Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Is there a PLAT cocktail hour? The property sent this to me as one of the PLAT benefits.
Yes that is what I am trying to communicate above. 1 hour. 6-7 pm

Originally Posted by SC Alum
I couldn't find the $75 per night deal. I don't think they still have them. Now, the going rate is about $150++ per night.
Per their website:

Sit back, relax and let the ocean rejuvenate you. Book our limited time opening offer and enjoy;

* Nightly accommodation in a Superior Sea View room overlooking stunning Siray Bay featuring;
o Private outdoor balcony with sweeping ocean views
o Signature Westin Heavenly Bed®

Rates starting from Baht 2010+++ or USD 59+++ for stays on all days of the week. This limited time offer is valid for stays booked from now until September 30, 2010 and consumed by October 31, 2010. Offer is fully pre-paid, nonrefundable and unchangeable.

Originally Posted by go4bal
What kind of costs does the resort have for food in their restaurants? What is the cost of breakfast? What about drinks? Thanks.
Breakfast is included in many of the rates it appears. Platinum guests get free breakfast. The cost of food is on par with the Westin Grand Sukhumvit.

The drinks are not robbery when I looked at the menu. I don't drink alcohol but the non alcoholic drinks (smoothies etc.) were 190 bahts.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by schley

Rates starting from Baht 2010+++ or USD 59+++ for stays on all days of the week. This limited time offer is valid for stays booked from now until September 30, 2010 and consumed by October 31, 2010. Offer is fully pre-paid, nonrefundable and unchangeable.
Anybody got any luck getting the introductory rate recently. Stayed for a couple of nights at the Intro rate, but since the 10K bonus points announcement, I only got the 4500++ baht rate.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SC Alum
Anybody got any luck getting the introductory rate recently. Stayed for a couple of nights at the Intro rate, but since the 10K bonus points announcement, I only got the 4500++ baht rate.
I got it for the 4 days but had to search a 10 day window moving my arrival and departure back 1 day each for that window. I came up with arriving on either the 12 or 13 staying for 4 nights to qualify for the promo.

Simply start a search with 4 days and move it back one day at a time, I know it can take 5 or so minutes but it is worth the effort.

EDIT: I just did the search as I directed above and found nothing under 4500. I would contact the property directly and see if you can get anywhere.

The Le Meridien Chang Mai has the same rate available 2010 bahts btw and it participates in the triple points.

Last edited by schley; Sep 15, 2010 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:39 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Phuket's Westin Siray Bay negotiates with local Taxi Mafia

Some very bad news from Thailand's newest SPG property. Note that this hotel is said to be quite isolated, making transportation prices especially subject to price increases.

It appears that the management at the new Westin on Phuket island is caving into demand from the influential taxi mafia.

I fear that if this agreement is accepted, customers will be prevented from choosing and reserving their own personal drivers. They will then only have the extorted (and possibly illegal) sliding scale of fares designed to cheat Thais international tourists.

I urge the hotel to reconsider this arrangement, which could be very bad for its customers.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-...-resort-13043/

The new, stylish resort has just opened on Siray Island, east of Phuket City. The Westin is the latest to be approached to join in an arrangement that would allow local drivers to establish a virtual monopoly on transporting guests around Phuket.

Phuketwan believes that the delegation was planning to request that 70 local drivers of all types of vehicles be permitted by management to pick up guests at the hotel on an exclusive basis.
People within the tourism industry say the biggest source of complaints by tourists who visit Phuket remains the high fares demanded by tuk-tuks and taxis, both registered and unregistered.

Many people who are ripped off avoid Phuket in future and instead go to other destinations, say travel agents, tourism industry officials and resort managers.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:54 am

They would do much better by allowing free access to legitimate "Meter Taxi"s, which may be the only legal taxis outside of the airport authority.

You can tell the type of vehicle permit by the color of the license plate in Thailand.

