Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JBauer
BUT no free alcohol! Which basically renders this lounge useless except for a basic cold breakfast in the morning.
Free alcohol in a North America Lounge Execpt for Andaz (offered in the evening in the lobby), I can't think of a lounge in NA that offered free alcohol. And I've stayed at plenty.

Now no hot items for breakfast is news to me. I have not stayed there since the summer (their rates are way too high) but the last time I was there they had plenty of hot items. I hope this has not changed.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
stayed here for 1 night on April 1, 2012 (april fools day lol)

As a platinum guest, I received

-500pt amenity
-upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 15th floor (booked standard room)
-free wifi internet (i had multiple devices, but the 9.95 charges were taken off)
-Sheraton Club Lounge - free soft drinks w/ 24 hour access,
-breakfast in the club lounge - (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, pastries, coffee, tea, juices, toast, bage)
-evening appetizers in the club lounge ( did not have a chance to try)
-4pm late checkout granted

great stay overall! 2 blocks west to the A/C/E Canal St. subway and 2 blocks east to the N/Q/R Canal St subway station.. makes it easy to go uptown or downtown!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
I like the hotel, but the AT&T wireless reception is particularly poor; unusable. I was going to re-book here next week, but this is a deal-breaker for me.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I like the hotel, but the AT&T wireless reception is particularly poor; unusable. I was going to re-book here next week, but this is a deal-breaker for me.
sprint worked great for me!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
It's like complaining a favorite radio station doesn't come in well in a hotel room (which I've found is the case when I travel from time to time).

The issue isn't with the hotel. It's the service provider. I live with it depending on the property, but then again, I rely more on email than voice calls.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
It's like complaining a favorite radio station doesn't come in well in a hotel room (which I've found is the case when I travel from time to time).

The issue isn't with the hotel. It's the service provider. I live with it depending on the property, but then again, I rely more on email than voice calls.
The hotel can get repeaters if there is a problem with recpetion for certain carriers. If I was the owner, I'd take it upon myself and not rely on a third party if it were proven to be a real problem.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
@ Tribeca Film Festival?

Nice forum!
Any FT's staying here during TFF? If so, PM me so we can meet up!
Old May 5, 2012, 5:55 pm

Mixed review

I just completed a 3 night stay.

Pros:
- friendly staff
- club lounge view
- club lounge full breakfast
- very friendly and accommodating housekeeping staff
- decent fitness facilities

Cons
- as a platinum guest I was "upgraded" to a room that was fine ok for one person but if the had been two if us it would have been a tight squeeze
- loud almost everywhere. The lobby music is so loud that, at times, it was difficult to carry on a conversant with the front desk staff.
- extremes in the lounge staff. The first two nights there was a great young woman who rocky understands customer service. (Ni, I am not high maintenance.) Te last night there was a young man whose sole focus seemed to be making sure everyone knew he expected a tip.
- untrained staff. I ordered room service one night and asked if the auto-gratuity went to the room attendant or the hotel. No one seemed to know.
- there were several significant cigarette burns in the carpet which I alerts the front desk to. Housekeeping tried to get the marks out fire they replied they were burn spots. Imagine my unhappy surprise when I stepped on a wet spot in my bare feet, (OK, I can hear some of you saying how stupid was I to be in my bare feet.)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
AT&T is the dealbreaker here. Poorest reception of ANY U.S. carrier (check out Consumer Reports if you don't believe me). I have Sprint and the reception is excellent throughout NYC, including at the Sheraton.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:22 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Staying at this property as a Gold, and as a NY resident with temporary work being done on apartment.

With respect to the former, was given a room facing north with a great view of the Empire State Building, but quite small, even by Manhattan standards. (The rooms at the Sheraton New York in Midtown, for example, are much bigger, and this room seemed to have even less usable space than the cookie-cutter rooms at the local Four Pointses.) The door map seemed to suggest this was one of the smallest rooms on the floor, so perhaps I was just unlucky. I was by myself so didn't bother asking to change. Likewise, as someone previously noted, if you're a light sleeper ask for something on the south side of the building, away from Canal Street.

With respect to the latter, the location is okay, but not great. The problem is it's very close to a lot of great stuff, but the immediate area around the hotel is a dead zone, especially at night. Like the Four Points "Manhattan Village SoHo," I would not recommend this hotel to a first-time visitor to New York, but for someone who knows the city a bit and is comfortable getting around it could be a good option.

One other nice thing: this property participates in the 500 points for declining housekeeping program. I had yet to stay at another property offering the program so I was excited, at least. They seem to be actively conspiring to discourage you from taking it, though, with few towels provided in the base set and almost nowhere to hang a towel in the bathroom.

In short, if you find good cash rates here, as you often can (it is often the cheapest property within NYC limits), it's a decent option. But if you're redeeming points, there are better Cat 5 locations in Manhattan. (For now anyway. If the NY properties keep up the strong performance and more creep into Cat 6, as happened back in the pre-GFC boom days, this might end up being the de facto cheap point redemption option.)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
how much does this property charge for parking????also, are there cheaper places to park nearby????
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Review of Sheraton Tribeca New York

Stayed here for one night on November 18, 2012. The location is convenient and just around the corner from the A-C-E Canal Street Subway station.

The Club Lounge had breathtaking views of the city and good offerings for breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres (except for the scrambled eggs, which looked awful - had the consistency of a meatloaf).

My room was comfortable and located on the top floor. It was average size for NYC but had a large bathroom and a great 37 inch HD TV with a wide selection of channels. Internet was fast, too! The only negative thing I can say is my room had no view (except for an office building across the street). But I probably could have switched to a room with a great view had I not been so lazy.

I had some minor glitches - had to make 2 calls to get a refrigerator, but Front Office Manager Steven Lamour more than made up for it with a sincere apology and a complimentary tray of snacks & beer. He certainly went above and beyond the call of duty. All the staff members were friendly from the front desk to housekeeping to the club lounge.

Service does matter and it's fantastic here, at least for SPG Platinum members. I will definitely return!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Now no hot items for breakfast is news to me. I have not stayed there since the summer (their rates are way too high) but the last time I was there they had plenty of hot items. I hope this has not changed.
They serve hot breakfast items EVERY DAY - scrambled eggs, bacon and/or sausage, and home fried potatoes. I just stayed there earlier this week.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked in last night and was definitely underwhelmed with some aspects.
  1. There are two check in counters and one has the sign for SPG Platinum & Gold. There was one person being checked in at the regular desk and a second front desk person who was chatting with the bellman near the other desk. I walked up to the Platinum Desk and the guy direct me to queue behind the regular desk line as he continued to chat.
  2. When I got to the front of the line she said we have your SPG Plat number on file which gave me hope of some sort of upgrade. As she handed me my key I prompted "I would like points as my amenity" which she kinda said okay. Not holding out hope that they are actually going to post.
  3. Made my way up to my room which was not even on a SPG preferred floor. My room was one door down from the elevator and right outside the ice machine.
  4. Room was tiny, but not totally uwarranted for NYC. My main complaint is the shower design. The only way to reach the controls is to get all the way and immediately get accosted by freezing cold water because of the glass wall.
  5. Also the safety latch was broken and the ice machine was LOUD! See my video below.

To see the design of the bathroom, check out this picture from One Mile at Time Blog
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...5/IMG_3852.jpg

To hear the ice machine and latch see my video here.
http://youtu.be/uW2fFXedeIc

The positives of the hotel were
  • Nice lobby bar that didn't have music blaring
  • Nice breakfast spread in the club lounge
  • Convenient to the subway for getting downtown
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay report as plat member?

Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.