FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1124245-waikoloa-beach-marriott-kona-hawaii-master-thread.html)

qlabdad Oct 4, 2006 12:02 am

We stayed at the Marriott and spent some time at the Hilton, the kids did Dolphin Quest. I agree the Marriott is a better location for the beach. Sea turtles, snorkling, etc are a short walk away. Rooms are renovated but just average size. If you like a quiet place the Marriott is the way to go although a wing was closed when we were there so I'm assuming once back up to speed it may be busier. The Hilton is very different. It's huge, is a small city and has a Disney like tram. It's very beautiful with lots to do but very different than the Marriott. The pool areas were loud with a lot of stuff going on. just due to the number of people. They do have van shuttles that take you between the hotels. Although they are next to each other it's a long walk.

ExecPlatinum_Lord Oct 4, 2006 2:56 am

Onsite - Waikoloa (30 Sep - 7 Oct) - Update

Just a short note to let folks know what's happening at the Marriott - especially with regards to the construction.

We arrived Sunday afternoon - and after a few puzzling moments trying to figure out where to park for check-in (they have a temporary Valet spot (going on 5+ months now) near the Tennis courts where one pulls in for Valet. If you drive 40 feet further -- there's the self-park lot available.

Self parking is Free if you have the resort daily package ($15/day) - which includes 2 free drinks, 1/2 day snorkel rental, 1 hour tennis court, free internet (the best part of the deal), and something about a free kids meal with an adult meal, or 1/2 off (didn't pay attention to this part as we have no curtain climbers in our party :-) ).

We were comp'd the $15/day resort fee at check-in (due to Premier status - or so we were told; not sure how true it is -- as we're on an award stay 130K points - which specifically states the resort fee is waived).

One note on the internet – it’s flakey. Keeps coming up with “page not found”; for known websites (i.e Flyertalk!). One has to be persistent and keeping submitting the page request at times. It’s the same whether we choose public or private IP addess’s (you get a choice when you power up ur laptop and connect to the web). Another fluke – unable to connect to our corporate VPN. Well – I’m on vacation… but still – it’s mentally less stressful when I can at least skim my email and ensure there are no fires going on back home… ;-)

Checked into our wonderfully upgraded room - one of the Royal Suites (1 bedroom + living room + dining room + small kitchen/buffet area) -- very nice and comfortable. One of the towers is still closed as room renovations continue. (we are in the Kamehameha towers.)

Two small beef's about the remodeled room. The padded bedframe and clock radio. I can't tell you the # of times I've bumped my shin on the padded bed frame. It's deceptive visually -- and when rounding the corner to take my side of the bed - WHAMMO - I hit my shin again. Got a nice bruise forming now. As for the clock radio - it's a simple basic one - but there's no apparent backlight on the display. Even in daylight one has to squint to read the #'s -- forget about it in the dark. I've taken a cursory look at the settings and there appears to be no hi/med/lo light setting. Not major complaints.

The bed is WONDERFUL - nice soft body forming comforter. For work I usually haunt the Courtyards; been a few months since I stayed at FS Marriott - and these Revive (r) beds are nice!

The old lower level restaurant is closed for remodeling - breakfast is served on the upper level "Hawaii Calls" restaurant. The poor staff have to run up and down the stairs to fetch each order - as the kitchen remained downstairs during the remodel.

Unlike the other Hawaii Marriott's - this property does not offer the "unlimited drink cups". You're able to buy for $20 or so (used to be $13- showing my age here) - and I believe on the other others islands the price is in the $20's now). These plastic 20 or 30 oz mugs with lids could be refilled with coffee, orange juice, tea, soda etc... throughout your stay (and in theory - for the entire calendar year - should you return). A small investment that works out well for those staying longer than 2-3 days.

Forgot to mention - when you arrive at the makeshift valet parking area - you come in a well marked pathway to the Registration desk (a small cubby tucked in a hallway next to the sundry shop). Feels like sneaking in through the employee entrance!

When we arrived Sunday - there were NO trade winds -- making for a hot, sticky and quite uncomfortable feeling for most of the day - made worse by having to stand in line for close to 20 min's to check in (only one clerk was on duty).

But - I digress... back to the good stuff.

For the remodel - they're adding (or increasing the size) of the ballroom, updating the Spa, expanding the restaurant area - and putting in a "tranquility swimming pool". They also mention that one of the pools will become adult only (a nice change). Not sure if it's the new one, or one of the old ones that will be flagged adult. I'm guessing the new one -- as the old one as the sandy wading pool area - perfect for the little tykes to romp in.

I was also informed by Marty (a nice grandmotherly lady who works the AM breakfast shift at the Restaurant) -- that there will be a Longhi's restaurant (similar to the one in Lahaina) that will be built in early 2007. Won't be part of the Marriott - but the Marriott will be leasing it's land to them. So we'll have another fine dining opportunity when on-site.