Yellow = Taxi, Mini-van, Bus, Motorcycle Taxi
Green = Airport Taxi
White = Standard Thai passenger vehicle
Red = Newly registered vehicle, awaiting permanent tag

If the Westin does allow mafia cars, they should be aware of the legal consequences of doing so. As I understand it, cars without the yellow plates are not insured for taxi fares. I have been told that the Green plated vehicles are only covered for insurance for trips to and from the Airport. Many of the Phuket taxis have only WHITE plates. Will they be prevented from operating, knowing that they are not legitamite taxis?

If the Westin enters into a legal agreement for Phuket transportation to provide exclusive service from its hotel, and the vehicles are not properly insured to carry commercial fares, will the hotel then be liable for any damages if accidents, or damages occur, including medical bills, medical evacuation, and loss of income coverage?

Last edited by seanthepilot; Oct 2, 2010 at 7:09 am
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thanks for the information Sean, sounds like potential short term gain$ at the expense of driving tourists to avoid returning. Glad to hear the tourist assn is aware of the issue.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
thanks. very informative. must be why I love Samui so much.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Until management sees the light and gets this fixed I will avoid this property.

They have to know people who come to HKT are not ignorant and don't enjoy paying 1000bht for a 400 bht ride.

It comes from the top and I'll give this place a pass.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
Recently arrived back from a planned 8 night stay at the Westin (only stayed 5 nights).

We arranged a pick up with the hotel (Toyota Camry) via email. Cost B1,000 added to bill, also gave the driver B100. The hotel rep was not especially easy to find. They stand outside the airport and there are a bunch of doors leading outside. Once found, he called up the driver and we were picked up 5 mins later. The car was clean, newish with bottled water. Drove at a nice slow pace. We also took the limo back to the airport - same experience.

As others have reported, the hotel is on a steep hill. We started off being one level up from the restaurant/pool area and the steps were a pain. If we'd been higher up (gym level) we'd have wanted to take the golf buggy up each time.

We got a family suite, I think. One bedroom with a similar sized living room (with sofa bed). Only one bathroom. Extremely bland decor, nothing to suggest you are in Thailand. Very soulless. No free massage for plats - I checked they said I could have biscuits instead. They were OK.

The drains smell started on day 2. By evening 3 it was pretty bad and so we looked for a new room on day 4. A very helpful lady called Yah (at reception) looked after us. Very keen that we should not let this spoil our experience of the hotel, etc. Of course, it did, but the way she handled our request to change rooms offset this to a large extent. Not sure she'd have been able to do so much when it gets busier, though. Anyway, we were offered a Pool Villa suite which we took after checking it out. This a detached one bed/one bathroom villa with a dinky little plunge pool and a nice outside lounging area and a splendid view. The room is smaller than the suite we left but much warmer. No drain problems! Also closer to the main eating/pool area.

The place is pretty isolated so we ate at the hotel a few times. The daily buffet was pretty grim one evening when it was very quiet - all the 'hot' food was cold/dried out and they were clearly reheating food every now and again. The salads were yesterdays leftovers. Another occasion (the first) was much better. Both times, lots of shellfish which seemed good quality. They automatically provide you with water, always a good sign.

The Thai restaurant downstairs was very nice, decor-wise. Food seemed OK, but definitely not great. Portions were pretty large so perhaps note has been taken of previous comments on Flyertalk.

Breakfast in the buffet restaurant is OK. Not a patch on Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit more like Sheraton Hua Hin, I'd say. They do serve Old Amsterdam Cheese, though!

Pool areas were still fairly quiet during out stay so lots of loungers available.

We went off to Patong one day. Took the hotel bus to Phuket Town and then walked to the 'Local Bus Station' (it's on the map they give you). The local bus to Patong is then B25 each - a fun ride albeit a little dusty. A cab back to the hotel that night was B500.

A 4 day visit would have been better for some chilling out. We got bored and so checked out early. Next time we'll probably stick with SGS Bangkok and Sheraton Pattaya.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:35 am

An update from a more reputable newspaper about this situation at the Westin. http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=9341 The gazette says that the hotel is delaying announcement and agreement with the organized taxi operators.

