Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I currently have 5 nights at 400K points, King Bed. Notice that for my dates, there is now 5 nights at 340K for two twins. Worth it to save the points and just have them push two twins together, or should I keep my King?

TIA.
FYI data point. We booked Two Twins to save 30K in points vs the King. We checked in on the 24th and pleasantly surprised to have a king villa. We're in the middle of our stay right now, and the place is fantastic.
pazza2000, luvFclass and wb2020 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jer3
Has anyone else noticed a sharp increase in the cost for transfers? I saw in 2020/2021, it seemed like it cost around $70 USD one way. I've checked airportstaxitransfers, Blacklane and Sixt. All of them seem to be around the $115-$120 USD range. Have transfer costs really gone up that quickly? I'm assuming it might be due to Russian oil situation?
Be very wary of Blacklane... I booked a one way Ras-al-Khamir to Dubai over the Christmas period. I booked it for midday, but got a message when I woke up saying the driver had arrived a midnight, and he couldn't find me, so the trip was cancelled.

I asked the concierge at the hotel, he checked, and no driver had arrived at midnight. He said this was a common way for Blacklane to get out of a booking and that they have a bad reputation. They just say that they turned up and couldn't find the passenger. It was telling that I wasn't charged...

Saying that, I did use them the previous year for Al-Maha, and they were fine.
jer3 and pazza2000 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Wouks you recommend AirportTaxiTransfers for drop off and pick up?
Our experience with AirportTaxiTransfers was very positive, so yes. They arrived early and provided great service, so I'd definitely use them again based on our trip. Sixt was excellent as well.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
FYI data point. We booked Two Twins to save 30K in points vs the King. We checked in on the 24th and pleasantly surprised to have a king villa. We're in the middle of our stay right now, and the place is fantastic.
Whats the temperature and humidity like in the daytime right now?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
High temperature was 95-100 F two weeks ago, humidity relatively low (25-40%). I heard things cooled off after we left...
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
I’m headed there in early/mid-August and am kind of worried about the heat. Then again, it’s low season, and it seems like a good opportunity to redeem some MB points.

For those of you who’ve been to Dubai in August, particularly at Al Maha, how would you describe your stay? Hopefully they won’t limit the number of published activities (e.g., falconry, camel riding, etc.) due to the heat.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I’m headed there in early/mid-August and am kind of worried about the heat. Then again, it’s low season, and it seems like a good opportunity to redeem some MB points.

For those of you who’ve been to Dubai in August, particularly at Al Maha, how would you describe your stay? Hopefully they won’t limit the number of published activities (e.g., falconry, camel riding, etc.) due to the heat.
I always find it best to redeem points when a destination is desirable to visit. I’ve not stayed at Al Maha in August but I cannot imagine it will be remotely comfortable to be outside in that weather.
EuropeanPete and pazza2000 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I always find it best to redeem points when a destination is desirable to visit. I’ve not stayed at Al Maha in August but I cannot imagine it will be remotely comfortable to be outside in that weather.
Unless you’re a camel or falcon… Seriously, the temp outside is insane in August.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Humidity has been medium to low - like 35-50. Temps have been great,70-104F on the first couple days, which wasn't bad because hot temps tended to only last a few hours. Today it's been 62-83F, delightful. We actually got heavy mist and fog two mornings ago, which was pretty fun. Seems like later March is a great time to visit considering the weather.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Agreed, the off peak rate isn’t worth the difference to the experience the heat will make, imo.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Humidity has been medium to low - like 35-50. Temps have been great,70-104F on the first couple days, which wasn't bad because hot temps tended to only last a few hours. Today it's been 62-83F, delightful. We actually got heavy mist and fog two mornings ago, which was pretty fun. Seems like later March is a great time to visit considering the weather.
Good to know, I know at least in Dubai the temperatures can be very up and down in March, more so than any other month.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'm headed there end of April/early May. A little anxious with this weather talk. Shows May averages (high/low) of 100/78, vs 106/87 in August.

Is the difference that extreme, or is May a bad month, too?
I'm imagining early morning excursions, spending most of the day poolside in the shade or in the room, and then of course taking advantage of the restaurants. How much do I really need to worry about outside temps?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I'm headed there end of April/early May. A little anxious with this weather talk. Shows May averages (high/low) of 100/78, vs 106/87 in August.

Is the difference that extreme, or is May a bad month, too?
I'm imagining early morning excursions, spending most of the day poolside in the shade or in the room, and then of course taking advantage of the restaurants. How much do I really need to worry about outside temps?
I'm wondering the same thing as well. Even in the best of weather, the truth is that guests are literally in the middle of a desert and don't generally have much to do beyond the offered activities, which happen either early mornings or in the evenings. I think most guests come to the resort to disconnect and relax.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by jer3
Anybody know of the best suite numbers to request if you want a nice unobstructed view of the dessert where the camels typically walk through?
6 and 23 were my favourite overall unobstructed view suites. 23 is best suited for what you want, the camel walk to sundown, 6 is closer to the main building where the spa and dining is centrally located, and has the best overall views of the regular Bedouin Suites. sadly, I have yet to try the Emirates or Presidential Suites.

It has become my UAE "cottage" destination now.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC 25k, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by luvFclass
6 and 23 were my favourite overall unobstructed view suites. 23 is best suited for what you want, the camel walk to sundown, 6 is closer to the main building where the spa and dining is centrally located, and has the best overall views of the regular Bedouin Suites. sadly, I have yet to try the Emirates or Presidential Suites.

It has become my UAE "cottage" destination now.
Are 6 and 23 king suites? I had the same question for twin suites, wondering if anyone has recommendations.
luvFclass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.