For the 1st two days (Sat/Sun) - no construction was heard - and the hotel is only operating at 30% occupancy -- making for a NICE time pool-side. No competition for the beach chairs (even the coveted 3-4 that have folding awnings to shade the sun. Surprising - there are NO umbrellas in the pool area (we recall the same oddity during our last visit 18 months ago). We thought it was a fluke; but also noticed at the Hilton next door - there are literally no umbrellas for the lounge chairs -- all are in full sunlight. We mentioned to the guest service manager they should reconsider this; as there's only so much sun one can tolerate before wanting to retire for a few hours under a shady umbrellas; and enjoying some nice trade winds!

Speaking of - the trade winds came in on Monday - making for a very nice pool-side session. Spent close to 5 hours there on Mon, and about 3 hours today.

Regarding the construction noise -- they start early. We heard the buzz and tapping of hammers at 7:05 on both Monday and Tuesday (today); they seem to stop work around 2-3pm. But - to be honest - it's not a major distraction; and after awhile - even poolside; the sounds fade away (at least for myself).

They have tarp around the new pool (still being tiled today - 3 Oct), and per the staff - should be finished before December; hopefully sooner.

The tower being remodeled is scheduled to open 30 Oct; (about 2 months behind).

No ETA on the ball room (still has metal skeleton and the walls are being added) - per the Valet staff -- they're targeting that to be complete in early Jan 07.

Otherwise - a nice property; not our favorite (we love, and will miss the old Renaissance on Maui); we're off to the JW in Ko'Olina on Saturday for 2 weeks - and it's become our new favorite hotel.

Off to bed now -- coming up on 11pm here; we're off to Hilo tomorrow to visit some old friends and check out the Big Island Candy company (somehow we missed it last time).

ExecPlatinum_Lord Oct 4, 2006 11:15 pm

*deleted* - Dupe

Renard Oct 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Anyone been here post-earthquake?

Construction update?

Renard Nov 11, 2006 9:09 pm

has anyone been here since the earthquake...is the new pool done yet?

DCdogmom Nov 12, 2006 10:37 am

Just returned from there. New pool not yet open. Lots of FEMA people staying there right now. Hotel was pretty empty. Was told a few cracks from the earthquake. Nice property. We stayed in a "garden view" room which actually was a blessing. Construction noise started early....but we could barely hear it from our room.

Renard Nov 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Thanks for the update....I was there the first week in January when they first started excavating for the pool. I head out there in a week. I figured it would be done by the time I got there...but when I was there the last time a staff member told me that the renovations were going a lot more slowly than planned. The earthquake couldn't have helped their schedule.

GeorgeBurdell Jan 4, 2007 7:56 am

Bump

Any updates? I'm especially interested in the pool construction.

Some comments on another travel review site that construction would not be done until June '07...

Renard Jan 4, 2007 11:28 pm

As of thanksgiving, the pool was not done. My guess is that it might be close to being done by now. I would just give them a call and ask.

I am sure that the construction out front is still going full blast. I wasn't loud at all out front.

I didn't find the construction out front to be too much of an annoyance. The pool construction area was a little more annoying...not too loud but just made it more difficult to navigate around the back with the areas blocked off by the pool.

I still enjoyed my stay there despite the contstruction. If you got a decent deal, it is well worth it. I would probably choose another place if it was some type of honeymoon or something that you wanted to be perfect in every way.

freeupgrade Jan 7, 2007 12:48 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell (Post 6948961)
Any updates? I'm especially interested in the pool construction.

Some comments on another travel review site that construction would not be done until June '07...

This has got to be one of the slowest construction crews in history - everything (and I mean ALL rennovations - were supposed to be done by fall '06).

Renard Jan 7, 2007 11:40 pm

I was told by a staff member there that part of the problem was the pool construction was an initial design flaw. They ended up having to get a new contractor to do the pool... and hence part of the slowdown

freeupgrade Jan 8, 2007 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 6972429)
I was told by a staff member there that part of the problem was the pool construction was an initial design flaw. They ended up having to get a new contractor to do the pool... and hence part of the slowdown

sounds like my comment above is right on target..

qlabdad Jan 9, 2007 11:54 am

Several managers at the hotel told me they have a labor shortage on the Big Island that contributed to the problem. Who knows what the real story is but if I didn't know any better I would guess they ran out of money for the property.
We were there for 5 days in August with virtually no work being done at all on the pool and almost noting on the ballroom. That was a good thing since the cosntruction was a non issue which was a concern of ours. Would love to see it when it's done...

GeorgeBurdell Feb 6, 2007 8:34 pm

Cabana rooms

Any one with any feedback on the cabana rooms? There's an M11/M12 elite rate available now. It appears that they just finished updating that building. Was curious about them.

sixsixsixtynine Feb 14, 2007 8:10 pm

Just got back from 4 days at Waikoloa, 09-12 Feb. The porte cochere opened on Monday, although I found the temp. entrance to be more useful, LOL. Only renovation left aside from some landscaping is a ballroom still under construction. Nice property. Note: While the King's Shops is fine as a boutique mall goes, for real groceries there's a KTA store only six miles up the road in Waikoloa Village.