Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel Contact information

The email address (as of April, 2019) to contact the hotel concierge in advance of your stay is: [email protected]
They can help make restaurant reservations, etc.
This is not on the website.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Originally Posted by Rossello321
Being that it´s your first time in the area, and being that (I find) the St. Regis is KIX´s best property...yes, it´s worth the premium. ^
Haven't stayed at the Sheraton in Osaka, but the ST.R was one of my all-time favorite hotels. Great location, amenities, and service!
Old May 4, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
How does this compare to the Sheraton?
I have three upcoming nights in Osaka.

I have an approved BRG claim at the Sheraton. Would book two rooms there at a rate of 9,225 JPY per night per room (including taxes/service charge).

I just sent in a BRG claim for the St. Regis as well, and if it gets approved, the rate would be set to about 26,800 JPY per night including taxes/service charge.

So we're looking at about 160 USD vs. 240 USD per night, for 2 people.
I don't mind sharing the room, but would of course "lose" 1 stay/3 nights for requalification.

I have SPG Platinum status. Is the St. Regis worth the premium?
It's our first time in the area.
Thanks!
May I ask, why are you thinking of getting two rooms at the Sheraton, but only one at SR? The SR is a great hotel, one of my favorite in the system, but upgrades to suites are fairly rare. IMO, a sub-$100 rate at the Sheraton is a good deal these days, but if you can afford the $250-ish rate at SR, you're obviously getting a much better hotel.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Because the rooms at the Sheraton are so cheap I'd like to use the opportunity to get closer to renewing my Platinum status as my friend will be paying for his own accommodation.
I also read that it's very hard to get upgrades at the Sheraton.
The St. Regis is so expensive that two separate rooms aren't really an interesting option.

To those of you who love the SR Osaka so much: Have you stayed at other SR properties? Is it also great compared to other SR hotels?
I just stayed at the SR in Bangkok, Langkawi and Kuala Lumpur and loved it. But I also read that the one in Osaka is quite small and doesn't even have a pool (not that we'd be likely to use it, I just think it's a bit strange for a SR not to have one...).

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
How does this compare to the Sheraton?
I have three upcoming nights in Osaka.

I have an approved BRG claim at the Sheraton. Would book two rooms there at a rate of 9,225 JPY per night per room (including taxes/service charge).

I just sent in a BRG claim for the St. Regis as well, and if it gets approved, the rate would be set to about 26,800 JPY per night including taxes/service charge.

So we're looking at about 160 USD vs. 240 USD per night, for 2 people.
I don't mind sharing the room, but would of course "lose" 1 stay/3 nights for requalification.

I have SPG Platinum status. Is the St. Regis worth the premium?
It's our first time in the area.
Thanks!

They are both great hotels at those price points you mentioned. I'd lean towards St Regis at that price, just because $240 is extremely low for it.
People like to dump on the sheraton osaka but i think it's in an extremely convenient location with plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. I barely stay in my hotel, so i'd lean towards the sheraton, especially i like to maximize my stays/nights to accrue status, and spend my money somewhere in the city instead.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Because the rooms at the Sheraton are so cheap I'd like to use the opportunity to get closer to renewing my Platinum status as my friend will be paying for his own accommodation.
I also read that it's very hard to get upgrades at the Sheraton.
The St. Regis is so expensive that two separate rooms aren't really an interesting option.

To those of you who love the SR Osaka so much: Have you stayed at other SR properties? Is it also great compared to other SR hotels?
I just stayed at the SR in Bangkok, Langkawi and Kuala Lumpur and loved it. But I also read that the one in Osaka is quite small and doesn't even have a pool (not that we'd be likely to use it, I just think it's a bit strange for a SR not to have one...).

Thanks!
One of the best in the entire system, i believe so.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
One of the best in the entire system, i believe so.
I've only stayed at about a dozen SR properties, but SRO is one of my favorites. The one caveat is that suite upgrades aren't all that common.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jpdx
I've only stayed at about a dozen SR properties, but SRO is one of my favorites. The one caveat is that suite upgrades aren't all that common.
Me too. (Currently just 8 establisments - Bangkok, Singapore, Osaka, Washington D.C., Princeville, Bal Harbour, Rome, Florence)

Actually i have upcoming stay at st. regis san francisco in next couple of days but decided to cancel it and booked at the ritz carlton instead (found very attractive and much lower rate there through marriott brg claim.)

