Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marco Island Marriott, FL [Master Thread]

JW Marco Island Marriott, FL [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 15, 12:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Effective July 7, 2014 Marco Island will have a daily resort fee of $25.

$25 DAILY RESORT FEE INCLUDES
• Enhanced High Speed Internet Access/WiFi ($17)
• Unlimited Domestic Long Distance Calls ($5)
• Unlimited Local Calls
• 2 Bottled Waters Daily ($7)
• Access to resort golf practice facility including range balls & clubs ($35)
• Complimentary Golf Course Shuttle
• 1 Hour Non-Motorized Beach Rentals (water hammock, pedal boats, & kayaks) ($45)
• 1 Beach Umbrella Rental Daily ($25)
• Kids Eat Breakfast Free at Tropik’s buffet when accompanied by adult with purchase (maximum 2 children per family) ($20)
Total Value: $154

The property will close for 3 months: May-July 2015 to start demolition in preparation for the remodel. They are adding another tower and plan to be fully complete by December 2016. When they do reopen they will be re-branded as a JW Marriott.

Timeline:

"May 3 - August 4, 2015 Resort closed; transition begins.
August 5, 2015 - December 31, 2016 Re-opens as the Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort
January 1, 2017 - Debuting as the new JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort"
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 24, 10, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier & Lifetime Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz Gold
Upgrades at Marco Island

I just returned from the Marco Island Marriott yesterday for a weekend stay. I've been Platinum Premier ever since Marriott introduced this level 5 (?) years ago and have always been upgraded at this property to a Suite, even though I have never requested any upgrades here before.

However, on this trip I was traveling with my wife and niece and I requested an upgrade to one of their smaller Suites in advance if one was available. When I arrived I was told that I was upgraded from an ocean view to an ocean front. I thanked them and then asked if they could possibly upgrade me to a Suite since they have numerous Suites and it is their low season. I was told they now have a new policy which limits their upgrades to only "one upgrade level" and if I wanted anything beyond that, the next level would be $149 + tax per night. Yes, I know Plat's and PP's aren't entilted to Suites, but it sure would be a nice gesture to reward customer loyalty, especially when we are on vacation with family and there are vacant Suites available.
Old Aug 25, 10, 8:24 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm tired of people complaining that they don't get extra special treatment above and beyond policy. If you get it without asking, great. But expecting it is a different story. And before the response is 'we weren't expecting it', well why post about it then, obviously there was some expectation. IMO it is unjustified.

My beef is when hotels don't follow policy. The expecatation that hotels should go 'above and beyond' policy creates more confusion and unhappiness among customers than simply being consistent.
Old Aug 25, 10, 8:46 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I'm tired of people complaining that they don't get extra special treatment above and beyond policy. If you get it without asking, great. But expecting it is a different story. And before the response is 'we weren't expecting it', well why post about it then, obviously there was some expectation. IMO it is unjustified.

My beef is when hotels don't follow policy. The expecatation that hotels should go 'above and beyond' policy creates more confusion and unhappiness among customers than simply being consistent.
Then you're on the wrong web site, son
Old Aug 25, 10, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Beerwagon View Post
I just returned from the Marco Island Marriott yesterday for a weekend stay. I've been Platinum Premier ever since Marriott introduced this level 5 (?) years ago and have always been upgraded at this property to a Suite, even though I have never requested any upgrades here before.

However, on this trip I was traveling with my wife and niece and I requested an upgrade to one of their smaller Suites in advance if one was available. When I arrived I was told that I was upgraded from an ocean view to an ocean front. I thanked them and then asked if they could possibly upgrade me to a Suite since they have numerous Suites and it is their low season. I was told they now have a new policy which limits their upgrades to only "one upgrade level" and if I wanted anything beyond that, the next level would be $149 + tax per night. Yes, I know Plat's and PP's aren't entilted to Suites, but it sure would be a nice gesture to reward customer loyalty, especially when we are on vacation with family and there are vacant Suites available.
Well guess that reinforces what the OP encountered & so folk should be aware of the new policy at this property.

BTW - can't remember. Does this property have a lounge, and if so was it open on the weekend & if not, did they provide breakfast certs? Let me know & I'll update the lounge thread.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 10, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier & Lifetime Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz Gold
To answer your questions, the Marco Island Marriott is a resort, thus no CL. No breakfast certs were provided.
Old Aug 25, 10, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post

* In fairness to the 2 who posted of their recent experiences, both have stayed at the property multiple times and always been upgraded. So I don't think it's unreasonable for them based on the multiple stay experiences to hope/expect that might continue - especially since their stays are in 'low season' (high season a dif story).

