Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Siray Bay, Phuket, Thailand (Rebranding to an RC in 2025)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:37 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Overall this property was brilliant when it opened, but it is literally falling apart. We have chosen not to return and explore other destinations.
YAWN !!!!

I'm sorry that your suite/pool "ruined" your experience and that you didn't get the same upgrade this year that you got last year. Did you ever think to use the hotel pool? It looks GREAT to me. Really, your story seems overly dramatic, especially when you mention the great personalized service you had getting your credit card delivered. (I once tried to get AmEx to send one to me in Dakar. They WOULDN'T send me one 555).
Sounds like you solved things by checking out early anyway.

As for the building repairs...
As in many properties, especially in Thailand, there is shoddy construction. (Also related to why the Le Meridiens in Bangkok and Chiang Mai were delayed opening, and I would guess the same reason that the new Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi is delayed)

A few years after opening a team has to come in and fix all the problems.

I noticed significant repairs during my visit this week to the retaining walls in the public areas and parking area. It looks to me like they are fixing things. I think it would be a problem if they were not fixing things.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
YAWN !!!!

I'm sorry that your suite/pool "ruined" your experience and that you didn't get the same upgrade this year that you got last year. Did you ever think to use the hotel pool? It looks GREAT to me. Really, your story seems overly dramatic, especially when you mention the great personalized service you had getting your credit card delivered. (I once tried to get AmEx to send one to me in Dakar. They WOULDN'T send me one 555).
If I had paid for a pool villa, it would NOT have been okay if the pool was dirty and unusable. Obviously, we all have different preferences and expectations, but I see little reason to yawn at m0hamed's issues.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by heakja
If I had paid for a pool villa, it would NOT have been okay if the pool was dirty and unusable. Obviously, we all have different preferences and expectations, but I see little reason to yawn at m0hamed's issues.
OK, perhaps I misunderstood that the poster had been upgraded to this category of room.

Certainly, if they booked and paid either cash or points for that category of suite, then it would be expected to receive it in full working order or be upgraded to any similar/higher category room, without a doubt.

If, in fact they had booked this suite and it was not with the amenities it had described, I would expect that they would not have to pay for the room on that/those night(s).

I didn't hear the poster mention either so just assumed that it was an upgrade.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
YAWN !!!!

As for the building repairs...
As in many properties, especially in Thailand, there is shoddy construction. (Also related to why the Le Meridiens in Bangkok and Chiang Mai were delayed opening, and I would guess the same reason that the new Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi is delayed)

A few years after opening a team has to come in and fix all the problems.

I noticed significant repairs during my visit this week to the retaining walls in the public areas and parking area. It looks to me like they are fixing things. I think it would be a problem if they were not fixing things.
Drop the attitude, mate. The first line says:

Sorry, I have to disagree. We stayed for our 4th occasion in February. We always book the One Bedroom Sala Pool Villa and stay for 7 - 10 days.
A stay can have good and bad points. I clearly illustrated both. To say that the credit card delivery overshadowed that the pool we booked and paid for was dirty is ludicrous. We only ever book private pool villas when we travel to resorts.

The whole point of booking a private pool villa is to not use the main pools. We value our privacy and want to have a travel experience that doesn't involve listening to others' conversations, or screaming children.

The previous year's upgrade was to a two level villa but within the same category. I did not ask for this, it was offered, and in the end were happy with the same villa type, but with a different pool.

We paid for all of the nights, and did not check out early as we got what we paid for 2 days later which is all we ever expect.

Also, the build was always bad, but the wearing with age is much worse. How is it acceptable for a property of this stature to have the light switch labels upside down? The drain ill fitting in the shower.

I recall on our very first day the pool filter wouldn't turn off. The engineers had to come every time we wanted it on or off. When a pool filter is directly under your room, the noise will drive you crazy.

