Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
This! Book one suits your need or use points / SNA to upgrade one if you want a guarantee. You should not plan your travel based on what the possible upgrades you may get because upgrade without paying, is never guaranteed.
I totally get it now. I was just confused why my on-line account was showing me an upgraded room from weeks prior to the stay all the way up until check-in.

Maybe I am the only one to think to believe what is shown to me in my account reservation is what is to be realized. I understand the ins and outs now.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
Stayed here last week for free using a Ritz Visa free night.

I would say the value here is around 70k points or $700 a night. Whereas actual is 60k points (85k on JAN 1st) and around $1500 a night.

That is considering you can get a Marriott in Dubai for low $100s, a JW Marriott for $150, and a Ritz for $250 a night. This is a desert conservatory however, which is unique, and also taken into consideration along with being in a suite, private mini pool, and the basic activities and meals.
Yes, I think the 'actual' value is more like $500-700/night.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tonyliulu
I just checked marriots website and the rate details for points redemption actually says room only and meals to be paid directly to the resort. Can someone confirm this?
I've made two bookings on points this week, and I can't see in either of my reservations or rate details that it says room only. Where are you seeing this? Can you take a screenshot?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:29 pm

It will not show on your reservation or email confirmation but if you go on marriott's website, do a new search for this property on points and click on the rate details

Rate Details

Redemption

Additional Information

• ROOM ONLY REDEMPTION STAY
  • Rate eligible for 02 adults only. 3rd adult and children 10
  • years and above will be charged at AED1600 per night subject to
  • applicable taxes
  • Meals, activities and other incidentals are to be paid directly
  • at property.
  • For detailed information regarding property category level
  • and other Marriott Reward information please visit the
  • property online at www.marriott.com and click on Marriott
  • Rewards.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Maybe I am the only one to think to believe what is shown to me in my account reservation is what is to be realized. I understand the ins and outs now.
Maybe it is most prudent to expect exactly the room type that you booked, rather than what other room type may appear online but is not in any way guaranteed.

Getting anything better than you booked is icing on the cake. But if you only book a slice, you are only entitled to a slice—not two slices, not three, and certainly not the whole cake.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tonyliulu
It will not show on your reservation or email confirmation but if you go on marriott's website, do a new search for this property on points and click on the rate details

Rate Details

Redemption

Additional Information

• ROOM ONLY REDEMPTION STAY
  • Rate eligible for 02 adults only. 3rd adult and children 10
  • years and above will be charged at AED1600 per night subject to
  • applicable taxes
  • Meals, activities and other incidentals are to be paid directly
  • at property.
  • For detailed information regarding property category level
  • and other Marriott Reward information please visit the
  • property online at www.marriott.com and click on Marriott
  • Rewards.
That's disappointing. Does that mean redemption prior to system conversion was all inclusive, as confirmed by multiple FTers, while it is room only now.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Very disappointing with this move.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked a few random dates in 2019 and that's indeed the rate plan description for Redemption now. I wonder if pre-migration redemption bookings will be honored as all-inclusive?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Checked a few random dates in 2019 and that's indeed the rate plan description for Redemption now. I wonder if pre-migration redemption bookings will be honored as all-inclusive?
Spoke to hotel who advised all bookings with confirmation of food and beverage included are indeed included but the new points rate seems to be Room Only. Shame really but it must be the trade off of the extra few months to book at lower rate and hotel is quoting Marriott Migration however hard to see why thats the case. Its a great property however and I would recommend very highly.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:00 am

Damn, I think my booking is screwed now. I called SPG support on Dec 12 when my original redemption shows paid rate. The lady cancelled my old reservation and made a new one which is natively in Marriott platform. Now the rate details shows Room Only.

That sucks, now I have to write up a long email to the hotel, explaining all the history.

