Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:40 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You can order anything you want to the room anyway and the waiters do a regular restaurant setup for you. I guess the difference is they go away then during the meal and won't necessarily "wait" on you the whole time and maybe add some candles or something but given the intimate setup do you really want them standing there during your conversations and dinner.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
I used a free night cert in December by calling Marriott Reservations.
how did you use free night certs? I was under the impression it was only up to category 4 or 5 hotels?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:48 am

The wine seems outrageously marked up to me. I’m very willing to pay a premium at a resort, but $7 killawara goes for $65 and $50 Veuve is $290.

Are 500% and 1,000% markups common?

Also was charged for sparkling water which irked me slightly. I suppose I should have been paying more attention. On the upside, beer seems to be reasonably priced, especially during happy hour!

Overall a beautiful resort with fantastic food. A few small hiccups here and there but overall very very good.

Be warned also that the activities are pretty light. Will only take up 2-3 hours of your day, so don’t come in expecting it’ll be jam packed with action.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dval44
.........Be warned also that the activities are pretty light. Will only take up 2-3 hours of your day, so don’t come in expecting it’ll be jam packed with action.
How long was your stay? Anything interesting to do other than those 2-3 hours of activities?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Also was charged for sparkling water which irked me slightly. I suppose I should have been paying more attention. On the upside, beer seems to be reasonably priced, especially during happy hour!

How are the prices for wine and cocktails during happy hour? Is it buy one, get one free? I'm not a beer drinker.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
How long was your stay? Anything interesting to do other than those 2-3 hours of activities?
Three nights for us and it was the perfect amount of time. Also we are in January so the weather was great - I imagine summer could be stifling.

Meals are elaborate and take 1-1.5 hours each. There is a nice free spa with sauna, pool, jacuzzi, and cold pool. We went in with the mindset of relaxing and enjoying ourselves, which we certainly did.

If you are a “go go go” traveler then 2 nights might be better.

Also we paid for dune bashing, which is additive. So one day we had 3 activities which felt much more full when you include those three plus meals and happy hour
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:26 am

Deleted
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:40 am

Overall the stay really was a 9 or 9.5 out of 10.

I was slightly put put off by some upselling and question the price of wine bottles, but really quite fantastic.

Also the restaurant staff are slightly slow sometimes and not ultra attentive. But these are minor things.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The wine seems outrageously marked up to me. I’m very willing to pay a premium at a resort, but $7 killawara goes for $65 and $50 Veuve is $290.

Are 500% and 1,000% markups common?

Mainly, you could consider this your friendly welcome to Dubai I’m sure the drinks could have been keener priced, but everywhere in Dubai is essentially outrageous for someone used to prices from the English speaking world.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: United Silver; Marriott Silver
I booked my stay on 14 January 2019, redeeming 60K points. It booked as Full Board and 2 activities. I stayed at the resort last weekend and can report that it was all meals included and I did my two activities (camel trek and falconry). What an amazing resort! Best Marriott awards redemption ever!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:45 am

Overall, Al Maha was a 9.5 out of 10 for me. I think it should be a 2 night stay and you can pack in all the activities to one day. Unless you want to fully commit to relaxing a bit as we did. My slight issues:

- Sometimes dinner dragged on too long, taking ~30minutes between courses.

- I was disappointed they tried to upsell me so hard for the “deck dining” for my proposal. Also, I would have hoped that they would have offered to do *something* given what a special event it was. Not that I am trying to milk them for freebies, but just a rose or a special box of chocolates or a card or something really would have been nice. Instead, they just suggested an expensive and fairly pointless add-on... twice.

- This is tiny, but I hate espresso and wish they had brewed coffee out in the lobby in addition to the machine

- We went through probably 40 plastic water bottles. Would be awesome if they did refillable branded water bottles like at the Kuai Hyatt

Overall, beautiful well-run resort with amazing food. We ate and ate and ate the whole time. I felt full every minute I was there.

Spent a bit more on alcohol than I would have liked, but we were celebrating. 10X Markups are the norm there.

The dune bashing was worh the small upcharge for us.

Overall super awesome.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
How are the prices for wine and cocktails during happy hour? Is it buy one, get one free? I'm not a beer drinker.
Yes the drinks for Happy Hour are buy one get one free. I have seen a few people ordering drinks at the bar for Happy Hour and then have them sent to the table for dinner which is good of the hotel. I have to say its a great place and I don't mind spending on property when they are so very accommodating when on a revenue or points stay. Can't wait to go back twice this year!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier, Skywards Gold, HH Gold, M&M FTL
For anyone evaluating the Al Maha as a potential stay target, I may recommend this long & thorough review complete with plenty of photos:
https://www.passportandpalmtree.com/...-dubai-review/
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott
Just a heads up--the wiki isn't accurate. I booked a stay for next December--well after 12/11/19--and my confirmation says it's a full board stay with activities included. So, they are still offering all-inclusive stays. Just be careful what the terms are when you book, and save your confirmation. And if you do points advance, screenshot or pdf the confirmation with the terms that state the reservation is full board with activities.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
Just a heads up--the wiki isn't accurate. I booked a stay for next December--well after 12/11/19--and my confirmation says it's a full board stay with activities included. So, they are still offering all-inclusive stays. Just be careful what the terms are when you book, and save your confirmation. And if you do points advance, screenshot or pdf the confirmation with the terms that state the reservation is full board with activities.
Fixed. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.