FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Salt Lake City, UT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1140600-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-salt-lake-city-ut.html)

SacTownGuy Oct 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Salt Lake City, UT

Quick trip with the family in a few weeks. The City Center appears to be nicer. Is it a lot nicer? How are the indoor pools? It's a family trip. Any thoughts comparing the two?

HoustonConsultant Oct 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Currently at the City Center. Pretty standard room on the club floor. Nothing bad about the room, but no fridge in my room.

Does not appear to be many eating options within a few blocks, other than a Carl Jr.s across the street.

Lounge was fine. Quiche and fried calamari, with fruit and veggies this evening. They are a little stingy with sodas and water, but they will get more if asked.

SacTownGuy Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have read on tripadvisor that made it sound like upgrades were hard to get at City Center versus the old downtown FS. Apparently City Center is not a corporate owned property.

cova Oct 25, 2010 8:53 pm

I prefer the old downtown SLC Marriott to the newer City Center. Better pool area and restaurant - in my view. SLC Marriott has a slightly better location across from convention center than City Center. The SLC Marriott is old style Marriott - but it has a nice lobby area.

Go on best price - but given the two - I go for the older property. If you plan to use the pool - stay at the older hotel.

kennycrudup Oct 25, 2010 9:13 pm

I've stayed there about 4 times in the last year. It's been essentially abandoned the weekends I was there, so I got a decent-enough upgrade for my not-exactly-cheap room, and was always able to get a 'fridge delivered. I forget about CL availability on weekends, though. The gym is nice, too.

graupel22 Oct 26, 2010 7:33 am

I am a long-time SLC resident who moved away a few years ago and am back often for business.

The City Center location is on the Gallivan Plaza and as said earlier, is a much newer hotel than the other FS Marriott downtown.

The City Center has a very nice gym and is (in my opinion) just a bit nicer than the average FS Marriott - it's nothing amazing but definitely better than average. It has a Starbucks as well.

The only reason I would stay in the "old" FS Marriott would be for a convention at the Salt Palace - where it would be an easy walk across the street. I'm only a recent Plat. so I can't talk to upgrades, etc.

As to the comment about restaurants near City Center - you just need to walk in the right direction to find a ton of stuff (by SLC standards) - there's a good Asian place called 5-Star just south of the hotel on State Street, along with great sushi at Takashi and seafood at the Oyster Bar / Steak at the New Yorker are a few blocks away.

Also on Main street - the BeerHive is good, along with classic food at Lambs, sushi at Shogun, there's a Melting Pot over there, and also a neat little European place called "The Atlantic".

Don't be afraid to walk anywhere in downtown SLC - it's clean and quiet and the worst thing that might happen is getting buzzed by a light rail train. :)

ryans18 Aug 7, 2012 11:02 am

Update

I am looking at taking my family (wife and 3 kids <7 years old) to SLC for a long weekend this October. Does anyone have any recent experiences in SLC hotels that they can share? Thanks.

SkiAdcock Aug 7, 2012 11:10 am

Here's the update (as of yest) on the exec lounges for the SLC properties:

* Salt Lake City / Marriott Downtown at City Creek / CLOSED; 20% discount cert for restaurant for Gold/Plat; 08/07/12 update

* Salt Lake City / Marriott City Center / CLOSED Weekends, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's; 08/07/12 update

* Salt Lake City / Marriott University Park / CLOSED; COUPONS for Gold/Plat; I-net term & free wifi; 07/18/12 update

I have no idea where University Park is, but it's the only one that provides brekkie coupons when the lounge is closed.

The Downtown one gives a 20% discount cert for brekkie, but I'm not sure if that's for everyone in the room or just the Gold/Plat member.

Cheers.

dayone Aug 7, 2012 1:16 pm

I think that there might be another thread on this.

sorka Aug 7, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 15012998)
Quick trip with the family in a few weeks. The City Center appears to be nicer. Is it a lot nicer? How are the indoor pools? It's a family trip. Any thoughts comparing the two?

I stayed at the Downtown for ~ 6months (mon-thur) and the City Center for 1.5 year. In my opinion, the City Center is better and newer (more light, better gym). Also during the summer they had free concert at the Gullivan Plaza and liked to go when I liked the band.

graupel22 Aug 7, 2012 3:30 pm

I have no idea where University Park is, but it's the only one that provides brekkie coupons when the lounge is closed.
University Park is about 2 miles away, up the hill by the University of Utah in their Research Park area; it's a mellow hotel back against the mountains, a former Ute Basketball coach lived in a suite there for a bunch of years.

ljknecht570 Aug 7, 2012 10:15 pm

We live in Utah--We love the University park one because of the free breakfast on weekends for golds and plats. It is a large hotel. Good pool. Has an atrium feel to it so you can see the outdoors. Free Parking. It only takes about 10 minutes to get downtown.

ual1k Aug 8, 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by graupel22 (Post 15015230)
The City Center has a very nice gym and is (in my opinion) just a bit nicer than the average FS Marriott - it's nothing amazing but definitely better than average. It has a Starbucks as well.

I stayed at the City Center about 3 months ago and the Starbucks had been closed. The downtown Marriott does have a Starbucks.

McGoogles Aug 8, 2012 8:45 pm

University has best location for outdoorsy, City Center has the "city" stuff that Salt Lake offers. One of the two based on your requirements.

apodo77 Aug 8, 2012 8:54 pm

Not a fan of either one and outside of our home office location (where I don't have a choice) SLC is the one city I have switched to the Hyatt Place.

Brand new, Cheaper and in a good location.

If you are using Gold Passport as a secondary program I would recommend.

Sorry to go off topic as I think both are underwhelming for the price. :p