Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've stayed there maybe 10 times. I have received the Presidential Suite once. It was my 500th SPG night (becoming lifetime Platinum). Otherwise, I generally receive a very high floor with an excellent view. The rooms, especially facing north (the view I want) are particularly small. It is just how the hotel is. Other than the chanchos in the lounge, I don't know how this hotel is a dump. FD staff is generally super, the rooms are clean and properly supplied, and the elevators work. I like the price, I like the view, I like the location.
I stayed there once last month as the price was amazingly cheap. The checkin experience left a lot to be desired. Room wasn't ready at 3 pm. Hotel bar/restaurant gave me the heebie jeebies with the Eastern European waitress that started acting very strange when I ordered a beer. She wouldn't let me eat at the bar either and I had to sit at a table. All in all I felt like I was sitting in a Best Western or something. I will say though that your description is pretty accurate. I didn't find the lounge that bad; Many of the Sheraton lounges I've been to do not have free alcohol, nor do most have a large patio. I paid around $120 for my room though. If I had paid $400 (like they were charging the next night), I would probably not view it as favorably.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by nsummy
I stayed there once last month as the price was amazingly cheap. The checkin experience left a lot to be desired. Room wasn't ready at 3 pm. Hotel bar/restaurant gave me the heebie jeebies with the Eastern European waitress that started acting very strange when I ordered a beer. She wouldn't let me eat at the bar either and I had to sit at a table. All in all I felt like I was sitting in a Best Western or something. I will say though that your description is pretty accurate. I didn't find the lounge that bad; Many of the Sheraton lounges I've been to do not have free alcohol, nor do most have a large patio. I paid around $120 for my room though. If I had paid $400 (like they were charging the next night), I would probably not view it as favorably.
i'm paying a little under $400 for 4 nights here in feb (around $96 a night)....i haven't stayed here in many years so unsure what to expect....the latest reviews don't look too good....
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
update - January 2018