I hope many more to come later this year. (Maybe, Kuala Lumpur, Macau and New York)

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; May 4, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you for your feedback.

My BRG claim was approved and I've canceled the Sheraton.
Looking forward to staying at the St. Regis Osaka!
Old May 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Seems like there's no C&P rates available at all.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
No C&P on my dates either.

What's the best way getting to Itami from this hotel at 6am? Seems very complicated when I checked google. Unfortunately my NH flight needs to goto Narita and not Haneda the same morning for an connection so Kansai is off the list.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
No C&P on my dates either.

What's the best way getting to Itami from this hotel at 6am? Seems very complicated when I checked google. Unfortunately my NH flight needs to goto Narita and not Haneda the same morning for an connection so Kansai is off the list.
I'm not sure how early the Limousine bus operates but you can take a Taxi to Osaka City Air Terminal (OCAT) and take the Limousine bus from there. Better google and check the schedule. The Limousine buses operates from a few locations in Osaka. I like staying at the Sheraton Miyako due to direct limousine buses to both ITM and KIX.

I see what you mean, there are no NH flights on the KIX-NRT route.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Great Hard Product, Lousy Soft

The St Regis Osaka

Map| 7 Reviews | 71% Recommended

The St Regis Osaka

3-6-12 Honmachi Chuo-ku Osaka, JP 5410053

Great Hard Product, Lousy Soft (24 Photos)

The St Regis Osaka

I stayed here a while back for two nights, but finally getting around to writing this. Overall, great hard product, lousy soft product.

Check In

Check-in was one of the smoothest experiences I had with staff. As I was staying on an FHR rate, I attempted to check in an hour early, but unfortunately there was a bit of a wait. About half an hour later, I was in my room. Overall, quite pleasant even though I wasn't able to get out into the city as quickly as I would have liked. Like the service I recevied throughout my stay though, there was nothing proactive. 

20170810_144910.jpg

20170810_150406.jpg

Room

The room was splendid. Although I was upgraded into a smoking room (non-smoking is my preference, but they had allocated me this room and were unwilling to switch me), the room itself was large, and beautiful. Everything was controlled via electronic controls, with blackout curtains and other small adjustments which really made the place feel like mine for my stay.

20170810_151923.jpg

20170810_151926.jpg

20170810_151930.jpg

20170810_151941.jpg

20170810_151945.jpg

20170810_151955.jpg

20170810_151957.jpg

20170810_152002.jpg

20170810_152007.jpg

20170810_152014.jpg

20170810_152127.jpg

There was also a "butler box" which is a compartment that the staff was able to leave items in, without having to interact directly with the guests. It was a secure place to leave a newspaper or pressed clothes while the guest is out of their room.

20170810_162307.jpg

20170810_162329.jpg

20170811_054447.jpg

Service

The service was quite pitiful. While the reception staff was pleasant enough, the Butler team was condescending and sometimes outright rude. After being led to my room, I inquired about the complimentary coffee service which bhrubin mentioned. In response, I was told that I could pay for coffee if I wanted some. At no time during my stay was the complimentary pressing mentioned to me.

After re-reading some threads I had created prior to my trip, and double-checking the literature in the room, I was able to enjoy the coffee service and pressing on the second day. 

I was also able to call and request the Financial Times on the second day. While the Conrad in Tokyo was proactive in offering a newspaper, the St. Regis made no mention until I had to phone and ask. It's a small matter in the grand scheme of things, but still somewhat annoying.

Dining

The brunch spread was fantastic in depth, but no dish stood out to me. Breakfast comes with the option of one hot dish, so I opted for my usual eggs benedict, but the whole affair was nothing special. After trying it once, I would skip breakfast at the hotel.

20170811_065232.jpg

20170811_065237.jpg

20170811_065241.jpg

20170811_065244.jpg

20170811_065846.jpg

I was also able to enjoy lunch at the Italian restaurant, La Veduta. Although I did not make a reservation in advance (it got surprisingly busy later in the day), they were able to accomodate me right as they opened. The food was nice, but again, not particularly flavorful. The pasta carbonara, which I was particularly looking forward to, was undercooked. The lamb was fine. Thankfully, it was covered by my FHR credit, so it wasn't really my loss.

20170812_115855.jpg

20170812_121610.jpg

The highlight of dining on this property was actually their curry. It was great comfort food, and perfectly hit the spot after a long day. The spectacular presentation was the cherry on top.

