Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How are the spa prices at this resort? Any Plat discounts?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
How accommodating has this place been for early check-ins/late check-outs? Say for instance I wanted to arrive at noon on check-in day and leave in the evening on check-out day (flight back home is 2am from DXB). I'm Marriott Plat.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
We arrived at 1pm and the room wasn't ready until around 2:30pm. I didn't push the issue as they said we were upgraded to one of their best rooms (which turned out to be the case, we were delighted with how secluded it was) so we were happy to wait.

For late check outs they seemed extremely reluctant, although I didn't request one. I suggest not counting on it. As I was corrected earlier they are not obliged to provide late check out to platinums.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:32 am

Few questions regarding the timing of meals and activities. Check in as at 2pm - will we get lunch on this day? Same thing for check out - will we get lunch on this day?

We'll be staying for 2 nights so I'm wondering when our 4 activities would be? 1 on day 1, 2 on day 2, and 1 on day 3?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:37 am

Meals - you choose whether to have lunch either on the check-in day, or check-out day.

Activities - I think you can time them as you wish subject to the activities timetable and the overall number of activities per stay.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:23 am

Anyone notice that many reward nights are only available for twin rooms not king? Any chance the hotel can change this upon check in?

Also so interestingly the hotel has started to offer two cash rates, one for full board and one without full board. This may be to allow the property to charge for full board on award stays in the future.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:06 am

Yes, I noticed only twin beds available when booking with points during high season (even when kings are available for the same price), however, not the case during low season, when king rooms are available for points. That means that both are standard rooms, so they are again violating Marriott's rules, but not nearly as egregiously as previously. I have put a note on our reservation requesting a king room, but if we end up with twins, so be it.
milehighflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by dcht
Few questions regarding the timing of meals and activities. Check in as at 2pm - will we get lunch on this day? Same thing for check out - will we get lunch on this day?

We'll be staying for 2 nights so I'm wondering when our 4 activities would be? 1 on day 1, 2 on day 2, and 1 on day 3?
When I visited them last august, they quite generous about the meals. Arriving at 7AM they already have the room ready and they also invite me to join the breakfast at the restaurant.
Granted I'm staying there as solo traveller (no discount for being 1 person )
They also granted me a 4pm check out but unfortunately I need to leave the resort at 2 pm(booked a transfer for 2 pm).
The FD suggest that I could check out earlier .. like 1 pm and then have the lunch while waiting for the car to arrive.
Which I did.

The FD also said that since the rate is supposedly for 2 peoples, I could order two courses at the restaurans for breakfast lunch and dinner.
The meal portion are generous, so I dont think I can survive eating double meal there

Activities, some activities are flexible so you can book 2 activities back to back if needed.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:46 am

I need to travel to the property from Abu Dhabi, and after my stay, travel to Dubai.

Any advice on how to do this in a cost effective manner? I assume I’ll have to hire a car for the trip to Dubai (I assume there won’t be taxis at the Al Maha)? But perhaps I can take a taxi from Abu Dhabi?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by dcht

Just finished a stay there. I checked in at 1:30PM. The room was ready and they said we could have lunch at restaurant or at room. Decided on room day 1. They offered activities that day too though most started in the AM. We did the nature drive at 3:45 and came back just in time for sundowner at 5PM.

On check out day I arranged a taxi from dubai to pick up and the hotel was proactive in calling the driver to confirm. I did not want to push the check out too much past 12 so we left the room at 12:45 and checked out. After check out the hotel offered lunch. Driver arrived at 2PM so that worked out. Once you check out they seemed flexible what time you left and offered all the amenities for that day. Said if the driver did not come they would arrange hotel transport and we could use the spa until time to leave.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
How are the prices for wine and cocktails during happy hour? Is it buy one, get one free? I'm not a beer drinker.
Happy hour is 6-8PM upstairs, buy one get one free. You can have the drinks during dinner downstairs - which is a 5 course affair that seemed to take us 2 hours to get through.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
How are the spa prices at this resort? Any Plat discounts?
The wife got a 1 hour massage for 400 Dhirhams which I thought was reasonable. Was not offered a Plat discount.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Yes, I noticed only twin beds available when booking with points during high season (even when kings are available for the same price), however, not the case during low season, when king rooms are available for points. That means that both are standard rooms, so they are again violating Marriott's rules, but not nearly as egregiously as previously. I have put a note on our reservation requesting a king room, but if we end up with twins, so be it.
I’m not the only one that has noticed they are again violating Marriotts rules! We need some strict rules on the definition of a standard room available for award bookings.

Ive seen other hotels like the St Regis Maldives use breakfast to remove standard rooms from award inventory. Every property should be forced to have a certain amount of rooms available. Particularly after peak season pricing is implemented.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bailey911
Happy hour is 6-8PM upstairs, buy one get one free. You can have the drinks during dinner downstairs - which is a 5 course affair that seemed to take us 2 hours to get through.
I guess I missed you by a day, as I checked out on the 3rd (though I did have lunch). I hope you had a good time as that was the day where the place was hit by the minor sandstorm and rain which cooled things down a bit. Luckily my previous day I already enjoyed the heat and the pool. How were the activities on that day?

As for the drinks, I am not sure, but on my 2nd night I did the same, I took my 2nd glass of wine down for dinner, and no one really said anything - so not sure if this is ok or they just kept silence for the sake of not nitpicking.
Prices were as expected on the higher side, I believe the cheapest red wine by the glass was about 58 AED - which for me the Merlot was to my taste.

I will write a more detailed report later, but I will surely be returning next year again for another round - hopefully nothing changes much from current offerings - which I found to be more than sufficient.
My only surprised was the number of Chinese/Korean tourists at the property.

Cheers!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I guess I missed you by a day, as I checked out on the 3rd (though I did have lunch). I hope you had a good time as that was the day where the place was hit by the minor sandstorm and rain which cooled things down a bit. Luckily my previous day I already enjoyed the heat and the pool. How were the activities on that day?

As for the drinks, I am not sure, but on my 2nd night I did the same, I took my 2nd glass of wine down for dinner, and no one really said anything - so not sure if this is ok or they just kept silence for the sake of not nitpicking.
Prices were as expected on the higher side, I believe the cheapest red wine by the glass was about 58 AED - which for me the Merlot was to my taste.

I will write a more detailed report later, but I will surely be returning next year again for another round - hopefully nothing changes much from current offerings - which I found to be more than sufficient.
My only surprised was the number of Chinese/Korean tourists at the property.

Cheers!
In my case on night 2 I asked downstairs when we seated for dinner about the happy hour before 8PM they said you have to order upstairs and then they will send it down. When I was walking up the steps to the bar I noticed a waiter was carrying drinks down. When I got back I saw a few tables around me had done the happy hour in the restaurant thing. They brought my 2nd wine right after the changing light palate cleanser course. I did beer on night 3 and I think the large peroni was 71 AED but its like a pint so 2 pints for 71 AED. One other thing I noticed is when you order drinks they give you free water from a pitcher instead of charging you for the still or sparking.

We were told by our guide that about 80% of the guests there have been chinese for some time now. They get large groups of them.

We did all the activities except the archery

We had a amazing time too and will be back some day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.