I think it is important to let the know how guests feel about this situation. Trip Advisor and other sites are very critical of the (extortionate) taxi rates in the area. The Hilton in Karon Beach has had trouble for a while in this respect, and it has affected its guests satisfaction ratings.

Recently, the Movenpick resort, also on Karon Beach, was standing up to the taxi mafia by allowing guests the choice to choose their own transportation. Certain attractions provide free pickup and dropoff. The taxi mafia wanted to prevent these courtesy shuttles from entering the hotel grounds. The hotel did the right thing for their guests and made a stand. I tried to google the story (as I'm sure my paraphrasing and memory isn't 100% accurate), but couldn't find it.

Last year, the airport authority reduced the number of authorized taxis for the original company, and granted a second company authorization to provide (green plated) airport taxis. When the original contracted provider complained, the airport authority said they had reduced the number of their company's licenses to the number of cars that they were properly licensed for. The remaining car licenses were awarded to the second (new & competing) company.

Just today, at our hotel, our guests reserved a taxi with one of the big operators in Patong, to pick them up and take them to the airport. The car that showed up was quite old (8 - 10 years) and looked to be in poor condition. The license plate on the car was white, which means that the car was a private and the vehicle was likely not authorized to provide commercial transportation. I'll bet the driver didn't have proper licencing either.

The point is that even dealing with the 'legitimate operators', they have a anything goes attitude in terms of their responsibilities. While I wonder about licencing and insurance issues, other concerns such as maintenance and safety, of some vehicles is obvious just by looking.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Oct 5, 2010 at 6:13 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:54 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I would expect a chain like Starwood, and a brand like Westin to secure the exact transportation I ask for as a guest. Around the world you can choose to use limousines, licenced taxi drivers, or cheaper alternatives. Frankly, my safety and comfort are paramount and if we chose not to use the hotel's E Class, I would expect a registered taxi operator with the correct credentials. If the Westin Siray Bay is colluding with the local taxi mafia in such a manner I will cancel my upcoming stay. While I appreciate it may be specific to the destination, the hotel should have my custom as their main concern.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I would expect a registered taxi operator with the correct credentials.
Is there even such a thing in Phuket, meter taxis are almost non-existent and only do airport runs. The closest to what you are expecting is the ... tuk-tuk. I do not believe Phuket is the place for you ....
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Thumbs down

:-:
Originally Posted by mario33
Is there even such a thing in Phuket, meter taxis are almost non-existent and only do airport runs. The closest to what you are expecting is the ... tuk-tuk. I do not believe Phuket is the place for you ....
My thoughts exactly. Just spent 4 nights in Phuket. Basically walked or hired a car with driver. I didn't want to haggle for every single taxi ride, so did the next best thing and rented a car for the whole day. I was offered an SUV Toyota Fortuner, 1000bath for 10 hours including gas and driver, didn't haggle and accepted it right away. A toyota Vios would cost about 800 bath. Great Deal IMO.

Of course it is not through the hotel. Hotel rates would be at least 3x
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
rent a car

We have 5 nights booked at the Westin and then 5 nights in Samui.

We usually rent a car while in Phuket (Budget or Sixt). It eliminates transport to/from the airport and we can go anywhere that we want.
Also, a great way to get to LM Khao Lak or Sheraton Krabi.

We usually drive one-way Samui/Phuket or Phuket/Samui. There are no car drop off fees for rentals over 5 days and under 5 days, the charge is not much.
From Samui, we fly to U-Tapao (Pattaya).

The drive around Phang Nga Bay is beautiful and the highway to Samui (I think it is #4) is fairly new and has little traffic. The car ferry to Samui is cheap and easy. It's also nice to have a car on Samui.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I can't find Thailand on the Sixt website. I imagine on day tours such as boat trips tour operators will pick you up from yout hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.