Keyser, I did not see an update from you for your 3-night stay last month? Here is mine:
Getting here is dead easy. Take 1, 2, or 3 trains from 34th Street to Canal and walk two blocks.
The fact that check-in is slow and chaotic should surprise no one. Its a big hotel (21 floors) with a tiny lobby and two positions open. What can one expect?
The PLAT recognition is (IMO) meh. Not sure how many suites are in the property but I know I did not get one! No PLAT amenities for sure. Not even extra water.
For hors d'oeuvres (begins at 17:30) the offerings are nothing special - no hot food, mainly cheese. dips, veggies and crackers, along with two kinds of sliced meat. I went to the bagel place next door for real food!
The breakfast is much better - oatmeal, 3 kinds of cereal, bagels, muffins, etc. Although, no hot food. Overall, I much prefer the Sheraton Times Square. The big highlights of the SPG lounge are the views and in the eve the wine is complimentary Room cleanliness is (IMO) also meh. Its an old hotel and very profitable for Starwood!
Now my chance to rant : The SPG lounge was hopelessly overcrowded - 25 when I was there, in a space comfortable for half that. Two staff members could not keep up with the clearing.
The lounge enables guests to take food out (due to crowding?). They actually provide carry away cardboard containers. Why?
They also enable/encourage outside food. They even have a microwave i.e. you can go next door if you want, buy a frozen entrée and eat it in the lounge! IMO, that should never be allowed. UA is very firm on this - with good reason!
They also allow pets into the lounge. I have asked SPG about pets in the room, due to allergies, etc. But pets in the lounge is got to me a new low!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Keyser, I did not see an update from you for your 3-night stay last month? Here is mine:
Getting here is dead easy. Take 1, 2, or 3 trains from 34th Street to Canal and walk two blocks.
The fact that check-in is slow and chaotic should surprise no one. Its a big hotel (21 floors) with a tiny lobby and two positions open. What can one expect?
The PLAT recognition is (IMO) meh. Not sure how many suites are in the property but I know I did not get one! No PLAT amenities for sure. Not even extra water.
For hors d'oeuvres (begins at 17:30) the offerings are nothing special - no hot food, mainly cheese. dips, veggies and crackers, along with two kinds of sliced meat. I went to the bagel place next door for real food!
The breakfast is much better - oatmeal, 3 kinds of cereal, bagels, muffins, etc. Although, no hot food. Overall, I much prefer the Sheraton Times Square. The big highlights of the SPG lounge are the views and in the eve the wine is complimentary Room cleanliness is (IMO) also meh. Its an old hotel and very profitable for Starwood!
Now my chance to rant : The SPG lounge was hopelessly overcrowded - 25 when I was there, in a space comfortable for half that. Two staff members could not keep up with the clearing.
The lounge enables guests to take food out (due to crowding?). They actually provide carry away cardboard containers. Why?
They also enable/encourage outside food. They even have a microwave i.e. you can go next door if you want, buy a frozen entrée and eat it in the lounge! IMO, that should never be allowed. UA is very firm on this - with good reason!
They also allow pets into the lounge. I have asked SPG about pets in the room, due to allergies, etc. But pets in the lounge is got to me a new low!
my stay is actually next month, but after reading your review i'm now considering staying somewhere else....
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:23 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We had a 23 hour layover in NY, and I booked this place for ease of access to JFK, as was recommended to me on the "which hotel in NYC" thread. We happened to arrive at the peak of the recent snow/cold drama, and owing to flight delays, our layover shrunk to 15 hours. Uber rates were through the roof and google was showing drive times of 90 minutes and up, so we ended up taking the train. The Airtrain/A combo takes about 70 minutes, costs $7.75, and the hotel is right next to the Canal St stop -- very easy. The hotel is decidedly meh -- the front desk staff didn't even make the slightest effort to find us a decent room -- 10th floor, no view, with a connecting door (even though my profile asks for high floor, no connecting door). The room was small and run-down, just barely ok for our ~10 hour stay. We didn't catch much sleep because of a gaggle of Chinese girls in the room next door, who kept us up until 1am (we called the front desk a couple times, but they couldn't be bothered to intervene). We swung by the club lounge at night and in the morning, and the offerings were laughable -- cold stuff, picked over, and the lounge crowded with nowhere to sit. I mostly stay in Asia and Europe, so perhaps I'm judging this place unfairly, but I'd give it an 8 for location, and 3s for room/lounge/service.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jpdx
We had a 23 hour layover in NY, and I booked this place for ease of access to JFK, as was recommended to me on the "which hotel in NYC" thread. We happened to arrive at the peak of the recent snow/cold drama, and owing to flight delays, our layover shrunk to 15 hours. Uber rates were through the roof and google was showing drive times of 90 minutes and up, so we ended up taking the train. The Airtrain/A combo takes about 70 minutes, costs $7.75, and the hotel is right next to the Canal St stop -- very easy. The hotel is decidedly meh -- the front desk staff didn't even make the slightest effort to find us a decent room -- 10th floor, no view, with a connecting door (even though my profile asks for high floor, no connecting door). The room was small and run-down, just barely ok for our ~10 hour stay. We didn't catch much sleep because of a gaggle of Chinese girls in the room next door, who kept us up until 1am (we called the front desk a couple times, but they couldn't be bothered to intervene). We swung by the club lounge at night and in the morning, and the offerings were laughable -- cold stuff, picked over, and the lounge crowded with nowhere to sit. I mostly stay in Asia and Europe, so perhaps I'm judging this place unfairly, but I'd give it an 8 for location, and 3s for room/lounge/service.
Can you please describe specifically how the fact that the gaggle of girls may have been Chinese has any bearing in your comments about the hotel?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Can you please describe specifically how the fact that the gaggle of girls may have been Chinese has any bearing in your comments about the hotel?
Oh god, really? It's obvious that they were Chinese, because they were yelling in Mandarin, and thanks to the connecting door they might as well have been sitting on our bed. I of course know where you're going with your comments, so in the interest of avoiding thread drift, I will state that I would have been equally annoyed with noisy Norwegians.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Oh god, really? It's obvious that they were Chinese, because they were yelling in Mandarin
Couldn't have been British girls practicing their Mandarin?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG
Ugh this is one of the SPG properties I really, really dislike. Stayed a couple of times out of sheer necessity (last-minute reservation during busy season) and will be doing my best to never have to come back.

