Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:53 pm

When pulling up a dummy booking if you hit “room details” it says complimentary breakfast buffet. When you hit “rate details” it says room only redemption stay and food, activities and incidentals will be paid to the hotel. Is “room only” inclusive of what is in the “room details” tab so the award stay will at least include breakfast?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
My original SPG reservation (now migrated to Marriott) is now showing as points but with the food/activity surcharge. No change from my side and it still shows the link to the original SPG reservation number.

I'm emailing the hotel to re-confirm that they remain complimentary.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Hotel have confirmed I remain on full board. Recommend others confirm the same if in doubt. I will be printing the email and taking it with me later this week!
imverge and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA platinum, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MrM2016
Hotel have confirmed I remain on full board. Recommend others confirm the same if in doubt. I will be printing the email and taking it with me later this week!
Lucky you, i booked the hotel with points the 13th of December on the Marriot site and the rate still said food and activities included,i sent an email to the hotel and the answer has been this
" Thank you for the below email.Further to your below query, pleased to inform you that the property is already been migrated to Marriott, hence the points redemption reservation will be on Room Only basis.The Inclusions which you will see on the SPG website is already been expired.Should you need any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us."
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Same situation where I had booked previously in September then due to migration reservation switched to cash so Marriott rebooked. Sent hotel the old and new confirmation numbers and they confirmed activities and full board included under new reservation number despite website saying other. I envision having to use this email during the check in process.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I emailed them to ask about mine and they just said that points bookings are room only. I guess I'll have to cancel my booking, which is a shame since I was really looking forward to this hotel. Good thing I hadn't bought the flights yet

I asked about the cost of meals + activities and whether anything is waived for platinum members:

Breakfast (Buffet)– AED 160+5%vat

Lunch(Set Menu) – AED 260+5%vat

Dinner(Set Menu) – AED 490+5%vat

Desert activities can be reserved at the cost of AED 270 per person per activity

As Platinum Guest one of our best suites will be allocated for you.

Early check in and late check-out will be provided subject to the hotel availability.

Free WIFI will be provided.

Sherry wine will be placed in your suite as a welcome drink.

​Arabic dates and nuts will be placed in your suite as welcome amenities.

You will have the chance to choose your welcome amenities as Platinum guest ( 1000 Marriott Points or breakfast or Local Gift)

​​​​​​
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Oh wow, that adds $545 a night to the cost of the booking, and that’s if the price of food is for the room rather than per person - I didn’t find that very clear. Not unfair, but those of us who got in quickly did well.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i just canceled my booking at this hotel later next year just because i can't afford it.

if i need to stay there, i would rather pay cash instead of point.

very disappoint with this 'Marriott Enhancement'.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pewpew
I emailed them to ask about mine and they just said that points bookings are room only. I guess I'll have to cancel my booking, which is a shame since I was really looking forward to this hotel. Good thing I hadn't bought the flights yet

I asked about the cost of meals + activities and whether anything is waived for platinum members:
Did you make your reservation before or after the reservation conversion?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA platinum, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by capkor
Lucky you, i booked the hotel with points the 13th of December on the Marriot site and the rate still said food and activities included,i sent an email to the hotel and the answer has been this
" Thank you for the below email.Further to your below query, pleased to inform you that the property is already been migrated to Marriott, hence the points redemption reservation will be on Room Only basis.The Inclusions which you will see on the SPG website is already been expired.Should you need any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us."
I replied to this email insisting that my reservation included the food and activities and today they said that indeed i will have the food and 2 activities included in my points reservation, so after 5 emails they reversed course and now it's all included again
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Oh wow, that adds $545 a night to the cost of the booking, and that’s if the price of food is for the room rather than per person - I didn’t find that very clear. Not unfair, but those of us who got in quickly did well.
Per person. Seen the similar quote before in the past on other sites. It is the same list but more clearly indicated the cost basis.

Even it is per room, one would fare far far better to take a nice cruise on a nice ship. just sayin.

That would cause many point booking cancellations made after Dec 11. Hopefully that would also help the standards do not slip further.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Happy
Per person. Seen the similar quote before in the past on other sites.

That would cause many point booking cancellations made after Dec 11. Hopefully that would also help the standards do not slip further.
Wow, that adds $738 per room per night then assuming 2 people choose the free breakfast with status but have lunch and dinner and do 2 activities per day. That’s a bit ridiculous - the food, while lovely, is not clearly well over priced by Dubai standards. As a benchmark, the dinner is priced the same as the most expensive Hakkasan tasting menu.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:25 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I replied to this email insisting that my reservation included the food and activities and today they said that indeed i will have the food and 2 activities included in my points reservation, so after 5 emails they reversed course and now it's all included again
Thanks so much for posting this. I booked the day before you and was SURE it was still included in the rate terms but there was no way to verify because of course the reservation on Marriott.com now shows the room only.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good for you if you are gunhold to go.

Though if one has to fight for honoring the booking, it sets a poor tone long before the stay. The property needs to come up other ways to get their cost structure working instead of cutting the all-inclusive part because its location basically makes the guests captive to the hotel's meal plan.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Wow, that adds $738 per room per night then assuming 2 people choose the free breakfast with status but have lunch and dinner and do 2 activities per day. That’s a bit ridiculous - the food, while lovely, is not clearly well over priced by Dubai standards. As a benchmark, the dinner is priced the same as the most expensive Hakkasan tasting menu.
I believe you mean "clearly well overpriced" by Dubai standard.

I read a Chinese trip note last night - the writer was from Canada, they had one night at Al Maha in their Middle East trip last year. I believe the couple paid about $1K for the night, booked thru agent in Chinese market. They traveled with another couple. Apparently the group was not impressed at all by the foods (not a single word about it!) but did enjoyed the desert setting and the sunset riding into the desert - though it obviously pales to their subsequent trip to Namibia, that included the Dune 45 as well as Etosha.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 26, 2018 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.