Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel Contact information

The email address (as of April, 2019) to contact the hotel concierge in advance of your stay is: [email protected]
They can help make restaurant reservations, etc.
This is not on the website.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:55 am

Thanks for the photos! But the room looks really small -- I hope the room does not feel that way in person.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by kenzoathome
I reckon there aren't too many of FT readers stayed the property yet. So let me share some of the pictures I have taken during my recent stay at this property.

I was offered those benefits described by other posts but I tend to think it is almost impossible to use all the items stucked in the mini bar unless the guests intended to drink all of them.

We only had 2 bottles of mineral water and a half size champagne. Rest of the items were untouched.

More pictures on the album will be added shortly.
And I will try to add some comments in English.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/gellykenny-hotels/

Kenzo~san...another great guided tour of the St R Osaka. You, Yasuki & jhm are amazing in detail...almost feel like I already stayed there.
Your pics and English descriptions were very clear.

Was your Taiwanese butler's name Violet? I hope she will be our's too (helping us with planning some museum visits etc ).

* looks like the minibar will get me through the first night stay

Last edited by Barefootdr; Dec 4, 2010 at 10:14 am
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Nice job. Keep it coming.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:24 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I am staying at this hotel now using free weekend nights.
My room is the corner room and it felt narrow, but not too small.
There are two double beds with corner small sofa.
Nice bathroom with view window and TV/double sink/separate shower.
I asked that mini bar was included as the benefits of Platinum, and they said YES.
There was a coffee maker by Nespresso.
We have two choice of restaurants for breakfast(also as the benefit of Platinum) because it is on weekend. Only one choice if it is on weekdays.
I will try both so I will report it later.

So far everything is satisfactory.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:34 am

Domo Tak~san...nice to hear about 2 places to choose between for breakfast.

jhm reported on breakfast buffet in the Italian Restaurant, so if you have a chance to check out the other (French bistro) it will be appreciated, as I'll be staying there long enough to experience both places.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:36 pm
Tak

I had breakfast at 12 Fl Italian restaurant this morning.
I chose buffet and my wife chose Japanese Bento set.
Breakfast selection is not great compared to SGS BKK/Westin Chosun or even Westin Tokyo.
However, each item(vegitables/eggs) is carefully selected(good quality).
I asked Fried eggs and the eggs were quite good.
Bakery was good, too.

I asked my wife about Japanese Bento and she said it was OK, but well displayed.

In the room, body shower was very comfortable and good!
I wished the bathtub had some kind of pillow to reluxe and watch TV comfortablly.
I will report it to GM when I check out.

I will make sure again that the minibar is included as the benefit of platinum members since OP was denied it.

Tomorrow morning, I will try french bistro breakfast.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:54 pm

will check back tomorrow for your other breakfast update update. Nice to hear about the bento choice as well & your recheck about minibar.
Once again, domo Tak!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:56 am
Tak

We tried French Bistro yesterday.
It was mini buffet with egg order from our table.
There are two selections of egg:

1. Foiegras Omelette with Truffe souce
2. Poached Egg(just one piece) with Caviar on top

Also, you can ask for small salad and orange/grapefruit juice.

On buffet table, you can find several kinds of ham and French Pastries as well as several yogurts and fruits.

You do not see wide selections compared to other asian hotel buffets.

Some people might not like it because of a lack of choices, but I felt it is good enough as the breakfast.
Not many breakfast include Caviar/Foiegras(if, only if you like them???)
I do not know they have any substitution for a person who can not eat eggs.
Also, I am not sure that table order items are changing every weekend.

Anyway, it you stay more than 2 weekend days, you should try both Italian/French.

AS for Mini bar, I only consumed Diet Cokes.
On the second day, there were no replacement of Coke, maybe because I put my own drinks inside.
I asked at Front desk about replacement and new cokes arrived within 5 minutes and it was no charge.
I am not sure about wine/any alcohol items.

I personally asked the front desk people about the location.
According to them, Osaka hotel market is different from Tokyo hotel market so St. Regis is aiming for business clients rather than tourists.
Therefore, this location is not bad at all.

I do also like the location.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:34 am

Tak~san

Nice share- DOMO. Egg choices sound really appealing. And thank you again for double checking about the minbar benefit for Plats.

Now, if only during my stay they will offer these eggs "Benedict" style with black forrest ham covered in a foie gras hollandaise sauce topped off with caviar....
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:51 pm
Tak

Just before I checked out, I requested to see Deluxe(41sqm) and Grand Deluxe(51sqm).
The deluxe room twin is quite small as the St. Regis brand.
The grand Deluxe king is spacious with sofa.
You may be disappointed if you get just deluxe room.
The premier Grand Deluxe(where I stayed) is 46sqm so it is not as spacious as grand deluxe, but it has a nice view bathroom with separate shower.

If the size is important, you should choose Grand Deluxe(maybe only king bed).
If you need a comfortable bathroom, you should choose Premier Grand Deluxe(maybe two double beds only).

Unfortunately, I could not see the suite on that day.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Can you please comment on the cost of taxi from SR to Namba Station? Looks like the rap:t does not run so often. Did you have any issues with timing? Thanks.

Originally Posted by jhm
Some more info from my two night paid stay there.

Namba station is only a few minutes by taxi up Midosuji (the road next to the hotel) so on an early Sunday morning and with a ticket bought the day before, I got into a taxi at 7:45 and was sitting on the Nankai rap:t train at 8:00 for KIX. I asked about a taxi when I was checking out but 5 minutes later (when I went downstairs) they were still trying to flag one down so best to allow some time for this.

I had the (free) breakfast twice in the Italian restaurant "La Veduta" (situated on the 12th floor along with the St Regis bar and the hotel reception). To be honest, the selection was disappointing (which is not always the case in Japan - the Westin Tokyo's free buffet breakfast is amazing and one of the best I've come across anywhere in the world) and the Ritz Carlton Osaka's is better. I could order tea/coffee and egg dishes from a server. The buffet had no Japanese items at all. The highlight (!) probably is an Italian prosciutto which you can ask them to carve you a few slices of. There's also a cold Italian risotto - it's served inside a hollowed out parmigiano reggiano wheel from which you help yourself - a bit unusual and I hate to think how hygienic (or not) it may be once lots of people have used it.

I also had dinner in the Italian restaurant one night. I had the full works (a la carte), i.e. antipasti (Livornese fish stew), primo (pumpkin and gorgonzola risotto), secondo (scallop raviolo), secondo (the daily grill special - Japanese chicken) and dolce (tiramisu) along with a glass of wine for each which came to about 28,000 Yen. The food was actually much better than I expected (except the grilled Japanese chicken was very dry) but everything came very slowly (so much so that the waiters were coming by to apologise for the delay). An amuse bouche which I forget now; bread (apparently made by them although it was boring) and olive oil; and grissini (which was nice). A friendly and chatty international staff. Jackets apparently required for dinner (not unusual in Japan).

I didn't try the other restaurant - Rue d'Or (a French brasserie located on street level) - which I think is downmarket compared to the Italian. Beforehand, I'd e-mailed the hotel (on the above e-mail address) and asked them to send me the menus for both restaurants.

I had drinks in the St Regis bar a few times (located next to the rooftop garden). It's too large (cavernous comes to mind) and soulless for my personal liking.

I also used the concierge when asking at reception for a dinner booking that night. Nothing exceptional to note.

On checkout, they tried to charge me as a plat for broadband (1,900 Yen per day per device) which they immediately removed once I pointed it out. However, they didn't charge me for my laundry (two shirts plus dry cleaning of a jacket) and when I pointed this out (I showed them the laundry receipt), I was told this was complimentary ? Perhaps they got it mixed up with the complimentary pressing of two items on check-in.

On writing this, I suddenly remembered that my booking had a 5,000 Yen credit which they didn't mention at all at check-in. I had to phone and ask about it - they confirmed it after taking a while to check and then call me back. It hasn't been reflected at all on my bill so I will write to them to ask about it (and also about the missing plat 500 point amenity).

I had the pleasure of meeting fumitani (a local here on FT) and I agree with him that the property is in a strange location (the business district) for a newly built hotel. The Hilton, Swissotel and Nikko are in much better locations for a tourist.

The St Regis is definitely a better hotel than the Westin but also correspondingly much more expensive. Its location is better than the Westin and the Imperial; but compared to the Ritz Carlton and the St Regis, the Imperial has a much more Japanese feel to it (if - like me - you prefer that sort of thing). Apart from SPG points, location perhaps and the St Regis having the feel of a smaller hotel, I can't say that I felt more comfortable at the St Regis compared to the (much cheaper) Imperial. So for my next stay in Osaka in December, I'm currently undecided.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:49 pm

From SR to Wakayama?

Thanks for the transport information. I may want to visit Wakayama Pref and was told by associate accessible from Namba aka Swissotel area. Can I please have a route idea from the SR? Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:22 am
jhm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Can you please comment on the cost of taxi from SR to Namba Station? Looks like the rap:t does not run so often. Did you have any issues with timing?
I can't remember the cost but at the time I took it it was just 5-minute ride down a straight road to Namba. I already had a ticket and have taken the train before so it was fine for me to leave at 7:45am on Sunday to catch the 8am train. Train times here:

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/a...nkai_time.html
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:51 am

Thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: NH DIA/SFC
Originally Posted by Tak
I wished the bathtub had some kind of pillow to reluxe and watch TV comfortablly.
Just by the bathtub found a rolled-up towel besides those hanged on the rack, which I suppose they're suggesting us to use as a pillow (maybe?)

I loved the quality of their "sewing kit" that comes with chic-colored ready-to-sew threads with needles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.