. Had to get two rooms.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:23 am

The (2 bedroom) Royal Suite and Emirates Suite fit 4 people. The (3 bedroom) Presidential Suite fits 6 people. Unfortunately they are not available for award redemptions.You would either need to book 2 Bedouin Suites with points or pay the cash rate for one of the larger 2-3 bedroom suites. Also, you don't mention their age, but children under 10 are not allowed at Al Maha.

The rates listed on the Marriott website (cash and award) are for 2 adults. Additional people in each room will cost 1600 AED (~435 USD) per night.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Lobonomnom
The (2 bedroom) Royal Suite and Emirates Suite fit 4 people. The (3 bedroom) Presidential Suite fits 6 people. Unfortunately they are not available for award redemptions.You would either need to book 2 Bedouin Suites with points or pay the cash rate for one of the larger 2-3 bedroom suites. Also, you don't mention their age, but children under 10 are not allowed at Al Maha.

The rates listed on the Marriott website (cash and award) are for 2 adults. Additional people in each room will cost 1600 AED (~435 USD) per night.
Thanks a lot for the information. I will have to get for two rooms then.... Can we book for two rooms but stay in one room?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dcht
Can you recall the prices for the still water? My wife and I don't really drink a lot and would likely just get water at dinner... but if it's $10 for a water then I might as well get a beer.
I just stayed there a few nights with a close friend and was never charged once for still water in the restaurant (which came out of a large, sealed Al Ain brand plastic bottle - they leave a few large and medium sized bottles of this brand in your room daily). Sparkling water was chargeable, though.

You can also order to your suite. The setup in the suite is quite amazing, it's like they bring the full restaurant setup to you. A lifesaver our first night, to just order off a menu and it all shows up perfectly shortly after.

Originally Posted by Only1BD
Hi all. I've booked for two nights in September with my partner...same sex. We are both VERY respectful of local customs where ever we travel and have obviously booked twin beds. Anyone in a similar situation been, and were you treated as a normal guest and made to feel comfortable, or was it an experience to be forgotten?
I went with my gay BFF as my BF was unavailable. Met some other MR Plats from the US who could tell my friend was gay and it even came up in lighthearted conversation.

Not sure whether the local staff could tell or not. Either way, the staff was insanely gracious and so nice to us - consistently. He and I slept in 1 king bed and no one batted an eye.

I would not be worried at all. It is a luxury resort and the GM is Dutch and quite available in the lobby. He's a very nice gentleman and the staff emulate his luxe professionalism.

Originally Posted by bailey911
If I can remember it right it was still 18 AED, sparkling was 31 AED for a large bottle, soft drinks were 27 AED. The cheapest beer was Stella, I believe at 49 AED.
I wasn't charged for still once. 31 is correct for sparkling, as is 27 for diet cokes. A Peroni was the 500 mL on draft and it was 49 AED.

The avocado smoothie is so good and all the juices/smoothies are included during breakfast - no extra charge. Try them all as they are wonderful.

Other pro tip for food: We met the Executive Chef and he is formerly from the Burj Al Arab. He is a true professional and the food was excellent. We also met the F&B Director - also super professional, super nice, super hospitable. Everyone who works there, including management, love the guests and are happy to speak to you.

I have some Middle Eastern descent and asked the Chef if he could make a local specialty for our last day's lunch - the Chef went above and beyond and made a 5 course lunch including handmade local desserts. It was stunning and delicious and all the guests were super envious of our clearly-not-off-the-menu food spread at lunch that day.

Finally, you can order more than 1 appetizer or more than 1 dessert. We were never charged for the extras [but we offered to pay every time; we also slept through at least 1 meal service one night]. Then again, we had one of the original/best Guest Relations Coordinators, and she commented at the end that the staff appreciated that we treated them very nicely, too, and they knew us both by name and not just suite number.

Thanks a lot for the information. I will have to get for two rooms then.... Can we book for two rooms but stay in one room?
Yes. They don't care where you actually sleep, especially given most of the suites are secluded. You can let a family of gazelles sleep in your other suite - one of the babies almost wandered in our front door the first night when they were setting up the room service dinner! :P

This hotel is the experience of a lifetime. Don't think about it or worry about anything - just book and go. You will love it. And I am not easily impressed.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I find it strange to only look at the so-called value, rather than a far more logical AND comfortable way to explore / enjoy a new place.

It does not make any sense to use Al Maha as a base to explore Dubai other than the perception on "getting the $ value" more than the 0.07c per point obsession.

The dirve back and forth is NOT practical even with your own rental car.

Inside Dubai high end properties are not expensive whehter by $ or by points even if one's "priority" of a trip to a new place is somewhat twisted, staying at Dubai for the 2 days to explore / enjoy Dubai would not break the budget.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
One other thing. I was surprised by how well the AC worked in the suite we had.

I went when temps were in the 80s max in fahrenheit, but thats still warm for me.

Setting the AC to 16C and cranking the fan to max actually made the room ice cold and I had to turn the fan down and the temp up a bit!

But even stuck in your suite, the view and pool are gorgeous.

Lots of European hotels could learn from Al MAHA - if they can build strong AC systems in the middle of a desert, European hotel agents need to stop excusing their crappy AC systems that barely work.
Buster CT1K and Happy like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Lots of European hotels could learn from Al MAHA - if they can build strong AC systems in the middle of a desert, European hotel agents need to stop excusing their crappy AC systems that barely work.
Europeans are not that keen on ice cold hotel rooms. So why should a hotel with an anual average of 90% European guests invest for the few who love to sit in a refrigerator? Our climate is modest, we do not see minus 40 in winter and plus 50 in summer, so we have AC for a modest climate. Al Maha is different, they need AC anyway and they need aircon that can deal with 45° C outside - something we hardly see in Europe,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.