Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Stayed her last weekend for two nights. Nicely laid out rooms. Reasonable size for Manhattan.

Three downsides:
Refused SPG Plat upgrade despite showing suites for sale and being called on it.
Extremely large gap at the bottom of the doors leading to little sound proofing from corridor noise and curtains that let in a lot of light and cannot be made to black out the room.
Extremely loud door closing - exacerbated by the point above.

Otherwise, friendly and really enjoyed the location.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by tjk1976
I suppose to some, pan handlers, people selling fake designer wear from tables on the sidewalk, and people getting arrested constitutes character, to others, it's just seedy.
In midtown the panhandlers wear suits and the fake designer wear is replaced with fake investments and the arrests occur just as often.

New York is New York. It's the seediest place on the earth, but the most incredible, and Canal Street is no different than 57th.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by HOTguy
New York is New York. It's the seediest place on the earth, but the most incredible, and Canal Street is no different than 57th.
I respectfully beg to differ. Parts of New York are much seedier than other parts. Anyway, my point was simply that I found the Canal Street location of the Sheraton Tribeca to be less than optimal and, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I suspect at least some other guests would agree.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by tjk1976
I respectfully beg to differ. Parts of New York are much seedier than other parts. Anyway, my point was simply that I found the Canal Street location of the Sheraton Tribeca to be less than optimal and, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I suspect at least some other guests would agree.
Clearly NYC is not for you, my man. Canal Street is not any seedier than other part of Manhattan, and it is quite safe with lots of police presence everywhere.

In fact, I would argue that NYC today is a pretty safe place to be, compared to many large cities in the world.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by sapguy
Clearly NYC is not for you, my man. Canal Street is not any seedier than other part of Manhattan, and it is quite safe with lots of police presence everywhere.

In fact, I would argue that NYC today is a pretty safe place to be, compared to many large cities in the world.
OMG. Who said anyting about it being unsafe? I can't believe all of this discussion over an innocent statement that Canal Street is seedy. Seedy means shabby, run down, NOT unsafe. I love NYC (including Canal Street) but, no offence, anyone who believes Canal street is no seedier than, say 56th Street where the Parker is, is either blind or nuts.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
...downsides:
Refused SPG Plat upgrade despite showing suites for sale and being called on .
That's unfortunate. It must depend on which desk attendant you get.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sapguy
I'm trying to decide between this Sheraton Tribeca and the Sheraton Brooklyn at MetroTech Center. Which one should I choose?
I like both.

Tribeca: Nice lounge and breath taking terrace view (always ask for the quiet room). Close to all those seedy places like Ctown where you can get a good meal for cheap. Also close to SoHo shopping (real and expensive stuff). Easy to catch the subway.

Here is a write up about the surrounding area:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/re...tribeca&st=cse

Brooklyn: Also very nice property but not much to do around the area. I find the surrounding area to be scary for out of town visitors. I am ok w/ it but it does get dark and quiet after 7 PM. Once Spring/Summer comes around, it will be nice to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and eat at Grimaldi's. One more point - this typically have cheaper rates that the Tri.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I like both.

Tribeca: Nice lounge and breath taking terrace view (always ask for the quiet room). Close to all those seedy places like Ctown where you can get a good meal for cheap. Also close to SoHo shopping (real and expensive stuff). Easy to catch the subway.

Here is a write up about the surrounding area:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/re...tribeca&st=cse

Brooklyn: Also very nice property but not much to do around the area. I find the surrounding area to be scary for out of town visitors. I am ok w/ it but it does get dark and quiet after 7 PM. Once Spring/Summer comes around, it will be nice to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge and eat at Grimaldi's. One more point - this typically have cheaper rates that the Tri.
Thanks for the NYTimes link, and I LOVE NYC.

I ended up choosing the Brooklyn for my FWN since the TriBeCa is sold out.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
Stayed her last weekend for two nights. Nicely laid out rooms. Reasonable size for Manhattan.

Three downsides:
Refused SPG Plat upgrade despite showing suites for sale and being called on it.
Extremely large gap at the bottom of the doors leading to little sound proofing from corridor noise and curtains that let in a lot of light and cannot be made to black out the room.
Extremely loud door closing - exacerbated by the point above.

Otherwise, friendly and really enjoyed the location.
I have to ask and I've said this many times before, just because a property is showing a suite, that doesn't mean it'a select standard suite.

Also there is NO WAY to tell the category of a suite online. So how do you know if the suites shown were Select Standard Suites?

Just because a property shows suites available that doesn't mean they are available for a Platinum members entire stay. If a property has X number of select standard suites and they are all filled a property is not obligated to upgrade a person into a suite in a higher category.

I may not agree with the above, but if a property had fulfilled the requirement of the platinum published benefits, then it is what it is.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Is this a new hotel or a rebranded one? Was this a Holiday Inn before?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm with the detractors of this hotel. I too don't like the location. It's a total ghost town at night. A blue heaven bar and some 24 hour stores are about all that's open within a few blocks after 8 PM. Not even a decent gray water hot dog to be found nearby at night.

To qualify, I do love the city and seedy is great when it's fun seedy. I love Chelsea, the Meatpacking district, Soho, Tribeca proper, the Lower East Side, East Village and Greenwich Village, Upper East and West Sides, Murray Hill, Hells Kitchen, heck even Flushing and Morningside Heights on occasion. I don't love Times Square or Canal St. Any neighborhood that has store after store after store selling I Love NY and NYPD t-shirts is not my idea of "good" NY. My favorite Starwoods were the Tuscany and Court for neighborhood and hotel quality. I loved that neighborhood. Don't love the 4pts in Chelsea but do like the location. Still not sure where my regular place will be in 2011.

As a plat at Tribeca I got a room so small I had to stand in the bathroom to open the ironing board in the entryway. Room was smaller than the smallest I encountered at W Lex or 4pts Chelsea. When I canceled the second night to move uptown, the GM magically produced a suite. I hate that nonsense.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:45 pm

This is a ground-up new development.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Skimpy in the evening

The only food in the club lounge tonight was mini-quiche. (Not just the only hot food -- the only food of any kind). I would rather they didn't have a club lounge at all so as not to create expectations.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CP@YOW
The only food in the club lounge tonight was mini-quiche. (Not just the only hot food -- the only food of any kind). I would rather they didn't have a club lounge at all so as not to create expectations.
Too bad. I had a terrific breakfast in the lounge last week!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
Too bad. I had a terrific breakfast in the lounge last week!
To be fair, the breakfast in the lounge this morning was above average, including a hot egg dish (which seemed to be made in-house, unlike the Costco-purchased quiche last night) and bacon and sausages.

If they are willing to put on a good spread for breakfast, I don't know why they neglect the evening. It seems they should close the lounge and give breakfast coupons instead, rather than giving the expectation of proper evening service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.