20170811_202731.jpg

The St. Regis Osaka is located just across the street from Hommachi Station, so it's easy to access the Midosuji line (and thus get to the rest of Osaka). Kyoto is also an easy trip away. The area itself is about halfway between Osaka Station and Namba Station, and a ~10-15 minute walk to Dotonbori. The location really can't be beat.

Overall

Overall, I don't think you get what you pay for here. The location is probably one of the best in Osaka, and the hotel facilities really are beautiful. But the staff makes you feel unwelcome, and that makes for a less than pleasant hotel experience. The food, if it's a consideration, isn't very good, but there is plenty of good food in walking distance. 

Great Hard Product, Lousy Soft

Would you like to write a review on the The St Regis Osaka?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the report, @Beltway2A, though I confess to being quite surprised by some of your assessments!

It seems very odd that your butlers didn't know about complimentary coffee/tea service...and then you mention how you got it from the next day on. So there was a change or resolution? Was there perhaps a language issue?

It also seems odd that you found the butlers to be rude. In Japan, of all places, where everyone is famous for being exceedingly polite. Was language again perhaps an issue?

You also seem pretty harsh on the food, which looked pretty good to me in photos. Reviews of the hotel breakfast and especially La Veduta restaurant are exceedingly high throughout FT and on TripAdvisor, too. Something seems amiss?

Sorry you weren't so impressed by the butler service or the hotel. I'm still looking forward to ending our Japan trip with 3 nights here in May.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks for the report, @Beltway2A, though I confess to being quite surprised by some of your assessments!

It seems very odd that your butlers didn't know about complimentary coffee/tea service...and then you mention how you got it from the next day on. So there was a change or resolution? Was there perhaps a language issue?

It also seems odd that you found the butlers to be rude. In Japan, of all places, where everyone is famous for being exceedingly polite. Was language again perhaps an issue?
Thanks for the reply @bhrubin. As to your surprise, that makes two of us! Especially after so many excellent reviews, I was disappointed. I've never experienced anything quite like it during my visits to Japan, and on this particular trip this property really paled in comparison to the Conrad in Tokyo.

As to the coffee issue, I'm not really sure what happened. It's quite possible that it was a miscommunication. When I called down the next day, they had no qualms about the coffee service, the newspaper, or the pressing. I wonder perhaps whether there was a difference in training between the staff members working one day versus the other.

Another possible explanation is that I may not have looked the part of the typical StR guest (it was my first visit to one). I was coming off a detour through Hakone, and was traveling in casual clothes with just a backpack and duffel bag. I doubt that's the reason, but maybe worth mentioning. I had no issues communicating in Japanese or English through my stay, so a language issue is possible, but unlikely.

You also seem pretty harsh on the food, which looked pretty good to me in photos. Reviews of the hotel breakfast and especially La Veduta restaurant are exceedingly high throughout FT and on TripAdvisor, too. Something seems amiss?
I think my review of the food may have been unduly harsh. There was nothing wrong with it, I just don't think it was me. Aside from the one issue with the carbonara, the food was perfectly fine, but I wasn't impressed by anything. So much of this is based on one's individual palate, but the sauces were too rich for my taste. The concierge was able to recommend some wonderful local restaurants though, so I think I'll edit my review to emphasize the availability of delicious local food, compared to what is available at the hotel.

Sorry you weren't so impressed by the butler service or the hotel. I'm still looking forward to ending our Japan trip with 3 nights here in May.
I wish you all the best. I was hoping to love this hotel, and I'm disappointed it didn't pan out. I do hope you (and others) have a better experience than I did, the rooms and location really are a delight.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:07 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Another possible explanation is that I may not have looked the part of the typical StR guest (it was my first visit to one). I was coming off a detour through Hakone, and was traveling in casual clothes with just a backpack and duffel bag. I doubt that's the reason, but maybe worth mentioning. I had no issues communicating in Japanese or English through my stay, so a language issue is possible, but unlikely.
No. Just no. That never would be or should be a valid excuse for any luxury hotel. If it makes you feel better, we tend to be extremely casual and walk around often in shorts and sandals (since I'm always so hot). And woe be onto any luxury hotel that tries to treat me any less well as a result. I arrived at the Hotel Imperial in Vienna in shorts and sandals. I arrived at the StR Rome in shorts and sandals. (I did arrive in Paris at the Prince de Galles in long pants, but Paris is the only city that makes me dress a bit better.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.