Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PS
I dont think foods are a la carte, but more like a meal plan you purchase. The property is available thru a lot of selling agents in Chinese market, on sites like Taobao and the like, pricing is in components.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by IrishStephen
Spoke to hotel who advised all bookings with confirmation of food and beverage included are indeed included but the new points rate seems to be Room Only. Shame really but it must be the trade off of the extra few months to book at lower rate and hotel is quoting Marriott Migration however hard to see why thats the case. Its a great property however and I would recommend very highly.
When did the Marriott migration happen? Was it back in August when the new combined program was announced or in December when two booking systems mergered? I made my reservation in November
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by Tonyliulu

When did the Marriott migration happen? Was it back in August when the new combined program was announced or in December when two booking systems mergered? I made my reservation in November
They had a system migration to the Marriott system about 11 days ago. I was in fact just leaving the hotel was taking place so I can confirm it was happening. It was moving the hotel and all the hotels in Dubai it seemed to the Marriott reservation system.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:30 am

Now I'm really conflicted if its worth going there for 5 nights. The notes about subpar food is disappointing as outside of staring at the desert from the pool for five days all you do is eat.. I do have a reservation under the old booking system..
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
They had a system migration to the Marriott system about 11 days ago. I was in fact just leaving the hotel was taking place so I can confirm it was happening. It was moving the hotel and all the hotels in Dubai it seemed to the Marriott reservation system.
Migration to Marriott platform was based on brand, not location.

FIRST ROUND – SEPTEMBER 18
  • Some Four Points by Sheraton
SECOND ROUND – EARLY OCTOBER
  • Remaining Four Points by Sheraton properties
  • Tribute Portfolio properties
THIRD ROUND – END OF OCTOBER
  • Sheraton Properties
FOURTH ROUND – END OF NOVEMBER
  • Westin Properties
  • Le Meriden Properties
  • W Hotels
FIFTH ROUND – DECEMBER 11
  • Luxury Collections Properties
  • St. Regis Properties
  • Aloft Properties
  • Element Properties
IrishStephen and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Now I'm really conflicted if its worth going there for 5 nights. The notes about subpar food is disappointing as outside of staring at the desert from the pool for five days all you do is eat.. I do have a reservation under the old booking system..
I enjoyed the food when there recently and found it while not up to the same standard as my previous trip still to be high. The property did indicate they were going working on the food side of things a bit more. It is well worth a visit and I look forward to returning later this year.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:39 am

I think 5 nights is overkill. Maybe 2-3 at most. The food gets a little samey after a while since you are having all three meals in the same restaurant.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:10 am

Well it seems like the decision has been made for me... I had two reservations one that I made a month prior (under the old all inclusive) and one I made last week (no all inclusive), I made these as they were only one night apart and I was trying to finalize my flight and cancel the one that I didn't need. After reading about how the new bookings no longer have all inclusive I went ahead and cancelled my 2nd reservation............but it turns out I mistakenly cancelled my first one (all inclusive)............I had two tabs open and didn't immediately realize which one was which.......I called Marriott immediately since I realized the dates on the cancellation were the ones I wanted.....The agent was able to rebook me with award points but not all inclusive, they sent a note to the front desk which responded later that day and they won't be extending any courtesy or willing to reinstate my all inclusive package. I guess lesson learned, for something I was planning for months this truly turned out to be a significant disappointment.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it seems like the decision has been made for me... I had two reservations one that I made a month prior (under the old all inclusive) and one I made last week (no all inclusive), I made these as they were only one night apart and I was trying to finalize my flight and cancel the one that I didn't need. After reading about how the new bookings no longer have all inclusive I went ahead and cancelled my 2nd reservation............but it turns out I mistakenly cancelled my first one (all inclusive)............I had two tabs open and didn't immediately realize which one was which.......I called Marriott immediately since I realized the dates on the cancellation were the ones I wanted.....The agent was able to rebook me with award points but not all inclusive, they sent a note to the front desk which responded later that day and they won't be extending any courtesy or willing to reinstate my all inclusive package. I guess lesson learned, for something I was planning for months this truly turned out to be a significant disappointment.
Wow, that's too bad. Someone had a very similar thing happen just a few days ago (different hotel).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...rong-stay.html

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I made a points advance reservation for this hotel about 5 days ago (for next Thanksgiving). I'm assuming that I'm going to be subject to the Room Only rate, and not get the all-inclusive package? As a Plat, I would at least still get free breakfast, right?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:43 am

My reservation suddenly cash instead of points in app. I called and rep said looks like cash the whole time. However, my confirmation does say points. Rep called hotel and hotel confirmed it’s points (says system merge makes everything wonky). Hotel also said breakfast and dinner included but did not mention activities so I’m not sure if I’m getting the all inclusive rate or not. This reservation was made November 20
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
Checked a few random dates in 2019 and that's indeed the rate plan description for Redemption now.
Yeah, throws my plans for a loop. Was hoping to book this for a vacation later this spring using my Ritz certs. Not worth going here and burning the certs if it's room only.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I made a points advance reservation for this hotel about 5 days ago (for next Thanksgiving). I'm assuming that I'm going to be subject to the Room Only rate, and not get the all-inclusive package? As a Plat, I would at least still get free breakfast, right?
Correct. You should be able to pull up the Rate Details and see what are stating there. Plat still has free breakfast, confirmed by a friend who is in similar situation though she decides not to go.

My speculation is, hotel feels the flood of redemption which they DONT get proper reimbursement from Marriott Reward, probably not even enough to cover the food cost as it is the variables they have to cover while the fixed of the room cost is low i.e. only maintenance - because if they have 95% occupancy, they will get FULL rack rate reimbursement from Marriott on redemption. I cannot envision this resort would ever get to 95% and above occupancy... That is the rub, and the reason behind cutting the full board from redemption, as well as now charging fees on some activities.

The quality on the foods goes down also is the direct result of the point redemption. Bet they now have seen multiple times of point redemption than in the past when it was under SPG (they did reduced level multiple times in the past, but still twice or thrice of what it is now essentially is only 20K or 30K SPG pts.)

I am glad the current changes have made the decision for me as it has been the foods that attract me to this property, not its surrounding, and only a little bit of the activities but not the now chargeable sand blast. So now I dont need to figure out how to incorporate Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi together given the current ongoing embargo. However I feel bad for those have high hope on their trips then meet with this reality.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tajee165
My reservation suddenly cash instead of points in app. I called and rep said looks like cash the whole time. However, my confirmation does say points. Rep called hotel and hotel confirmed it’s points (says system merge makes everything wonky). Hotel also said breakfast and dinner included but did not mention activities so I’m not sure if I’m getting the all inclusive rate or not. This reservation was made November 20
i would email the hotel to get a WRITTEN confirmation on everything, laid out as 1) 2) 3) format just to cover yourself if you intend to go.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tajee165
Odd that this is happening now. Go back a few pages. It happened to quite a few people on Dec 11 when Luxury Collection moved to the Marriott platform. Nothing to worry about. Hotel is aware. I just looked at my reservation, and it is back to a points reservation again. Unless your reservation is in the next couple of weeks, I'd just wait it out. It should fix itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.