Any FTer can read all of posts in this thread and see how the hotel has aged.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
m0hammed, I'm curious at to whether you contacted Janet or not? She seemed very responsive and customer-oriented when I last stayed there.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We spent 7 nights in February. Some things in the room were a little worn to be fair but those minor things, and they really were minor, were more than made up for by a truly fantastic staff. JM seemed very pleasant but we were especially impressed with Alex Lopez, The Westin Experience Manager, as well as Ploy, the young lady, who along with Alex could not do more to make us welcome and our stay special.

I agree with m0hamed about the Platinum drink at the Prego Moon Deck. Very special
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I will be heading there for 5 days with the wife in May. I was there last year for a week and it was fine. I am not sure how things are these days.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:28 am

I think the Westin Siray is great value for Plats when booking a lower category room - if booking a villa, the general wear and tear (=build quality) might be disappointing.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:37 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by remymartin
I think the Westin Siray is great value for Plats when booking a lower category room - if booking a villa, the general wear and tear (=build quality) might be disappointing.
Correct. The build quality of the villas is far more noticeable when there are broken tiles in the pool that are a hazard, the bath tub is splitting in half, and the sliding doors leading to either the terrace and pool don't lock properly.

I should add that we did a Full Moon Dinner on the Prego moon deck and it was amazing value for money. An Italian buffet including lobster and several chefs who would make you fresh pasta, cooked to order as well as pizza, antipasta, and more desserts than you can possibly imagine. The entire power cut out several times, including the lights, but other than was definitely something guests should do during the stay if possible.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:26 am

Drop the attitude, mate.
OK Mo, you're correct.

As you see, once I realized you had paid for that category, I agreed with you. I jumped the gun, and was wrong on my assumption.

...I misunderstood that the poster had been upgraded to this category of room.

Certainly, if they booked and paid either cash or points for that category of suite, then it would be expected to receive it in full working order or be upgraded to any similar/higher category room, without a doubt.
Again I misunderstood. Now I see that you were stuck with a bad room and they wouldn't change it until you decided to check out. It reflects poorly on the hotel that you had to push them, and then suddenly they found a room for you. You have a right to be pretty disappointed by this.

Also, the build was always bad, but the wearing with age is much worse. How is it acceptable for a property of this stature to have the light switch labels upside down? The drain ill fitting in the shower.

...Any FTer can read all of posts in this thread and see how the hotel has aged.
Again, I never commented on the condition of the property. My excitement was for the new management team. Hopefully, events like the one you described will be a thing of the past.

Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:31 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Hopefully, events like the one you described will be a thing of the past.

I hope so. I think after 4 consecutive years, when we haven't left the resort after the first stay, we decided to visit different destinations.

It's still a good property, and greta value on SPG50, it was just much better soon after they opened.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

As you see, once I realized you had paid for that category, I agreed with you. I jumped the gun, and was wrong on my assumption.

Even if not paying, rather being upgraded, you should be able to expect the same quality of hard product.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA IK
Stayed last month for five nights. Left with mixed emotions about it.

Negatives: built on very steep hillside, tons of steps, golf carts will take you around but sometimes there is a wait. Sits on a muddy tidal area land there is no nice ocean swim/beach area, isolated with no nearby shops, bars or restaurants, swarms of insects around dusk

Positives: nice gym and pool, staff seemed friendly and were quick to resolve problems, relatively cheap prices, nice happy hour for Plats
Old May 6, 2014, 3:03 am

You pretty much summed up spot on what this resort is about!
Old May 30, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I just came back from a four night stay. This is my second stay which says a lot as I normally like to try new properties. This property overall is noticeably worse this second time around. From top to bottom from check-in to check-out there are issues. My largest pet peeve was the breakfast. On the final day we had a choice of purple grapes, green grapes and papaya. Being in a tropical resort with coconuts, jack fruit and other fruits growing on the property you would expect more. I can get a better fruit selection from a four points in the middle of nowhere. I wrote a pretty scathing review on spg.com and tripadvisor. However, I was fair and included all the positive items as well. Sadly the negative far outweighs the positive. I will not be returning to this property. Although there are slight cost savings this gets wiped out as you are forced to take cars everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.