Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marco Island Marriott, FL [Master Thread]

JW Marco Island Marriott, FL [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 15, 12:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Effective July 7, 2014 Marco Island will have a daily resort fee of $25.

$25 DAILY RESORT FEE INCLUDES
• Enhanced High Speed Internet Access/WiFi ($17)
• Unlimited Domestic Long Distance Calls ($5)
• Unlimited Local Calls
• 2 Bottled Waters Daily ($7)
• Access to resort golf practice facility including range balls & clubs ($35)
• Complimentary Golf Course Shuttle
• 1 Hour Non-Motorized Beach Rentals (water hammock, pedal boats, & kayaks) ($45)
• 1 Beach Umbrella Rental Daily ($25)
• Kids Eat Breakfast Free at Tropik’s buffet when accompanied by adult with purchase (maximum 2 children per family) ($20)
Total Value: $154

The property will close for 3 months: May-July 2015 to start demolition in preparation for the remodel. They are adding another tower and plan to be fully complete by December 2016. When they do reopen they will be re-branded as a JW Marriott.

Timeline:

"May 3 - August 4, 2015 Resort closed; transition begins.
August 5, 2015 - December 31, 2016 Re-opens as the Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort
January 1, 2017 - Debuting as the new JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort"
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 21, 10, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta FO
Originally Posted by mapu View Post
If you want an ocean-view room, why not book it in the first place?
One would assume, that like the vast majority, he was not willing to pay the premium. Instead, he was hoping, based on past experience and the low season, that he would receive a comped upgrade. I get the sense that he posted not so much because he didn't receive the upgrade, but because the front desk clerk seemed to pay little attention to his initial request.

Also, there probably was no change in policy. I'm guessing that off-season non-plat/gold comp upgrades were and are at the discretion of the front desk. Instead, it sounds like he drew the short straw with the front desk clerk and on-duty manager.
Old Aug 21, 10, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Thumbs down

So you whined and pouted about not receiving a benefit to which you are not entitled, and made yourself such a p.i.t.a. that you got your way.

I agree, sounds like my kids, many years ago. I'm disappointed that the property caved to such behavior. This is why "self-absorbed elite status jerks" have that reputation.

I'm sure you're proud of yourself though.

Old Aug 21, 10, 11:18 am

If you want upgrades earn them by getting Gold or Plat to this resort for upgrading a silver!
Old Aug 21, 10, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I am not going to complain about not getting an optional elite benefit, but I do tend to be a repeat customer more at properties where I get better treatment and part of that better treatment may sometimes be a complimentary upgrade offered without any nudging on my part.

I agree that what you were told might not actually be a general policy for the hotel, time will tell whether such is the case with the statement about the hotel's new "policy". Once in a while I have run into Guest Services Reps who have a penchant for saying no to any requests (not just room upgrade requests) in a very assertive fashion, these few tend to throw out phrases like "that's never been our policy", that was done "incorrectly" (at the 97 other properties you stayed at), that's "illegal", etc.
Old Aug 22, 10, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by gomike View Post
If you want upgrades earn them by getting Gold or Plat to this resort for upgrading a silver!
From a commercial point of view it is not so stupid to upgrade a Silver rather than a Gold or a Platinum : Silver has to be fidelized.

In Brussels as a lowly Silver I know I can get quite easily upgraded at the local Radisson if upgrades available, but the one time I was at the Marriott as Gold Elite and asked for an upgrade I just got a tiny room one floor down from executive lounge...probably Marriott property did not make a mistake as they know I am hooked to the brand, so they know they don't need to give me any upgrade. In fact I will go back there this year when in Brussels in order to make Platinum.
But with free breakfast free internet and high possibility to be upgraded from Executive room to suite at Brussels Radisson I feel a little stupid (except that I prefer the location of Brussels Marriott).
Old Aug 22, 10, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Exactly. The room upgrade benefit is only for Golds and Plats, not for silvers. Its tough, but I was a silver for many years before I finally made gold and then plat. As a silver I would occasionally ask if a room upgrade was available depending on the property, but I never expected it or whined when it didn't happen.
Old Aug 22, 10, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
One would assume, that like the vast majority, he was not willing to pay the premium. Instead, he was hoping, based on past experience and the low season, that he would receive a comped upgrade. I get the sense that he posted not so much because he didn't receive the upgrade, but because the front desk clerk seemed to pay little attention to his initial request.

Also, there probably was no change in policy. I'm guessing that off-season non-plat/gold comp upgrades were and are at the discretion of the front desk. Instead, it sounds like he drew the short straw with the front desk clerk and on-duty manager.
Have to agree w/ ohmark on this.

