FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Four Points Munich Arabellapark (formerly Sheraton Munich), Germany [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1114518-four-points-munich-arabellapark-formerly-sheraton-munich-germany-master-thread.html)

TriNorm Aug 9, 2010 1:41 pm

Four Points Munich Arabellapark (formerly Sheraton Munich), Germany [Master Thread]

I couldn't find a dedicated thread on this hotel, so here we are. . .

I stayed a couple nights here last week while on vacation (weekday stay, 2 nights, C&P); the facility met my needs (roof overhead, bed to sleep on), but overall I was a bit disappointed.

The location is adequate; being on vacation we were touring around and walked downtown (~20 minutes) and through the English garden (~10 minutes.) Check in was okay, wasn't offered my choice of amenities (although amenity points have already posted, so they get points (no pun intended) for that), but was told that I received a room upgrade, and was given basic info on lounge.

While the lobby was fine, the actual floors of the hotel were in horrible state. The facility seems older (which is fine), the carpet was in bad shape and in dire need of replacement (which is less fine), but there was quite literally dirt and garbage strewn about (which is just plain not okay.) In the hotel's defense, there seemed to be lots of kids about (including those that liked to get on the elevator and push every button <sigh>), but the hallways were in bad condition the subsequent day also.

The room was adequate; if it was an upgrade I expect the standard rooms are tiny. It was fine for what we needed, but nothing special; bed/desk/bathroom. Decent view overlooking the city. It did have a small balcony which was nice (not overly functional, but nice.)

The lounge was nice, and the only thing that kept me from disliking the hotel completely. Standard lounge; probably ~8-10 tables and a small couch area. Cold cuts/cheeses/fruit and a warm dish at night, cold cuts/cheeses/fruit/yogurt/bread/muesli in the AM. Beer was free, a Bailey's (which had to be ordered from the bar) was not (but I figured as much, so no worries there.) The employee working the lounge in the evenings (Italian guy whose name I forget) was very nice, albeit overworked towards the end of the night.

Parking was onsite; 20 euro/day. Seemed pricey, but realistically comparable to other hotels in the area.

Bottom line; the lounge was nice, but I wouldn't stay at this facility again unless/until they renovate. The Westin Grand is literally 500 yards (~460 meters if that's how you roll) away and I would try that next time even if it were a few more $$.

Forstbetrieb Aug 9, 2010 3:30 pm

Parking: most the time you can find a place for free in front of the hotel or the area around!

With the rooms ( all time upgraded to a suite ) I was never disappointed.

iwc Aug 9, 2010 3:47 pm

Was this property once called Sheraton Bogenhausen?

Forstbetrieb Aug 9, 2010 4:18 pm

Yes. ^

CIT85 Aug 9, 2010 7:40 pm

I looked inside the hotel lobby when I stayed at the Westin Grand across the street in June and immediately canceled my reservation for 2 days later and rebooked back into the Westin Grand.

Football Fan Aug 15, 2010 11:17 pm

I have experienced staff having a bad attitude at this hotel a few times. Once it got so bad that I felt compelled to fill out a feedback card. Never heard back. When I made my next reservation, I remembered and sent a brief mail to inquire about the status to the general manager (or maybe the person above the general manager). Received a call a few days later from the hotel manager. He was apologetic and said he never received the card. Promised to follow up and get back to me. Never happened.

I find the rooms good enough, and most of the time I get upgraded to a larger room that they call a suite. I don't think the location is convenient to anything, but if you have a car, it is not a big problem. This hotel seems to be available on cash and points more often than others, and then it is a good deal.

Kyo Aug 16, 2010 2:21 am

On my one and only stay mid-Feb this year, I had brilliant service and was upgraded to their version of a suite, with a dining table, some nice chairs etc...

Very spacious for a single person. It was on the club floor also :)

I'd definitely go back based on this stay, but as I said, I might've gotten reaaal lucky... ;)

I was also very polite and went for the local gift. Of which I forget what it was now...

Zurich Flyer Aug 28, 2010 9:37 am

Lounge closed on Sat/Sun evenings

Originally Posted by TriNorm (Post 14449794)
...The lounge was nice, and the only thing that kept me from disliking the hotel completely...

The lounge was nice? Strange... I was not under this impression because there is no lounge on Saturday and Sunday evening "because it is only requested by business people".... :td:

Forstbetrieb Aug 28, 2010 9:53 am

The lounge is closed every weekend evening. Never heard about any exceptions.

In munich only the lounges at the Westin Grand and the sheraton westpark are open all day long on weekends!!!

Zurich Flyer Aug 28, 2010 11:31 am

That's no good! :td: I'd expect a Sheraton in Europe to be a full service hotel. But as so often with hotels from the Arabella group, there are exeptions.

The solution for my next few stays: Avoid the Sheraton and use the Westin.

Dennis Aug 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 14451856)
I looked inside the hotel lobby when I stayed at the Westin Grand across the street in June and immediately canceled my reservation for 2 days later and rebooked back into the Westin Grand.

Good decision!

Dennis Aug 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer (Post 14562532)
That's no good! :td: I'd expect a Sheraton in Europe to be a full service hotel. But as so often with hotels from the Arabella group, there are exeptions.

As long as it is in Europe, ok!

Forstbetrieb Aug 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer (Post 14562532)

If you want a all day open lounge in MUNICH then you should book the Westin Grand Arabellapark or the Sheraton Westpark. If you want to avoid loungeless weekends, then you have to avoid only the Sheraton Arabellapark in munich.

BTW be aware, there is no food in the Westin Grand Arabellapark lounge after 21:00 ( 9:00 p.m. )

Forstbetrieb Nov 15, 2010 1:52 am

Instant award breakfast: 750 points per person and day.

Next year: beginning of room renovations. Floor by floor.

skrosvik Jan 5, 2011 12:59 pm

Not too bad...

Currently staying at the Sheraton Arabellapark - on a 4 night stay. Booked the cheapest room available (€ 79 per night).

I was preupgraded to a Superior Suite. The suite was not ready upon my arrival (noon) so I had to wait a couple of hours. The suite is okey, one large living room and one large bedroom (with two separate beds), but just one very small bathroom. I have never seen such a small bathroom in a suite before. The door crashes into the toilet which is right next to the shower/tub-combination. Little bit disappointed over this, but whatever...

Another funny thing - old tube tvs from Loewe. Would expect flatscreens in suites these days, hehe.

For future travellers - every platinum guests are entitled to two bottles of water from the minibar each day (they do not provide water in the room otherwise).

The wired internet is superfast. Very good!! ^

The club lounge is only open from 1PM till 11PM this week - due to low occupancy, I guess. My sister and I were the only guests in the lounge at 7PM. The offerings are okey, some fish dish and some cold cuts and snacks. Beer and wine served by waitress all day long. Since the lounge is closed for breakfast it is offered downstairs for club- and platinum guests. The breakfast at the restaurant is extensive and fresh, one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever encountered.

All in all - pretty happy with my stay.