First off, this is not in Tribeca. It's on Canal street. Not to sound petty, but this makes a big difference in terms of how nice the neighborhood is. The area feels super shady. I like walking to and from the hotel when I am in NYC, and the area doesn't feel safe at all to a solo female traveler (I am from NYC originally, so I am pretty used to all parts of NYC). It is accessible for the subway though, so there is that.

Service is terrible. Good luck getting that toothpaste you didn't bring with you. It will never show up. I had an impression they were understaffed for such a large hotel + they just didn't care.

Lounge is fine, I guess. It doesn't make a difference to me personally because my company caters all meals in the office, so I would never really use the lounge, but I know many people like it.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Eupatoria

First off, this is not in Tribeca. It's on Canal street.
Putting aside your other reasons for disliking the property, you surely are aware that TriBeCa stands from Triangle Below Canal ,and this property is absolutely legit in that designation. Is it in a gentrified section? No (that's a block south). Is it misnamed? Again, no.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:11 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Stayed here Saturday night for the one night. Got there early (10:30AM), had noticed they were selling rooms for that night for $95 so expected it would be empty and we'd have no trouble getting a room. I know we were early, but the "only rooms that were clean and empty were an accessible one on 8 and one with 2 doubles (we wanted a Queen) on 11".

We figured that maybe they just weren't putting anyone on the upper half of the hotel, but did meet folks who were up on the top floors.

Not a big deal as we were in the room and not asleep for maybe an hour, but I can't believe there weren't rooms on a Preferred Guest floor that were clean.

Meanwhile, we figured out why they move the restaurant into the lobby area when we were there last month: They've moved the Club Lounge into the restaurant space on the ground floor. Club Lounge is "being remodeled" and is expected to be on 1 for about a month. They had the usual spread in the evening and morning, just downstairs. No one really checking IDs, but the space is bigger than the one on the 22nd floor (or at least more seating), and it wasn't full during cocktail hour or b'fast at all.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:40 pm

We Recently stayed there for 2 weeks under 2 separate reservation. (Platinum)
Immediately prior coming here, we stayed 5 nights at Sheraton Boston, which we had a fantastic experience. Sheraton Tribeca seems like it belongs to a totally different chain.
On first stay, we booked traditional king and we were upgraded to superior king.
Superior room was quite big for NYC standard. The room was outdated and some of the in room furnitures were half broken.
Housekeeping was ..... They forgot to restock toiletries almost every single night and did a crappy cleaning job.
Both evening spread and breakfast at club lounge were on par with 1 star hotel food. We woke up for breakfast 1-2 times out of 2 week stays.
There were many people at the club lounge for evening spread. The selection were horrible.
Considering all the good food in NYC, one has to be very desperate or tight on budget to have dinner at club lounge

We tried breakfast downstairs one day. It was ridiculous. We thought the club lounge might even had better breakfast than the restaurant downstairs. I'd definitely recommend anyone thinking twice about it if you have to pay for the breakfast downstairs.

On second reservation, we were not upgraded even though there were quite a lot of space in the hotel. It could be the renovation they were doing on the upper floors
The traditional room was very small and outdated.

Location is strategic if you want to explore NYC. Views from the Club lounge was nice also there`s a patio connected to club lounge.

Overall, If you are paying no more than $120 a day with tax included, then this place might be acceptable for NYC. It definitely not wroth a penny more.

3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
a gaggle of Chinese girls ..
Just to be accurate, it's:

gaggle of geese
parliament of owls
congress of baboons
murder of crows
E qun of Chinese girls
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Just to be accurate, it's:

gaggle of geese
parliament of owls
congress of baboons
murder of crows
E qun of Chinese girls
I thought it was a murder of Globs.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I am considering this hotel or W New York . Price is about the same

Any recommendations or view? I am Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.