Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Here is the link to the QR code menu click here
Thank you! Appreciate it!
Old May 2, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
We just got back and really can't recommend this place enough. The staff is great, food is great and the activities are fun. The rooms do look a little dated, but they are still luxury rooms. The private pool is fantastic. There are mountain gazelles throughout the resort.

If Michelin rated Dubai, I'd guess the restaurant would be 1-star. (We'll get to find out soon because Michelin is going to start rating Dubai this year.)

It's easily in the top 10 of the hotels I've been to. (Along with St. Regis Maldives, St. Regis NYC, Gritti Palace.)

To address some of the questions above, including mine:

- We stayed 5 nights. 3-4 nights is ideal. If we were paying cash, I'd have done 4 nights. But given 5th night free, we did the 5th.
- Yes there are "only" 6 activities, but you can repeat and most likely will have different experiences to make them worthwhile. We did wildlife trek 2x and nature walk 2x. Both were different enough each time. The nature walk was completely different as our guides went to different locations. The dune ride (+270 AED) was well worth it, unless you get dizzy easily.
- The staff is very accommodating of dietary restrictions. They have separate vegetarian menus. The head chef is Indian and made delicious Indian veg food just for us.
- We took Airport Taxi and Transfer from airport. https://airportstaxitransfers.com $48 U.S., but it can vary. We got the driver's text number and arranged with him directly for the return. It saved us a few bucks, but more importantly he got more money by cutting out the middleman.
- We were able to have some friends join us for lunch. ~$80 US per person.

I got our PCR test through the resort. It was 450 AED. Very convenient. The nurse comes out from Dubai. Took the sample around 9am, had results by 7 pm.

Unfortunately, Emirates does require a PCR test for U.S. bound passengers departing from DXB. As best I can tell there must be some kickbacks involved or a desire to keep the clinics in business. Antigen tests are allowed for people connecting through DXB or doing a Fifth Freedom flight from Milan or Athens. But if you originate in Dubai and are headed to the U.S., you need a PCR test. This is as of May 1. Seems unlikely to change until US removes test requirement altogether.

The key with Al Maha is that you have to be comfortable with mostly solitude / your partner. Besides the planned activities, it's mostly hanging out.
fedechat and rajanh3 like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Adding data point on EK and test result...flew DXB to SFO about a month ago using observed self administered antigen test kit. No issues.
fedechat and joecool1885 like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Will try to post a proper review soon. We're 3 nights into a 5 night stay.

Lets just get the major negative out of the way: bugs. Now most bugs we're fine with, but waking up with bites on feet and lower legs is unpleasant. I'm optimistic that it's simply fleas... maybe from walking barefoot and with shorts on at night. Doubt it's anything more nefarious, but can't be certain at the moment.

Lots of positives that I'll get to soon.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:35 am

@: rocky : one correction to your post - this India men at restaurant is F&B Manager /he was before at Oberoi hotels/ and Executive Chef is from Poland.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Adding data point on EK and test result...flew DXB to SFO about a month ago using observed self administered antigen test kit. No issues.
According to EK, if you are transiting DXB a self administered procured antigen test is all that's required. However, if you have a "stopover" or originating from Dubai, then a PCR test is required.
Was your flight a stopover or transit?
Old May 3, 2022, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Will try to post a proper review soon. We're 3 nights into a 5 night stay.

Lets just get the major negative out of the way: bugs. Now most bugs we're fine with, but waking up with bites on feet and lower legs is unpleasant. I'm optimistic that it's simply fleas... maybe from walking barefoot and with shorts on at night. Doubt it's anything more nefarious, but can't be certain at the moment.

Lots of positives that I'll get to soon.
Bear in mind that mosquitos, which never used to be a problem in the UAE 5-6 years ago, seems to have become a real problem which is getting worse every year. Given that there are plenty of stagnant water around the place, I’d hazard a guess in that direction.

When out at night, it’s definitely worth taking some precautions in terms of bug sprays and lotions.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by Moflav
According to EK, if you are transiting DXB a self administered procured antigen test is all that's required. However, if you have a "stopover" or originating from Dubai, then a PCR test is required.
Was your flight a stopover or transit?
2 night stay following a visit to Maldives.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by stargold
Bear in mind that mosquitos, which never used to be a problem in the UAE 5-6 years ago, seems to have become a real problem which is getting worse every year. Given that there are plenty of stagnant water around the place, I’d hazard a guess in that direction.

When out at night, it’s definitely worth taking some precautions in terms of bug sprays and lotions.
Could be mosquitoes, and that doesnt bother me too much. The concentration at lower legs and feet is what surprises me, with virtually nothing on the upper extremities.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Member

HHQX888

You're right, the executive chef is Polish.

The chef that spoke to us throughout our stay is "senior chef." His LinkedIn says he's looking for work. If anyone in the Emirates needs a great Indian chef, I recommend him!

Last edited by rocky; May 4, 2022 at 10:38 am Reason: tagged original
Old May 4, 2022, 12:34 pm

4 ppl in award room?

Hi all - apologies if this has been addressed already, but I booked a room on points, where the capacity limit was 2 ppl on the interface. However, there will be 4 of us total - will we all be able to share a room? Should I contact the hotel prior to my stay to confirm?
Old May 4, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cintwan
Hi all - apologies if this has been addressed already, but I booked a room on points, where the capacity limit was 2 ppl on the interface. However, there will be 4 of us total - will we all be able to share a room? Should I contact the hotel prior to my stay to confirm?
Definitely. Keep in mind that this is an (almost) all-inclusive resort. So there's probably $450/pp USD in food "included."

There are really no other options for food except what's available through the hotel.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:02 pm

???
I think he’s asking if 4 people can stay in the room even though the rooms are limited to 2. They have rooms that allow for 4 but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you booked. I strongly suggest you contact the resort or change the reservation to avoid a highly unpleasant situation in the middle of the desert.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by cintwan
The way the resort works involves passing through a security gate before a long drive through the nature reserve. Whenever we've been, they've taken both our names and passed that along to reception. I suspect four guest in a car will set off alarm bells if not in a suitable villa before you even get to reception. As others have said, there's then the food point. In short, I doubt it will work out well.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: AC 25k, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE
For those who got here from Dubai using Careem/Uber, which address did you use for the ride? The address on Google or the one they provide? The latter is only for the gate and the resort is still a long road ahead so I want to avoid hiccups on the way there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.