Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking cash and/or award stays for someone else General Discussion Thread

Booking cash and/or award stays for someone else General Discussion Thread

Old Jul 3, 18, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, that's what I've typically done. They usually send me a revised reservation confirmation with the actual guests' names, still redeemed with my points.

That's a bit safer then just adding the names as additional guests to the reservation - properties may have issues if you're the primary name on the reservation and you don't appear. It hasn't happened to me, but I was checking in a few months ago but they wouldn't allow someone to check in without the primary guest, who was supposedly a few hours from arriving.
Old Jul 4, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Yes, that's what I've typically done. They usually send me a revised reservation confirmation with the actual guests' names, still redeemed with my points.

That's a bit safer then just adding the names as additional guests to the reservation - properties may have issues if you're the primary name on the reservation and you don't appear. It hasn't happened to me, but I was checking in a few months ago but they wouldn't allow someone to check in without the primary guest, who was supposedly a few hours from arriving.
Especially if it is a foreign location where they need to check passports against the reservation. I recently ran into this with a reservation in Prague for my sister's family, but the hotel reached out ahead of time to make sure everything was right. This has been an issue for reservations for others in Thailand and China, too. Other than that it's easy and common to make rewards reservations for other people. For awhile it was my standard wedding gift; five nights at a hotel.

I have always been clear that I will not be there, but the hotels have usually extended lounge access to my family members who are staying on my points. The Prague Sheraton did this for the aforementioned stay which was just a couple weeks ago. It is not a requirement, and I have never asked, but it has been extended several times.
Old Jul 5, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Okay, I called and they changed the reservation to my wife's name. However on the web under my reservation it says "Hotel rewards e-certificates can only be requested by a Marriott Rewards member for a reservation in that member's own name. E-certificates will not be honored if the names on the reservation and the e-certificate do not match. For information about redeeming points as a "gift" in another's name, please contact Marriott Rewards Customer Service."

Is this something I should worry about, or can assume by calling and switching the name I have essentially gifted the stay to my wife?
Old Jul 5, 18, 1:06 pm

Points? No problem. A cc cert or MegaBonus cert cannot be transferred and that is where you would have a problem. But if you are using your points there will be no issue.
Old Jul 5, 18, 4:13 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Yes, its points. Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 18, 4:55 pm

Also note that 7N/5N Cert from Travel Package allows transfer, too. (Same like using points). Only exception is cc cert or MegaBonus cert, as mentioned above.
Old Jul 6, 18, 5:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tonywush View Post
Also note that 7N/5N Cert from Travel Package allows transfer, too. (Same like using points). Only exception is cc cert or MegaBonus cert, as mentioned above.
Tonywush is correct, but I wanted to clarify that only the hotel cert within a TP award is transferable. The airline miles/points will go to the account with the same name as the Marriott account the MR points came from. So if you want the airline miles put into someone else's account you must go through the Marriott point transfer process first.
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:59 am

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Question Can I use my Marriott points if I don't stay myself?

I booked a room for my wife and daughter using my points & cash. There doesn't seem to be a way to put her name into the reservation, and the terms on the booking page seemed ambiguous. I had to be the person making the booking, but not stating definitively I have to stay.

I would have thought this would be OK, but wanted to check.

Thanks FTers!
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:40 am
alc

Yes you can use for your points for others to stay at the hotel without you. Call reservation and have their names listed as the Guest Names. What I normally do also is contact the hotel via email and get a reply from the hotel that everything js fine. If they have problem checking-in with some less knowledgealbe staff, they can just show that email.
Old Aug 2, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott, Choice, IHG, Hertz FiveStar,
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post
I booked a room for my wife and daughter using my points & cash. There doesn't seem to be a way to put her name into the reservation, and the terms on the booking page seemed ambiguous. I had to be the person making the booking, but not stating definitively I have to stay.

Thanks FTers!
You should also call the hotel the reservation is at and make sure that there are no issues. There shouldn't be, but the quick call could ensure smooth sailing.

Last edited by Staley Cornell; Aug 2, 18 at 1:39 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 2, 18, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post

Thanks FTers!
Absolutely ok. As suggested do contact the property after booking to confirm they understand (and they should). DO NOT expect your status benefits to be granted as that should not happen. However, many properties will, especially if they think it's a special trip (maybe school visit or the such).
Old Aug 3, 18, 3:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Marriott rules specifically allow for this and Iíve done it twice. As a U.K. citizen itís important when redeeming in USA as the passport in the name on the reservation is required on checkin and Iíve found in maybe 50 American hotel checkins that this is always required, without fail. Both times Iíve redeemed for the wife, they tell me where they want to stay, Iíve then made sure thereís redemption availability, then called the Plat line and reserved the hotel asking that the reservation is in the wifeís name. No problems in checkin! I might add both times the hotels concerned extended full platinum benefits to my wife throughout the stays, even though they donít have to.
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
Marriott rules specifically allow for this and Iíve done it twice. As a U.K. citizen itís important when redeeming in USA as the passport in the name on the reservation is required on checkin and Iíve found in maybe 50 American hotel checkins that this is always required, without fail.
As a US citizen I have run into this in making points redemption reservations in Prague, Shanghai and Bangkok where you run the risk your relatives/friends will be turned away if the names and the reservations do not match the passports.

I recently made a reservation for family at the Prague Sheraton via telephone on a night when we were making many reservations via conference call. It was getting late so my sister dropped off the call before we were asked for the specific information, which may have included the passport numbers. I promised the phone agent that if we made the reservation we would call back the next night with the specifics so the reservation was made. Before we could call back the next day the hotel manager sent me an email letting me know without that information the reservation would need to be canceled. They were not playing around on this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:43 am
formerly samwilliams88

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Reservation for Someone Else

Hi All
First time poster on the Marriot/SPG forum.
I have just made a reservation for a colleague to stay at the San Matao Marritot, as he does not have a credit card with enough limit for his stay, I am booking it for him with his name on the reservation.
Now, it does not seem to be a pre-paid rate and will be paid at the end of the trip. Do I need to inform the hotel that It is charged against my card and not his? Or do I need to fill in a Credit Card Authorisation form and send it to them?
He will have a card to put the security deposit on, but the rate needs to go against my card?

Any help on this would be great...
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I have to do with all the time. Contact the hotel to let them know. They'll give you a credit card authorisation form. The form should allow you to specify if the charges on your card are room and taxes only, or room/taxes/deposit etc. It's usually a pretty straight forward process but I have had instances of front desks misplacing the authorisation form and people not being able to check in.

Search this Thread