And also have to say I'm a bit disappointed in some of my fellow FTers. While most responses were reasonable to the OP (even if not what he wanted to hear) some were quite nasty & not really called for. There were better ways to respond, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 10, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
That is a bit harsh. I was once a silver member and got a room upgrade at the San Francisco Marriott on Market Street to a room with a view. That was my only significant upgrade as a silver member, but it did give me a favorable impression of Marriott, and I hit gold and platinum the following year.
Old Aug 22, 10, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
IMO, what's probably happened is that, when MVCI deeded over 5MM points worth of its unsold inventory at Crystal Shores to the destination club trust, a whole lot of previously languishing units went off the books and off the 'upgrade' system. Essentially, the destination club trust owns them now and they want to promote the new points system. If I'm right, look for more of this in the future at any MVCI resort which had substantial unsold inventory on June 20, 2010 and where flexible 'upgrade policies' existed in the past. As mentioned in another thread, I'm seeing severe changes in unit availability in general, through MARSHA, for the resorts which were not sold out and which contributed large amounts of deeded units to the trust. Signs of things to come? We'll see...
Old Aug 23, 10, 7:49 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GrizShel View Post
Once in a while I have run into Guest Services Reps who have a penchant for saying no to any requests (not just room upgrade requests) in a very assertive fashion, these few tend to throw out phrases like "that's never been our policy", that was done "incorrectly" (at the 97 other properties you stayed at), that's "illegal", etc.
Me, too. On those rare occasions when a desk clerk (or airline employee, whatever) tells me that something I want to do is "illegal," I stop them and ask in a very serious tone, "Are you serious? There is really a law against that in this jurisdiction? Passed by the legislature and signed by the governor? Or is it just a policy?" Usually, the person backs down and admits that it's a policy, not a law, but once or twice the person insisted that it was a law. In those cases, mostly as a teaching moment, I ask them to summon a supervisor and go through the conversation again, always with a different outcome. I don't get excited about it, but these folks really need to learn that hiding behind fantasy laws is not good practice.

Bruce
Old Aug 23, 10, 8:08 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I'm a bit disappointed in some of my fellow FTers. While most responses were reasonable to the OP (even if not what he wanted to hear) some were quite nasty & not really called for. There were better ways to respond, but that's just my opinion.
Good point. I did some minor editing to lower the level of hostility.

Bruce
Old Aug 23, 10, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Have to agree w/ ohmark on this.

And also have to say I'm a bit disappointed in some of my fellow FTers. While most responses were reasonable to the OP (even if not what he wanted to hear) some were quite nasty & not really called for. There were better ways to respond, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers.
I agree - folks it is possible to disagree with someone without being nasty about it - in my eyes it diminishes your contribution to the discussion when you do act that way.
Old Aug 24, 10, 8:00 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold
While I'm w/ the others that I think you were lucky to get an upgrade for multiple years running as a silver, I also understand your disappointment when it didn't happen.

I also appreciate you not doing histrionics in your original post or subsequent posts. Whether we agree w/ them or not, the tone is not the typical DYKWIA (granted, hard to do that w/ Silver, but you know what I mean).

And unlike others I give you a bit of credit of saying, hey this is enough of a dealbreaker for me I'll check out & head down to the Hilton where I can get something better for less $$. It's actions like that (especially if communicated - as you did) to the hotel management that will let them gauge the outcome of the decision on their policy. Now the management may say, screw it, we'll make more out of the upsell than we'll lose to the Hilton - fair enough. They might say maybe we'll reconsider. But they won't know if someone doesn't provide the feedback.

FWIW - I know folk who own some condos down there but have a lot of family who visit quite a lot & usually stay at the Marriott & get upgraded. Granted, these folk could probably afford to buy the hotel (I am not kidding!!), but weirdly enough upgrades still mean something to them. I'll let them know of the recent change in policy.

Thanks for posting, be aware of the policy in the future - now get off the computer & enjoy the view!

Cheers.
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post

+1.

Shame on all of those who are piling on the OP.
Old Aug 24, 10, 8:49 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by matthew gulino View Post
haha, and the view over my laptop IS lovely

I'm actually writing a research paper for school in the background ...so paradise will have to wait until morning, unfortunately.

off to bed soon though...promise!
Aha....
Old Aug 24, 10, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by camachinist View Post
IMO, what's probably happened is that, when MVCI deeded over 5MM points worth of its unsold inventory at Crystal Shores to the destination club trust, a whole lot of previously languishing units went off the books and off the 'upgrade' system. Essentially, the destination club trust owns them now and they want to promote the new points system. If I'm right, look for more of this in the future at any MVCI resort which had substantial unsold inventory on June 20, 2010 and where flexible 'upgrade policies' existed in the past. As mentioned in another thread, I'm seeing severe changes in unit availability in general, through MARSHA, for the resorts which were not sold out and which contributed large amounts of deeded units to the trust. Signs of things to come? We'll see...

Are you saying that you suspect a change in the points system at the property down the street (Marriott's Crystal Shores) is impacting the Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort? If so, can you please elaborate further as I'm missing the connection.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: