Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kaua'i Marriott Resort, HI [Leaving Marriott March, 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
NOTE - This property will be leaving Marriott, currently targeted for March 1, 2021. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32943111-post126.html

Hotel website: Kauai Beach Marriott Resort

Hotel names: Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club, Marriott Resort Kauai, Kalapaki Beach Hotel, Kauai Beachfront Hotel, Kauai Beach Oceanfront Resort.

Note: Not to be confused with either Marriott's Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipuʻu (an adjacent MVC property) or Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club (another MVC property but in Poipu/Koloa)

Hat tip to VickiSoCal.

Resort fee(30) for for Gold/Plat includes, value in parentheses

Self parking (17)
Internet (15) used, but true value to G/P is 0.
2 complimentary mai-tai's, or coffees, or pastries,
2-Hr tennis (25)
Free long distance and local calls
Hula lessons
Yoga class
Kids 12 and under free breakfast with adult purchase
Free water bottle daily (5/day)
10% off cabana rentals (beach cabana is 50/day for elites, 55 for non, book way in advance, they only have 3)
Free appetizer at Kukui's with entree purchase

Hat tip to sorka:

At check-in, I have been told that since I was Platinum, I could either go with the resort fee or with the parking fee.

Property maps from May 2018:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

I'll be visiting this resort soon and was wondering if they give platinum members free parking and breakfast? Thank you!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Unless things have changed when I was there, don't expect free parking or free breakfast. I was a platinum... However, maybe parking was free already... I don't recall. If you self parked, it was a bit of a hike up a hill and the lot is huge so I wouldn't be shocked if the parking was free... Ah I just searched... $14!

Yeah so as a platinum, I didn't get either of those perks. In fact, I didn't even get much of an ugprade.

That being said, Kauai is a beautiful place, and I thought the marriott there was fantastic. Great pool!

Enjoy your trip!

Note: i was there 3 years ago. Maybe things have changed.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
The parking charge is new (to me). I stay there every year. Yes, you will be charged.

No (US) resorts offer free breakfast to plats. This one does not for sure.

Billy
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
I'm heading there in about 2 weeks. I'm a Gold and hoping for an upgrade. Visited about 5 years ago as a Silver had a terrible garden room. Run down and stared at a tree and service area.
Anyone been there since the recent ugrade? Wondering how it turned out.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, PC Plat, UA
I was there in Nov. There was no free breakfast, can't comment on the parking as we got the shuttle from the airport and hired from Hertz at the hotel.

I rented a car on a daily basis, partly as it worked out cheaper (I didn't need it for the full week) and partly to get the double / triple marriott points! This might be an option for you if you factor in the parking - that way you can drop the car at the bell stand too.

I had booked an oceanfront 1 bed villa and as that type is limited, there was no further upgrade.

We spent a week there, a week on Maui and a few days in Waikiki. I loved the Maui Marriott and loved Waikiki (the Marriott there was pretty good too).

The Kauai Marriott is nice, great pool, so-so beach, 1 bed villa we had was a littled dated and there is not a great deal in the vacinity.

However, once you start exploring, the scenery on Kauai was probably the best - it's suprisingly different from all the others.

Have a great time...oh and buy Kauai uncovered. Great book

David
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Marriott Kauai

Thanks everyone! I did get a car already...got a great deal on hotwire.com...6 days for $155! Not looking forward to the hike from the lot now! I was so indecisive between Maui or Kauai...decided Kauai due to the island's geography. Are there any boat tours that would go to Maui for a day? Anything else interesting or beneficial I should know about Kauai or the Marriott itself?? Thanks!! Christina
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If your room is on the far east side (and even if it isn't) look for the little road to the right, on the drive up to the "parking lot" that heads down to a back parking lot just behind the hotel). We found it on day 2 and from then on it was about 50 steps from our room to our car.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:23 pm

Yep I have stayed here, pretty lousy Marriott. Next time book Maui!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Marriott Kauai

Awesome since I already booked it using point I've built for 3 years. Thanks Gomike. jk Is the beach clear water at least?? How far to walk to Poipu? Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Walking to poipu? From the Kauai Marriott in Lahue? It's a 13 mile drive, and almost 30 min drive to get there by car.

Pretty hilly, but not mountainous. I'd guess if you were in great shape and could maintain 3.5 miles/hr you could get there in about 4 hours. It would take me a lot longer, but I'm 50.

Despite what other posters have said, I like the hotel. They just completed a renovation and there is a lot of new construction activity on the top of the hill where the ritz carlton stuff is going in. More places to walk/jog than there were a few years ago.

There are (were) at least three parking areas, and depending on how they charge for parking and where your room is, you may want to pick a parking area. You won't know for sure until you check-in and find out where your rooom is. Just ask them where the closest parking is.

Billy
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Looks like there'll be a bit of a flyertalk convention there. I'll be heading to this hotel in a few weeks for a one night stay before heading on to my other reservation
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by chrispy723
Awesome since I already booked it using point I've built for 3 years. Thanks Gomike. jk Is the beach clear water at least?? How far to walk to Poipu? Thanks!
It's a very pretty drive to Poipu. You go through one portion where it's like a tunnel of trees. The Marriott Vacation Club at Poipu is a nice place to stop by and check out. You might even be able to get a day at the resort plus a voucher or something if you go and actually take the timeshare presentation. The beach in Poipu is much nicer, but the pool at the Marriott Resort is MUCH nicer. One of my favorites. And yes... the beach water there is clear. To save some $, you can walk over to Duke's for lunch. Very reasonably priced and above average food.
Originally Posted by phedre
I'll be heading to this hotel in a few weeks for a one night stay before heading on to my other reservation
And where might that other rez be at?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
And where might that other rez be at?
http://www.kauaicountryinn.com/

no loyalty program, but it does have an organic orchard that guests are welcome to pick from, and a "no one under 12" policy which I love.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by phedre
http://www.kauaicountryinn.com/

no loyalty program, but it does have an organic orchard that guests are welcome to pick from, and a "no one under 12" policy which I love.
Looks nice - enjoy! There are definitely PLENTY of kids at the Marriott .
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
I was there last December, and i unfortunately don't recall really any MR perks (and i'm even a Plat Premier) that was the only frustrating thing of the whole trip.

I would self-park if you're looking to save a few $$ - it's not a hard walk at all, and if you're room is on the far side of the resort, there is a lot literally right out the door.

We've been to this resort 3 times and each one we thoroughly enjoy.

Free breakfast is a downer for status folks, but honestly, the best loophole you can find is to get the mugs for free soda and coffee. My in-laws gave us their mugs for a XMas present last year (they were there in summer), and this was just great to have coffee and drinks whenever we watned w/out the headaches of $5 surcharges all the time.

And if you have kids ... it's a must have.

Enjoy the trip!

Do the ziplines in Princeville ... a new attraction since our last visit and the course was like 12 runs or something. Super fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.