I am just tired of keep fighting for things that you are supposed to have! This year I probably had spend 10+ hours with Marriott on these non-necessary things!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tonywush
Damn, I think my booking is screwed now. I called SPG support on Dec 12 when my original redemption shows paid rate. The lady cancelled my old reservation and made a new one which is natively in Marriott platform. Now the rate details shows Room Only.

That sucks, now I have to write up a long email to the hotel, explaining all the history.

I am just tired of keep fighting for things that you are supposed to have! This year I probably had spend 10+ hours with Marriott on these non-necessary things!
Yes, it’s unfortunate that these slips and IT fails happen.

OTOTH, it’s pretty amazing for all of us that we can use a mere 60K points to stay at such an expensive and incredible property like Al Maha—with or without full room and board. That same 60K points award rate—which we know really should and eventually will be 85-100K points—is only available now due to the same IT complexities that also have allowed so many slips and fails.

So maybe not quite so tired? No one is forced to stick with Marriott if it all seems too much to handle.

It helps to have perspective.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I totally get it now. I was just confused why my on-line account was showing me an upgraded room from weeks prior to the stay all the way up until check-in.

You can say we all learned this lesson from our experiences. And it is not Marriott program alone. All hotel programs act the similar way with very rare exception - if the hotels can sell the upgrade room at cash rate, they will do so and "take" it away from you.
The important thing is dont count on the upgrade and treat it a pleasant surprise if it happens.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Yes, I think the 'actual' value is more like $500-700/night.
I am sad to read about the foods being mediocre. The foods are the reasons I think about going as I am well aware of the other shortcomings you pointed out. No way I would pay the old SPG price but at 60K I might give it a try. Now if the foods are not up to the "standard" being raved about, there is no reason to make the trip.

Could it be due to the recent flood of point stays that have caused the deterioration in quality?

I tend to agree with you and WorldPalHand that it is at best a $500 to $700 value, not the advertised $1500 price tag. No way.
Very outdated property. The only attraction to me is the highly rated dinner which is no longer included in redemption booking... not worth the hassle to go then.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 21, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:11 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by tonywush

Where do you see the Room Only in your reservation? I had an old SPG booking which I had to cancel and rebook on Dec 12th as well. The new reservation makes no reference at all to what’s included (or not) and I assumed the same as before.

I’ve looked up and down at my email confirmation and confirmation on Marriott.com and there’s simply no mention on either of ‘Room Only’.

My expectation on arrival would certainly be full room and board given nothing in the booking channel or my confirmation to the contrary, but curious if you are seeing it somewhere I’m not.

Also curious the the prices for everything if not included?? I don’t think I’d go if food and activities were a la carte.

I'm sure the screen still said "full board and 2 activities" included.

Last edited by MilesTalk; Dec 28, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesTalk

Where do you see the Room Only in your reservation? I had an old SPG booking which I had to cancel and rebook on Dec 12th as well. The new reservation makes no reference at all to what’s included (or not) and I assumed the same as before.

I’ve looked up and down at my email confirmation and confirmation on Marriott.com and there’s simply no mention on either of ‘Room Only’.

My expectation on arrival would certainly be full room and board given nothing in the booking channel or my confirmation to the contrary, but curious if you are seeing it somewhere I’m not.

Also curious the the prices for everything if not included?? I don’t think I’d go if food and activities were a la carte.
Did you read Post 319, just a few posts above yours? and the few posts that followed?

It is in the Rate Details - a pop up window when you click it.

You will not see it in your confirmation email but the Rate Details is where you ALWAYS should check on any booking, to know what is included what is not and the cancellation policy.

BTW this property the cancellation policy seems to be 30 days before arrival. So if you dont plan to go you need to watch out the cancellation deadline.

Unfortunately, your rebooking made recently would be subj to the new NON inclusive rate.

I would suggest you to contact the property and get this squared away BEFORE you make further plan.

See Post 324, IrishStephen has talked to the hotel which confirmed bookings made after merger are subj to the new rate, i.e. Room Only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.