And I think other FTers will appreciate knowing of the new policy as described in this thread so they can manage their expectations accordingly, whether Silver, Gold, Plat or PP.

BTW - I don't know that people expect hotels to go above & beyond policy, but it's certainly appreciated when they do (and above & beyond can be something other than a room upgrade) & probably garners those properties repeat business vs those who stick to the letter of the policy.

Originally Posted by judolphin View Post
Then you're on the wrong web site, son

Originally Posted by Beerwagon View Post
To answer your questions, the Marco Island Marriott is a resort, thus no CL. No breakfast certs were provided.
Thanks - I forgot this was a resort. I'll see if it's listed in the lounge thread & update w/ the no brekkie certs provided.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 10, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Sharon for standing up for me on this thread over the past few days...I was actually starting to get stomach ulcers when I thought about logging back in to check replies due to some of the venom that was spewing from this thread initially after my post.

I really did go out of my way to keep the tone of my post even and dispassionate. I'll admit my thread title was a bit more provocative and the thumbs down may have been over the top, but I was trying to get some eyes on the post

Some final thoughts -

It should be noted that I don't "expect" the kind of treatment I had previously received so generously at the Marco Marriott from ALL Marriott's. I can say, fairly confidently though that this "above and beyond" treatment (even as a silver) was a key factor in my decision to return to this property year after year.

Even though I don't expect upgrades from other Marriott hotels, it does not stop me from asking. I ask every single time I check in. Why? Because it can't hurt, and the worst they can do is say "no". Sometimes I get a room upgrade, sometimes I get lounge access. Sometimes, I get nothing. I now understand that this upsets a great many of you who have earned those privileges whereas I have not.

Why wouldn't I just select a gulf-front room when booking? Because it was low season and every year for the past 6 or 7 I have been given one for no additional charge. With that kind of history why would I book anything OTHER than the cheapest available rate?! (Note: This kind of thinking may be why they changed the policy )

Finally, glad to see that I'm not the only one who had come to expect availability-based upgrades here (though I may be the only silver!). Based on the other post by BeerWagon, it looks like they still do have some comp upgrades for upper-level elites (although, one time I was there (2008) the front desk told me they gave Plats Lanai Suites based on availability, so, if that tid-bit was true, this new policy is far less generous than their old one).

Thank you all for your input.

Regards,
Matt

By the way, I got a 95 on the paper
Old Aug 26, 10, 7:49 pm

Thanks for checking back in & providing additional feedback in a reasonable tone. And congrats on the 95.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 12, 6:52 am

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
Any changes to upgrade policy?

2012....does the upgrade policy remain the same as it was in 2010?
Old Mar 10, 12, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by traveltoomuch View Post
2012....does the upgrade policy remain the same as it was in 2010?
there has been no change in upgrade policy by MI in years...many many years
Old Mar 10, 12, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta FO
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Soc, that's what he said, but that's not what he's asking.
Old Mar 10, 12, 6:09 pm

It wasn't that "many many" years ago that Marriott changed the upgrade policy from "finest available accomodations" to "finest available accomodations excluding suites."
Old Mar 11, 12, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
Soc, that's what he said, but that's not what he's asking.
There have been no changes since before 2010
Old Mar 11, 12, 6:58 pm

There have been no changes since before 2010
Again, Socrates, your answers appear to be dealing with Marriott Rewards system wide policy on upgrades. Almost certainly, the poster is asking about the theme of this thread, and that is what the Marco Island property actually provides. Indeed the OP, a silver, wasn't even talking about gold/plat upgrades, but about upgrades provided by the front desk, just because he asked nicely or as a repeat non-gold/plat customer.

Last edited by ohmark; Mar 11, 12 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:44 pm

Programs: MR PP/Ambassador, Amex Explat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
Again, Socrates, your answers appear to be dealing with Marriott Rewards system wide policy on upgrades. Almost certainly, the poster is asking about the theme of this thread, and that is what the Marco Island property actually provides. Indeed the OP, a silver, wasn't even talking about gold/plat upgrades, but about upgrades provided by the front desk, just because he asked nicely or as a repeat non-gold/plat customer.
I am PP, stay at the Marco Island Marriott at least 3 times a year, and have done for the last five years, and up until last year, I always managed to get an upgrade to a suite. The last time 2 times I stayed there (late 2011), no suites, but they were available for a price - so, no, it is still the same. I am going in May again, so I'll definately be able to tell you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: