Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 21, 7:10 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 22, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
You must have been to the fun parts of Europe, we still had to mask up on public transport in Germany recently . Have a great trip to Dubai!
Thank you! We've been to France twice, Switzerland and Denmark this year. Perhaps timings were right in terms of mask policies...
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattoo View Post
Hello all.

Due to arrive at Al Maha on Monday and wondered what the current mask policy is? The website says still required in restaurant/gym etc. Is that still the case in reality? Same with flying Emirates? I thought masks were long gone so this is quite a surprise for us coming from the UK.

Thank you for your help
There is no mask mandate in place at the resort. The staff wear masks (mostly) but no requirement on guests. I'm here right now.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:45 am

Great, thanks for the up-to-date information.

Originally Posted by brokenwindow View Post
There is no mask mandate in place at the resort. The staff wear masks (mostly) but no requirement on guests. I'm here right now.
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP & Marriott Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium)
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
You must have been to the fun parts of Europe, we still had to mask up on public transport in Germany recently . Have a great trip to Dubai!
Just landed back in phl after a week in Munich. It was 50/50 for those who wore masks on tram/train/subway. Signs everywhere but not readily enforced either.

The only place we wore our masks at Al Maha was inside the SUV during any of the included excursions.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:57 pm

I was there about a week ago. Staff generally wear masks, at least indoors. I felt unconscious pressure to also wear one the first day, but that passed quickly. Other guests mostly donít wear them, but some do. Nobody ever said anything to me regarding masks. Wear one if you wish, but there is zero enforcement for guests. Most of the time is spent either outdoors or in your villa, so the risk, in my opinion, is very low, but do what makes sense to you.
Old Sep 24, 22, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow View Post
Oh hey cool, I'm here too! Wonder if we crossed paths.

I asked on day 1 and they said to wear masks in indoor spaces if there were a lot of people, or in the vehicles on excursions etc. But I haven't seen anyone actually doing it.

This was my first stay here and really have enjoyed it. The food is amazing, although it took me 3 breakfasts to finally find things I thought were exceptional. Dinner was easier though - everything I've had was outstanding. Did the 4x4 excursion this morning which was definitely worth the upcharge IMHO (although I'm sure it can be had for cheaper through private tour companies).
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:20 am

Programs: AP35k, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wolverinechris View Post
Oh hey cool, I'm here too! Wonder if we crossed paths.

I asked on day 1 and they said to wear masks in indoor spaces if there were a lot of people, or in the vehicles on excursions etc. But I haven't seen anyone actually doing it.

This was my first stay here and really have enjoyed it. The food is amazing, although it took me 3 breakfasts to finally find things I thought were exceptional. Dinner was easier though - everything I've had was outstanding. Did the 4x4 excursion this morning which was definitely worth the upcharge IMHO (although I'm sure it can be had for cheaper through private tour companies).
What made the 4x4 worth it for you? Gonna be there in about a months time, so curious to hear some opinions on it.
Old Sep 24, 22, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by smuncky View Post
What made the 4x4 worth it for you? Gonna be there in about a months time, so curious to hear some opinions on it.
I also did the dune bashing and agree that itís worth it.

The experience to me felt like a very tame version of what Iíd imagine Dakar rally cars do - climbing the dunes, sand sweeping past you, squealing with joy. You do it not in the dunes you see around the resort but in a separate area a short drive away. The dunes there are much bigger 🙂. And there are free roaming camels there, which was fun to see.

The strength of the USD made it cheaper than what I anticipated. Itís 270 AED per person - converted to about $150 on my USD credit card for 2 people. Also, itís not an upcharge but just a charge - does not count against your free 2x daily activities.

Iím not sure how much cheaper it would be with a separate tour once you count transport to and from whatever dune area they are using.
smuncky likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by smuncky View Post
I'm guessing it's because there is nothing similar where people live and people who come to Dubai look to do dune bashing. My family also did the excursion and I wouldn't say it was 100% worth it but it was fun. I had high expectations and I'd say it was 85% met. I think the drivers at Al Maha are a bit more reserved vs a private tour. It wasn't as nauseating as I thought and the ride didn't last that long. With that said, if you've never done it and it's your first time in Dubai, AND you don't have time for a private tour elsewhere, then the one through the resort is good. The convenience is worth it since it obviously picks you up and drops you off from the lobby.
smuncky likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Not sure how common it is, but we did the afternoon nature drive 3X, and on our third run they intermingled some dune bashing. Also spotted a desert fox on that trip. This was back in May.
Old Sep 25, 22, 5:41 am

Anyone that's there now, or very recently can you comment on the flies? I was there in February 2020 and the flies were absolutely ridiculous to the point you couldn't sit outside most of the day. Visiting again (3rd time) in a few weeks and hoping we don't encounter this again.
TBD likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885 View Post
Not sure how common it is, but we did the afternoon nature drive 3X, and on our third run they intermingled some dune bashing. Also spotted a desert fox on that trip. This was back in May.
Can you comment on what the nature drive is? What does it do? How long? It sounded "boring" to me but willing to give it a shot when we go back next year.

Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Anyone that's there now, or very recently can you comment on the flies? I was there in February 2020 and the flies were absolutely ridiculous to the point you couldn't sit outside most of the day. Visiting again (3rd time) in a few weeks and hoping we don't encounter this again.
Was there in February and I honestly didn't notice the flies much. We were outside a lot.
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
In May, was only bothered by them when inside the restaurant. They were rather insufferable there. However, the restaurant will put a rudimentary powered fan on the table, and that will almost completely alleviate the problem.

Originally Posted by haner View Post
Can you comment on what the nature drive is? What does it do? How long? It sounded "boring" to me but willing to give it a shot when we go back next year.
Simple drive to various parts of the property searching for wildlife. IIRC, lasted about an hour. You can occasionally see Oryx from the rooms, but this will give you better photo ops for them. Spotting other wildlife is a little more rare (excluding the gazelles, obviously).
haner likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Did couple of those "Nature Drive" myself.

First drive was only myself and the ranger in the car. Drive around the conservation area while the ranger explain about how they get water, and the way they use the feeding station scattered in the area.
Very informative and since we heading to the remote corner of the resort, we did some mini dune driving.

2nd drive we visit their falconry. The rest pretty much similar to the first drive.

Thinking of heading there again in December, but still haven't decide yet.
Old Sep 25, 22, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by joecool1885 View Post
How was it in May? Was it getting crazy hot?

We're going in the first week of May next year on the way back from the Seychelles.

Search this Thread